Dapol 'O' 57XX / 8750

H4706

For £35 the King works remarkably well. Reasonable sync at low speeds. (Only 2 cylinder sound despite the prototype it is meant to represent)

The TTS round speakers are poor and need an upgrade to get the best from the chip.

Neal

cheers, did you just chop the speaker off the tts chip and connect a better one to the decoder or did you wire the speaker to the speaker connector on the pcb?

cheers, did you just chop the speaker off the tts chip and connect a better one to the decoder or did you wire the speaker to the speaker connector on the pcb?

I don’t think the decoder enables the speaker connection on the pcb, so have connected new speakers to the decoder.

Neal

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure I won't be the only owner to break off the delicate and exposed tank filler cap handle. Warren Shephard offers what looks like a suitable replacement as a casting (Part 005 at http://www.warrenshephard.com/Fittings/lococastings.htm). But before I try to remove the Dapol cap, perhaps somebody can confirm that it is a separate part and not part of the body moulding. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Was that meant to happen??!! :O :D ;)

Not really. I was only changing the logo!

On that note - I've put a note in the wanted section but if anyone has a spare pair of pressfix small later BR totems (left facing) that they would be willing to part with for a small sum, please pm me! 

Edited by Hal Nail

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. I have also reduced to sound level of the draincocks. Set CV584 to 50 for a more reasonable sound level.

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim, Like you I find the sound level of the draincocks overpowering.  May I ask how you idenitifed the number of this CV?  Perhaps there's a complete list of CVs for this model?  The Dapol instructions are very brief - they don't even recommend the number of speed steps for the DCC controller.

Edited by Krok182

Hi, Did you get any answer from Dapol regarding the sound functions (mine's the same)?

Hi there,

In the end they sent me a Full List of CV numbers to control all the obvious sound volumes. I’ve got all the Dapol Locos covered now (full cv sets from the factory) except the 64/74xx which has a horrendous factory set of cvs. I so far haven’t managed to turn down one particular ‚noise’ which I think is an attempt at auto coal shoveling and injection at the same time. It makes it unusable actually. No one seems no know what cv controls that.

But the 8750 is good now. Try changing cv584 way down. It worked for me.

Edited by seeseerider

• 4 weeks later...

My Dapol LT 57xx arrived from hattons with a small blackened brass plate wedged under a tank top pipe, would anyone know where it came from ?

Also One tripcock support bracket needs gluing back to the footplate.

It is a nice looking model though!!

Edit..its a footstep from the front of the tank..

post-369-0-07355100-1541976080_thumb.jpg

Edited by kernowtim

• 3 weeks later...

... Try changing cv584 way down. It worked for me.

Many thanks - yes, this did the trick.

Dapol have also sent me an expanded list of sound CVs for the 57xx, so I reproduce it all below for others.

(NB: changing the Overall Volume cv266 seems to reset other sound values, including cv584.

And lowest value is "1", a "0" being the equivalent of "255" or max.)

This is APPLICABLE TO THE ZIMO SOUND DECODERS ONLY!

Effect / CV No.

Overall volume = 266

F0 = 571

Fl = 514

F2 = 517

F3 = 520

F4 = 523

F5 = 526

F6 = 529

F7 = 532

F8 = 535

F9 = 538

F10 = 541

F11 = 544

F12 = 547

F13 = 550

F14 = 553

F15 = 556

F16 = 559

F17 = 562

F18 = 565

F19 = 568

F20 = 674

F21 = 677

F22 = 680

F23 = 683

F24 = 686

F25 = 689

F26 = 692

F27 = 695

F28 = 698

BOILING = 574

CHANGE DIRECTION = 576

BRAKE SQUEAL = 578

THYRISTOR = 580

START WHISTLE = 582

BLOW OFF (Draincocks) = 584

E-MOTOR = 586

DRIVING SOUNDS = 588

SWITCHGEAR = 590

2ND THYRISTOR = 492

PANTO UP = 594

PANTO DOWN = 596

PANTO STOP (DOWN) = 598

TURBO = 600

DYNAMICE BRAKE = 602

SWITCH INPUT 1 = 739

SWITCH INPUT 2 = 741

SWITCH INPUT 3 = 744

RANDOM 1 = 745

RANDOM 2 = 748

RANDOM 3 = 751

RANDOM 4 = 754

RANDOM 5 = 757

RANDOM 6 = 760

RANDOM 7 = 763

RANDOM 8 = 766

Edited by Krok182

... I’ve got all the Dapol Locos covered now (full cv sets from the factory) except the 64/74xx which has a horrendous factory set of cvs. I so far haven’t managed to turn down one particular ‚noise’ which I think is an attempt at auto coal shoveling and injection at the same time. It makes it unusable actually. No one seems no know what cv controls that.

