Track Cleaner Wagpm

Kevin M

Is there any track cleaner cars available for HOm?  I thought I found one once but can't seem to find it listed anymore. The photo below is what I use for On30 and HO.  The replaceable pad is scrap jeans material.  I just put a couple of squirts of CRC 2-26 on it then run the car around the layout once.  I only have to do this about two times a year on my home layout.  If I have to I'll alter one of my Bemo wagons.  Or if I can find a pair of bogies like those used on the Sliding Wall wagons I can build one.

Thanks,

Kevin

post-31644-0-89816300-1496340387.jpg

This is mine - I also have a metal snow plough that has a track eraser underneath. They also did a fancy snowplough in their Metal series. I got this one on eBay - the previous owner had replaced the pin holding the coupling on with a screw. I found out that's because the coupling pulls off the body otherwise! The pad needs to be cleaned regularly - I use washing up loquid and water.

post-27796-0-79057900-1496352951_thumb.jpg

Edited by Salmotrutta

I have to remember to check all my spelling before I post.  Wagpm = Wagon

The part number helped me find it.  For the price it sells for I think I might just make my own using one of the wagons I bought on Ebay. 

Thanks,

Kevin

I agree, ebay prices get crazy. I always check new prices before buying on ebay. The few Bemo cars I bought on ebay were less than half the new price. I picked up my HO cleaning car at a swap meet for $3 and it works as well as brass car selling for $150.

Question: Does the Bemo car have replaceable pads? Are they a soft pad or hard with metal particles in them?

Thanks,

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

I used the HO CMX cleaner and just swapped the bogies for Bemo coach bogies. Cleans well but needs a couple of Ge's to move it up gradients.

The advantage is it doesn't abrade or leave particles on the track. They've gone a bit pricy now and your jeans denim cleaner is nearly as good although it will need the pad soaking regularly that the tank keeps wet on the CMX.

I agree, ebay prices get crazy. I always check new prices before buying on ebay. The few Bemo cars I bought on ebay were less than half the new price. I picked up my HO cleaning car at a swap meet for $3 and it works as well as brass car selling for $150.

Question: Does the Bemo car have replaceable pads? Are they a soft pad or hard with metal particles in them?

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin - the pad seems to be a material that feels like compressed textile fibres. Never come across anything similar before. Don't know if they do replacements, I will probably glue some denim on it if it wears out. It has a steel backing to give it weight and which keeps it flat on the track. I paid $25 for it if I remember.

The Bemo car list for $72 - $77 depending on the online dealer. 

I am going to search for a different material rather than denim.  The denim tends to fray easily and catch on points and frogs.

Our club uses the CMX car although we never fill tank with cleaning fluid.  We just squirt a drop of CRC 2-26 on the pad and run it around a couple of times.  We change the pad about every other time we use it.  Our biggest problem is dust.  Our club layout is in an old brick Northern Pacific Railway station.  It is next to a active main line so every time a train comes by the building shakes and more dust settles on us.

Paul you also gave me a good idea.  I'm going to see if I can re-gauge some HO wheel sets to 12mm and use my HO cleaner car.

Kevin

Success!  I found some old wheel sets and was able to re-gauge them.  I removed a coupler from one end and replaced it with a soft buffer so I can push it around the layout.  My Ge 4/4 had no problem pushing it around.  I did have to remove the copula to clear tunnel portals.  The only time this car/wagon is on the layout is to clean track so I'm not concerned about appearance.

Thanks for all the links and tips.  It helped me get my brain working in the right direction.

Kevin

post-31644-0-52184700-1496461179.jpg

post-31644-0-39205300-1496461194.jpg

• 3 years later...
On 02/06/2017 at 19:14, Kevin M said:

The Bemo car list for $72 - $77 depending on the online dealer. 

I am going to search for a different material rather than denim.  The denim tends to fray easily and catch on points and frogs.

Our club uses the CMX car although we never fill tank with cleaning fluid.  We just squirt a drop of CRC 2-26 on the pad and run it around a couple of times.  We change the pad about every other time we use it.  Our biggest problem is dust.  Our club layout is in an old brick Northern Pacific Railway station.  It is next to a active main line so every time a train comes by the building shakes and more dust settles on us.

Paul you also gave me a good idea.  I'm going to see if I can re-gauge some HO wheel sets to 12mm and use my HO cleaner car.

Kevin

Under what name is CRC 2-26 available in the U K?