Dapol 'O' 57XX / 8750

H4706

According to the Hornby mag review, it takes a 28mm speaker.

On a separate matter, my newly arrived model appears to have a quartering issue, evident in the rear connecting rod being slightly off the horizontal and some eccentricity and signs of binding when in motion. Has anyone else seen this?

Definitely nothing under the green cover in my dismantled non sound version above.

Well that’s another oddity. I was very surprised to find a speaker when I unscrewed the cover on mine, however I can assure you it was there and plugged into the pcb speaker socket. I hard wired this into the sound decoder I fitted.

Bizarre - or maybe I just got lucky!

Whilst I understand that the Dapol sound decoders are fitted in the U.K., perhaps they ship a number from China with speakers pre-installed. These may have got muddled somewhere along the line! Anyway, I’m not complaining

Edited by neal

Weathered mine last week and yesterday the sound chip turned up (great service by Digitrains) all good till I tried to fit the speaker cable  ....which needs a two -pin plug and wire any idea where I can one , looked at a redundant one from g-scale but the plug is two big .

I have the male speaker connector that I cut off my pre-installed one (although the leads are a little short). PM me and I’ll stick it in the post.

Neal

I have the male speaker connector that I cut off my pre-installed one (although the leads are a little short). PM me and I’ll stick it in the post.

Neal

Thanks for the offer , went back to Digitrains and ordered one , now have a pannier with sound ...happy bunny.

• Like 1

Pressing on with tank. Seems to match up with Dapol boiler bottom.

Will have 5 sections so shims

Not sure if you are aware, but the 1854/2721 class are 4'9" from the centre line of the front driving wheel to the buffer plank as against the 5'6" of the 57XX - a scale 9" will make quite a difference at the fron end.

Regards,

Craig W

Yes, indeed.

I also have to make new valances and sandboxes

Not sure if you are aware, but the 1854/2721 class are 4'9" from the centre line of the front driving wheel to the buffer plank as against the 5'6" of the 57XX - a scale 9" will make quite a difference at the fron end.

Regards,

Craig W

An illustration of what appears to be a quartering problem with the rear axle on my new 57xx, as evidenced by the rear connecting rod being slightly off horizontal and by the eccentric motion and binding in the video.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has seen this issue as I'd hate to find the replacement has the same problem. 

https://youtu.be/AUUoKhxm1Sc

Edited by dpgibbons
  • Like 1

An illustration of what appears to be a quartering problem with the rear axle on my new 57xx, as evidenced by the rear connecting rod being slightly off horizontal and by the eccentric motion and binding in the video.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has seen this issue as I'd hate to find the replacement has the same problem. 

https://youtu.be/AUUoKhxm1Sc

My Terrier had a problem here I believe. My solution was to remove the wheelsets and squint through the spokes to find the pair that were off.  A simple twist set things to rights.  The major drawback is that the brakes have to be removed and this is where you may do some damage as I did.

I also mixed up a batch of 3 in 1 and jewellers rouge, smeared it on the crankpins and ran the loco to make sure the joints were well run in.

I found that crank pins had a tendency to run out so watch for that.  Thread locker should see to that.

John

Spoke to Tower on Saturday (and succumbed to 5700 to make the brace), they are wholly aware of the reverse polarity issue, and now have a modified 21pin blanking plate which they will fit or issue along with new orders.

I believe that they will also issue plates to those who bought the models before the fix was made available.

I assume this fix comes from Dapol, and if a reaction to owners identifying the problem, is a very quick reaction!?

Obviously a modified blanking plate will not resolve the DCC fire flicker functionality.

Fingers crossed I get another pre-fitted speaker!

Neal

A lot of cutting with Dremel but the 9" have gone.

Just Blutacked in place today.

New valances and sandboxes will neaten it up.

Yes, I know the castings are iffy.  Any tips on replacements welcome.

post-1733-0-38500700-1524004326_thumb.jpg

post-1733-0-14610400-1524006572_thumb.jpg

Edited by LaScala
  • Like 4

Spoke to Tower on Saturday (and succumbed to 5700 to make the brace), they are wholly aware of the reverse polarity issue, and now have a modified 21pin blanking plate which they will fit or issue along with new orders.

I believe that they will also issue plates to those who bought the models before the fix was made available.

I assume this fix comes from Dapol, and if a reaction to owners identifying the problem, is a very quick reaction!?

