Street running in the UK

TomJ

7 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

Have a look on the British Film Archive, it seems to have everything listed in there.

Almost certainly not unfortunately.  I can't even find it on the BBC Genome* site which is based on Radio Times billings because that doesn't generally include purely regional editions.  To save costs, we used to make our regional programmes on reversal film (you had to get he cuts right as there were no second chances) so, unless it was getting a national network showing, which some of mine did but not Sea Change City, that would be the only film copy that ever existed. They were transferred to tape for transmission and to add the titles etc.  but again we wouldn't have had more than one copy and the tapes weren't archived very well. It's just possible that I have a copy on VHS but I don't remember seeing it. In any case I don't think it included any shots of street running!

*If you want to track down hard to find BBC  programmes from the dawn of broadcasting to 2009 (when I think Radio Times was sold off)  https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk is well worth visiting. I've actually found programmes there I'd forgotten I'd produced!

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/05/2021 at 10:49, Guy Rixon said:

My guess is that the tramway was original worked by horses and connected via a turntable. The curve was presumably put in later when the industrial users got locomotives.

You are quite right.  The 1870 Ordnance Survey Town Plan shows it. It's SCC copyright but available at https://www.southampton.gov.uk/whereilive/mapsouthampton.aspx?layers=3%2C200%2C201%2C195&bbox=437444%2C110395%2C446140%2C114447&filters=INCLUDE%3BINCLUDE%3BINCLUDE%3BINCLUDE  In the layers menu deselect grit bins and salting routes and select History and Heritage, then deselect all but 1870 map.  The earlier 1846 map is also of interest regarding the original layout at Southampton Station (later Terminus).  A small detail:

chapeltramway.png

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

I’ve heard of The Docker’s Unbrella, but that loco seems to be carrying the Dock Engine’s Umbrella.

(I have an inkling that there is actually a connection)

Indeed there was a connection. The Liverpool Overhead Railway (the dockers umbrella) was built directly above the dock lines for much of its length. This contributed to the eventual demise of the LOR as the steam locomotive exhaust caused corrosion of the LOR viaducts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 12/07/2021 at 22:35, PhilJ W said:

Indeed there was a connection. The Liverpool Overhead Railway (the dockers umbrella) was built directly above the dock lines for much of its length. This contributed to the eventual demise of the LOR as the steam locomotive exhaust caused corrosion of the LOR viaducts.

So, probably, did stray current corrosion, the LOR being a third rail system with running rail return and rails laid directly onto timbers laid onto the structure.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Artless Bodger said:

Nice juxtaposition, certainly emphasises why it's not a good idea to tangle with a locomotive, is the number plate on 03170's buffer beam off a previous victim perhaps?

Great photo and comment - puts me in mind of watching an 08 force it’s way across the dual carriageway (urban 30 mph) into the docks at Ipswich in the late 80s as the rush hour traffic completely ignored the wig wag signals at the OC - unless the 08 was actually in the way - extraordinary. Rather like a motorist forcing their way into heavy traffic at a side road junction!!! 

I also found a photo in a book on the general history of East Anglia many years ago (a library book) showing the aftermath of one of the 11200/201 class 04s on the normal Wisbech/Upwell freight having hit and tipped a normal control (bonnet before cab) Bedford drop side lorry previously heavily laden with fruit and/or veg on its side at one of the level crossings - surrounded by suitably clad (50s I think) gentlemen in very rural style outfits!!! 

I wouldn’t be surprised if the number plate on 03170 was similar to a fighter pilot’s pictorial ‘score’ of enemy hits under the side of the canopy - whether real or just added as a warning I wouldn’t know - but judging by the Ipswich, Wisbech examples (and also personally witnessing (inaccurately) parked cars in the 70s being bounce moved (before the days of universal car alarms) by rail staff out the way of a class 33 hauled boat train on the Weymouth Tramway - not to mention. said trains being seen at certain high tides being driven through flood water (under one of the road bridges where the tramway was lower to get headroom) it’s v clear that on-road tramway operations clearly had their points of interest for operations!!! I wonder how often altercations did actually occur!! 

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

An altercation on the Reed's internal system.

218244320_HornblowerandCar01.jpg.3e26e8c535aa7f655503820914c59063.jpg2072954237_HornblowerandCar02.jpg.bb533de4293e8cd06f2829afa3855140.jpg

How on earth has that consul hit the loco ?? The lettering on the wagon sums it up!

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

A friend's father drove at Swansea Docks; he got so fed up having to get people to move their cars that he put a Gane A  (60' flat) in the formation he was taking to the other end of the complex. The over-hang in the middle of the sharp curves guaranteed he wasn't troubled again..

• Like 4
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
On 12/07/2021 at 22:28, Nearholmer said:

I’ve heard of The Docker’s Unbrella, but that loco seems to be carrying the Dock Engine’s Umbrella.

(I have an inkling that there is actually a connection)

The baffle / cowl was supposed to deflect the exhaust fumes away from the LOR structure which was often directly overhead, unfortunately it was too little too late, corrosion had already set in on the LOR and years of sulphurous fumes mixed with rain to form acids and as the LOR was founded on iron that meant the structures were slowly eaten away, by the mid 1950s repair costs would have been astronomical and so it was closed in 1956 (some of this mentioned above)

Edited by beast66606
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, beast66606 said:

The baffle / cowl was supposed to deflect the exhaust fumes away from the LOR structure which was often directly overhead, unfortunately it was too little too late, corrosion had already set in on the LOR and years of sulphurous fumes mixed with rain to form acids and as the LOR was founded on iron that meant the structures were slowly eaten away, by the mid 1950s repair costs would have been astronomical and so it was closed in 1956 (some of this mentioned above)

The only bits that weren't badly corroded were the parts that were replaced after wartime bombing. 

• Informative/Useful 1