Brighthelmstone Loco Works - Inspired by Brighton 1870's

• RMweb Gold

You should have a real sense of satisfaction now.

Thanks James!

Does the fact I am yet to put the layout away show how much satisfaction I feel??

I will indeed keep pictures coming as it get inhabited!! I will have a look for some lamps to attach to the backscene soon. In the meantime the layout is eagerly awaiting the arrival of Hatton's newest release so it can be used as a photo plank for the first time!!

Gary

• Like 5

Not completely stolen from me! But I like it nonetheless and may well steal your idea of a works wall to photograph things against.

I was thinking more front three-quarter view. Also, whilst it's too late for this one, perhaps do one in 'works grey' each time (i.e. primer with the black bits painted!) as a project progresses...

• Like 1

Glad to hear it!

Of course, should you be an immediate post-grouping German you would have money to burn (being cheaper than coal...), but if you're an immediate post-brexit Briton with some time to burn in a similar fashion, i.e. liberally, then may I suggest full lining out in works grey?

No?

Ok...

Gratuitous Synthetically-emotional pictogramme:  :jester:

• Like 1

This is really very good indeed!

Not sure how I missed it.

Brick walls as a backdrop to show-off locos ....... always a good idea.

You could have some fun with the official photographer hanging up a huge sheet on a wooden frame, which they used to do. In some ‘officials’, you can see wrinkles in the sheets. But, didn’t the Brighton takethings out on the Crumbles to get good all round lighting, and no distracting background?

Kevin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

But, didn’t the Brighton take things out on the Crumbles to get good all round lighting, and no distracting background?

Thanks Kevin!

Yes the Brighton seemed to either use the Crumbles or the turntable outside the roundhouse in Eastbourne, but the Crumbles wouldn't be as fun to build, and Eastbourne roundhouse wouldn't fit on the board!!

Gary

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well I'm sure no-one that reads my Oak Hill thread will be shocked to hear that the first loco I wanted to play with on Brighthelmstone has arrived!!!

and what a nice box it came in!

post-22762-0-41278200-1522265633_thumb.jpg

A couple of pictures of it as it came out the box:

post-22762-0-34569600-1522265635_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-61506300-1522265637_thumb.jpg

I also posed it with some SE&CR stock. It must have just been shunting!!

post-22762-0-15259700-1522265640_thumb.jpg

and next to a Terrier to remind people just how small it is!

post-22762-0-21119000-1522265642_thumb.jpg

Since taking those photos I have been busy working on something else! but I have just managed to get some shots, with the tension locks removed and detail parts added!

post-22762-0-97170900-1522265643_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-54135600-1522265645_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-14334600-1522265648_thumb.jpg

Now while it is no secret that I don't have much in the way of modern stock, I have to say that this loco has the BEST cab I have ever seen on a model!! I have not run it yet, but if it runs anywhere near as good as it looks I will be very happy!!

and now for something that may shock you. I have just updated my Hailsham thread!!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Good news everybody!!

I have been working on some more locos, and they don't really fit in with Oak Hill's 1905ish time period so where better to show them of that my photoplank!! (Did someone say Hailsham?? Yes that is they layout they are destined for but shush, I'll do stock on there later!)

So 2 E2s sit outside Brighthelmstone Locomotive works, fresh from overhaul, and with a fresh coat of goods black!

post-22762-0-12699300-1524855073_thumb.jpg

Looking much better now, it is a shame I couldn't manage to get the cab off the extended tank one to paint the interior, I shall try and at least get some cream painted in there before I add a crew.

Gary

• Like 5

I reckon they're Hornby ones... Gary already had a short tank one, and the extended tank one arrived recently.

My own E2's are a short tank one and a long tank one bashed out of an E2 and the later Thomas model.

• Like 1

I was given both...

The only reason people like them is because of that cheeky little blue b******!

Why could the Rev. Awdry have chosen an E1 instead or even my own interpretation of what the aforementioned blue b****** was:

E1_XS_LBSCR_689_bag998-M.jpg

The E1x... Much more of a likeness with that flat footplate.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

They are indeed both Hornby models! one which has brass tank overlays. I am very happy with how they have come out, and to add to the criticism of the class, I only have them as I eventually want one of everything that the LBSC had at the time of grouping!

Gary

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Certainly a very nice transformation of the pair of slightly down on their luck model locomotives you started with Gary.  

The horror of a certain little blue engine haunts all those who make models of tank engines and it becomes worse if your railway company really does have a legitimate and plausible blue livery.

NxdgnV7.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Killian!

I spent quite a while looking for a suitable Victorian font!!

Gary

Were you inspired by the Dubarry Perfumery factory at Hove? The factory was built in the 1920s, but they looked back to the French Revolution for their name, so doubtless they wanted another classic period's script for their perfumery's lettering. http://hovehistory.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/dubarry-perfumery-hove-park-villas.html

post-14351-0-09313800-1524899708_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Annie,

Thanks!! Yes indeed they type is haunted by a small blue engine! Which could never have been an E2 in real life!!! Did no-one look up the passenger trials of the E2's before deciding that?? Why couldn't he stay as an LNER J50 as Rev Awdry originally planned!! (I would like to the source of this info but the website is now dead)

Phil,

Although I couldn't put my inspiration down to one specific building as I looked at quite a few, mostly from Victorian and Edwardian photos, but that is exactly the sort of thing I was looking at when I was deciding how I wanted the font.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Indeed! He had a J50 in mind when he made that model. It was Reginald Payne who illustrated "Thomas the Tank Engine" that decided he should be an E2. In fact a google image search for LNER J50 turned this up very close to the top!!

post-22762-0-44277500-1524917063.jpg

Which I think shows that the good reverend had got a decent enough likeness to the prototype!! (considering it was crudely carved out of wood!!)

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 4

Why is it that, whenever I want to search for railway stuff (the LBSCR being particularly afflicted) I always end up having to search through all the thomas stuff to find what I'm actually looking for?!

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Brighthelmstone goes 1840's!!

One of the things I wanted to be able to do on this layout was to be able to place anything there, and it not look out of place, and with the completion of my latest loco project, it felt like the time was right to test that out!!

2026557112_2019-06-2418_49_39.jpg.335261c4b751e937ab11fe0817b1fe90.jpg

Needless to say I am very happy with the result! The Norris has plans to become something more British, but just as early, a project that will be a future YouTube Livestream project!

Gary

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone! Long time no look at this thread! but the layout came out for a photo shoot last night!!

People that watch my livestreams will know that last week my LBSC Craven Tank took a fall off the workbench, which meant that this week it got some attention to repair it, and upgrade parts that I had been meaning to upgrade, such as the cab roof supports, and most importantly it got some final cosmetic attention to really make it look posh.

So without further ado, I present number 27. Avaliable from @Javier L's Shapeways shop here: https://www.shapeways.com/product/E6YCUDGSD/lbscr-early-craven-tank-27-0-4-2t?optionId=136812760&li=shops

1103839951_2020-10-3020_39_42.jpg.e87fd7ab6ae28dcacb4965732983f3a2.jpg

412257354_2020-10-3020_39_35.jpg.f2dd64cddaf5f15dd58a0a1743ff489d.jpg

270710852_2020-10-3020_39_29.jpg.a205e0f433caf5a753a1a17d198aedfe.jpg

Gary

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4