Obviously a modified blanking plate will not resolve the DCC fire flicker functionality.

Fingers crossed I get another pre-fitted speaker!

Neal

Correction, it is actually a splice to connect the motor terminals to the pcb and won’t affect the 21pin socket/blanking plate.

Easy simple fix.

Neal

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

As I am working for more than 6 month ( well - 2 hours per week...) on the 0 gauge layout of our club I couldn't resist. We have now a 08 and a Jinty for this layout so it was time for a Pannier tank... 

Being a good boy I went to the high street shop - actually I wanted to see the difference between the 64xx/74xx and the 57xx models - well there is a quite visible screw in the frame of the expensive version - also I do like the inside cylinder valve gear on the cheaper 57xx. One can argue that this is not visible on the layout, well, just knowing it is there makes me happy :sungum:  

And - as I was at a high street shop I had the direct comparison. A&H models have quite a good stock of 0 scale models at the moment.  

This - together with the price - made my decision easy. 5717 jumped into my bag...

Many people have written many wise things about this model, so I don't need to start with this. What I will probably change is the windows in the cab. Out with the plastic strip - in with some single plastic windows. But this I will describe later. 

I had the model running yesterday on our test circuit in the club, it runs very smooth and silent. There were a couple of 00 Hornby built steam locos on the test track as well, when they were running I couldn't hear my 5717 at all (may be because I didn't wear my hearing aids...).

A decoder is ordered, hope the postman drops it into the box today. I chose (me chose, he chose - YouChoose) a Zimo 644 with a 28mm speaker, I was reading that in some engines a speaker is already present. Will see if this is also the case in my loco. I didn't open it yet, I wait until the decoder is here.  Also a crew is on the way, I do not like empty locos with a perfect scale footplate..

And here we go, static on the unfinished layout Frimingham (MKMRS)

41752251551_a3d20a2be0_h.jpg20180427_185832 

41752247791_e38f5ae162_h.jpg20180427_185700 

• Like 5

As I am working for more than 6 month ( well - 2 hours per week...) on the 0 gauge layout of our club I couldn't resist. We have now a 08 and a Jinty for this layout so it was time for a Pannier tank... 

Being a good boy I went to the high street shop - actually I wanted to see the difference between the 64xx/74xx and the 57xx models - well there is a quite visible screw in the frame of the expensive version - also I do like the inside cylinder valve gear on the cheaper 57xx. One can argue that this is not visible on the layout, well, just knowing it is there makes me happy :sungum:  

And - as I was at a high street shop I had the direct comparison. A&H models have quite a good stock of 0 scale models at the moment.  

This - together with the price - made my decision easy. 5717 jumped into my bag...

Many people have written many wise things about this model, so I don't need to start with this. What I will probably change is the windows in the cab. Out with the plastic strip - in with some single plastic windows. But this I will describe later. 

I had the model running yesterday on our test circuit in the club, it runs very smooth and silent. There were a couple of 00 Hornby built steam locos on the test track as well, when they were running I couldn't hear my 5717 at all (may be because I didn't wear my hearing aids...).

A decoder is ordered, hope the postman drops it into the box today. I chose (me chose, he chose - YouChoose) a Zimo 644 with a 28mm speaker, I was reading that in some engines a speaker is already present. Will see if this is also the case in my loco. I didn't open it yet, I wait until the decoder is here.  Also a crew is on the way, I do not like empty locos with a perfect scale footplate..

And here we go, static on the unfinished layout Frimingham (MKMRS)

41752251551_a3d20a2be0_h.jpg20180427_185832

41752247791_e38f5ae162_h.jpg20180427_185700

I'm still waiting to see one of these in the flesh before I decide whether to buy one. Is that a prominent gap between the footplate and the flared cover below the smokebox door? The moulded guard rails on the bunker spectacles also look like rather heavy plastic mouldings. 

Charles Trelawney

• RMweb Premium

"I'm still waiting to see one of these in the flesh before I decide whether to buy one."

Solution: High street shop. 

"Is that a prominent gap between the footplate and the flared cover below the smokebox door? "

There is no gap at all. 

"The moulded guard rails on the bunker spectacles also look like rather heavy plastic mouldings."

Just measured - 0.5mm. How thin would you like it?  

​As everybody can read - I am a fan of this little loco... 

​And - decoder arrived. More later (after Saturdays social events...) 