Keith at Dapol also kindly provided the answer to your 64/74xx issue:

the random sound sequence of coal shovelling with injector on the 64/74xx is sound 'RANDOM1', therefore the CV to use for the volume adjustment is CV745. A value of 1 will effectively silence this sound.

• 3 weeks later...

I give up on this model. I ordered when first advertised from Rails, waited for over a year for it to be released, then was told it had been withdrawn because of a wiring problem. When it did arrive in early May this year, it was damaged, inside motion was disconnected in 2 places and it ran like a dog. Returned it, was replaced and all seemed to be fine. Well, I only had  a chance to run it a few times on my 12' test layout, and all seemed good. However, over the last 4 months I haven't been able to do much on the layout, until about a week ago when I ran a few shunting movements. I noticed that the Loco was making a very strange squeaking noise when it was put in reverse and it slowed down, this was intermittent. Well tonight when I tried it again, I smelt burning and noticed that smoke was coming out under the chassis, also the flickering firebox light stopped working. On further investigation, I found that the DC blanking plate was shorting out somewhere, well that's what I think it is. Never again will I buy a Dapol O Gauge loco. Poor quality and very bad service.

Edited by Mike Huxley

• RMweb Premium

I give up on this model. I ordered when first advertised from Rails, waited for over a year for it to be released, then was told it had been withdrawn because of a wiring problem. When it did arrive in early May this year, it was damaged, inside motion was disconnected in 2 places and it ran like a dog. Returned it, was replaced and all seemed to be fine. Well, I only had  a chance to run it a few times on my 12' test layout, and all seemed good. However, over the last 4 months I haven't been able to do much on the layout, until about a week ago when I ran a few shunting movements. I noticed that the Loco was making a very strange squeaking noise when it was put in reverse and it slowed down, this was intermittent. Well tonight when I tried it again, I smelt burning and noticed that smoke was coming out under the chassis, also the flickering firebox light stopped working. On further investigation, I found that the DC blanking plate was shorting out somewhere, well that's what I think it is. Never again will I buy a Dapol O Gauge loco. Poor quality and very bad service.

Well I think you were just unlucky. Mine is running fine since the first day, never a problem, used minimum once a week. Very smooth running, the only noise coming out of it is that of the speaker of the sound system.

Just one thing to add on: I bought the loco at a high street shop in Brackley and therefore any running issues are excluded as I had it tested in front of me. You pay a few pound more but sometimes it is worth it. And you help your local shop to survive.

Edited by Vecchio

• RMweb Premium

Well I think you were just unlucky. Mine is running fine since the first day, never a problem, used minimum once a week. Very smooth running, the only noise coming out of it is that of the speaker of the sound system.

Just one thing to add on: I bought the loco at a high street shop in Brackley and therefore any running issues are excluded as I had it tested in front of me. You pay a few pound more but sometimes it is worth it. And you help your local shop to survive.

Unfortunately Dapol’s minimal quality control has been remarked on before - definitely worth eliminating the luck element by having stuff tested. The cheaper mail order box shifters will test before sending if you ask.

Ellis Clark was selling off reject wagons for £20 at Reading, some with as little as just the 3 links missing. Every cloud....!

The loco was tested by Rails  prior to shipping to me, also it ran fine for the short period that I used it. I feel that it's the quality control end of Dapol that's failing. Well today I spoke to Rails and they will send me another replacement, but it shouldn't have to come to a retailer having to keep replacing faulty goods for the manufacturer.

I must say, that the Minerva 8750 that I have does NOT have any of the shortcomings that have shown themselves with the Dapol  production.

I for one, will not be buying any of the advertised releases from Dapol, until they improve their quality.

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I`m a very fussy loco kit building miscreant with a very dubious attitude towards current RTR chassis mechanisms. And I have avoided Dapol products since the 1980`s.

However, since moving over to O Gauge I have been particularly impressed with Dapol`s 7mm Terrier 0-6-0 and their 08.

Today I took possession of a Dapol 8750 Pannier in 1940`s GWR livery, having asked Rails of Sheffield to thoroughly check it over and test run before dispatch.

I am very impressed with it, particularly with the quality of mechanical performance and quality of build and livery. Above all, the price !!! £169.99 for an O Gauge loco.

I am a great fan of Richard Webster and his Lionheart products but the finish and running performance of Dapol`s Pannier is better than his Pannier tank IMO.

I did all my pre-purchase research online so I know about the Minerva version .

My final decision was because Dapol produce better profile footplate edges. There are some very very fine 4mm and 7mm RTR locos but the RTR giveaway for me is the scale 3" thick footplate edges.... told you I was fussy.

If I`m going to but a RTR loco they must match up to my kit built models footplate edges.....

post-17779-0-37467600-1545335213_thumb.jpg

This is the Dapol pannier footplate edge next to my brass kit built Dukedog....see what I mean?

My Dukedog is also 1940`s GWR loco green using Phoenix/P enamels and so I`m very pleased with Dapols rendition of this darker shade.

I`m also very pleased with Dapol`s chassis design for this model and their rendition of moving inside valvegear and the correct profile ash pan

post-17779-0-28333000-1545335508_thumb.jpg

Body detailing is very crisp and there are very very few `moulding lines and pips`

post-17779-0-37521900-1545335787_thumb.jpg

The only `damage` are slight scuffs on the top of the pannier tank fronts caused by the `protective` hard foam packing.

post-17779-0-44741000-1545335941_thumb.jpg

This particular loco entered BR still with her GWR livery hence the smokebox number which will be removed in the fullness of time.

As already stated she runs very quietly and is an excellent model in all aspects.......

post-17779-0-04175200-1545336185_thumb.jpg

post-17779-0-31615000-1545336212_thumb.jpg

...........................................  well done Dapol !!..................................................................................

Edited by ROSSPOP
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So, got her out of the box for her first 10minute test run along a length of track.

Rails Of Sheffield had fully tested the quality of the model at my request before dispatch.

As an experienced loco kit builder over many years this Dapol Pannier has the best running mechanism out of the box I have ever had in both 4mm and 7mm.

I`m using a Helmsman pure DC controller

Edited by ROSSPOP
  • Like 3

Bit of a heart in mouth watching your second video with the tracks so close to the edge of the table !

Anyway, I must agree with your comments on this model ( I have both this and the Minerva offering ). I think they are fair and valid points.

My Dapol Pannier is the 57xx version and it ran superbly straight out of the box too. The cab fitting issue has been remedied with the small magnets as yours has.

My only comments are that I am not convinced about the colours used for the ash pan and bright red plastic used for the inside valve gear ( which at this price cannot be knocked !). I think a bit of subtle weathering is called for.

Once I had chipped mine I found that the running was even better.

As an aside, very nice work on your Goods Shed and Station mods too.

Grahame

• RMweb Gold

Bit of a heart in mouth watching your second video with the tracks so close to the edge of the table !

Anyway, I must agree with your comments on this model ( I have both this and the Minerva offering ). I think they are fair and valid points.

My Dapol Pannier is the 57xx version and it ran superbly straight out of the box too. The cab fitting issue has been remedied with the small magnets as yours has.

My only comments are that I am not convinced about the colours used for the ash pan and bright red plastic used for the inside valve gear ( which at this price cannot be knocked !). I think a bit of subtle weathering is called for.

Once I had chipped mine I found that the running was even better.

As an aside, very nice work on your Goods Shed and Station mods too.

Grahame

Thanks Grahame

I agree about those plastic colours you mention. I shall at some stage lightly waft some black etch primer with an airbrush to tone it all down.

However,  the decision is do I  pre- order their 14XX LOCO ??????????

jOHN