• Like 2

I'm still waiting to see one of these in the flesh before I decide whether to buy one. Is that a prominent gap between the footplate and the flared cover below the smokebox door? The moulded guard rails on the bunker spectacles also look like rather heavy plastic mouldings. 

Charles Trelawney

Just for comparison here are photographs of the Dapol 57xx and the Minerva 57xx showing the cover.

Dapol

post-20303-0-85978700-1524927373_thumb.jpg

Minerva

post-20303-0-19344600-1524927387_thumb.jpg

There is the slightest gap, enough to put a piece of paper under on the Dapol 57xx but nothing that I'm concerned about to be honest.

Hope this helps.

Grahame

Just for comparison here are photographs of the Dapol 57xx and the Minerva 57xx showing the cover.

Dapol

attachicon.gifIMG_4324.jpg

Minerva

attachicon.gifIMG_4325.jpg

There is the slightest gap, enough to put a piece of paper under on the Dapol 57xx but nothing that I'm concerned about to be honest.

Hope this helps.

Grahame

Thanks Grahame. It looks rather a wide gap. Hopefully, I will have the opportunity to see both models in order to make a decision. 

CT

• RMweb Premium

The 28mm speaker I purchased doesn't really fit, I need to turn a adapter ring. Will not do it today, after 3 pints I don't work on the lathe...

There is a speaker socket, and lucky - I found the matching connector in my model flying bits. 

I plan to have later also a Seuthe smoke generator and lamps on the loco - but the PCB holding the decoder doesn't have any soldering pads for that. So I will need to solder on the tiny pads where the 21 pin connector is fixed. This could be subject for future improvement... I do not need a decoder with 10 function channels when I cannot properly access them...

Vecchio

A short video taken on my iPhone ( not best quality I'm afraid ) to show / hear the Minerva 57xx with an ESU Loksound decoder and sugarcube speaker

Once I am satisfied with the running and sound I will install one into my Dapol 57xx at some point.

Grahame

Edit :- I also have a couple of Zimo sound decoders which I may well swop with the ESU decoders when re-blown 

Edited by bgman
  • Like 1

A short video taken on my iPhone ( not best quality I'm afraid ) to show / hear the Minerva 57xx with an ESU Loksound decoder and sugarcube speaker

Once I am satisfied with the running and sound I will install one into my Dapol 57xx at some point.

Grahame

Edit :- I also have a couple of Zimo sound decoders which I may well swop with the ESU decoders when re-blown 

Very nice water tank. What is its provenance?

Very nice water tank. What is its provenance?

Hi Chris,

Thank you, its a scratch built job using my Silhouette cutter for the most part and odd bits of brass that I cobbled together.

iPhone photographs shewing it in its raw state prior to painting

post-20303-0-33870600-1524991564_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-32738100-1524991589_thumb.jpg

Grahame

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

To make the 28mm speaker fit into the 31mm well I made an adapter ring - as already mentioned. Here it is. 

41741647742_25691bb843_z.jpg20180429_164037 

Now the ring is in the speaker well

41741642942_fa42ff5423_z.jpg20180429_163915 

The little connector is on the (shortened) speaker cables. 

41741647162_56789f3021_z.jpg20180429_165124

Now the speaker is in position and neatly connected to its little socket. I made one small modification, I guided the pick-up wires through the cover of the speaker. (normally they go around it but this would disturb my stay alive arrangement). 

41741646312_b07fa5e542_z.jpg20180429_171828 

For the stay alive I use 4 electrolytic capacitors of 1060uF each. They fit nicely into the water tank. There is space for more, but with 4240uF the engine runs for approximately one second and that is enough.

41741645142_83a678b316_z.jpg20180429_171837 

Here is the complete arrangement before closing the loco again. 

41741643812_c0013f4880_b.jpg20180429_171850 

Closing was a bit fiddly, but finally everything went into its position and it is done. I quickly set up the loco on the Z21 and had a trial on a pair of brass profiles (Have no 0 gauge track at home, the loco is for the club layout). Everything worked like clockwork, driving needs a bit of attention, as I have chosen immersive drive.  When you do not brake the loco is off the profiles.... 

Sound is very good and thanks to the 2Watt speaker quite loud. But no fear - there is the volume control with function keys as well as a mute button.

Finally I am happy with my purchase. Hope the crew arrives soon. 

Will have a longer run on Tuesday in the club. 

• Like 1