Weathered 1980s Blue - Locos and Stock

Hi Andy

No I have put it on wet.

I tend to do a few bits such as bogies with paint such railmatch frame dirt black acrylic first.

Then I in this instance mixed up my own dirty powder using rusts browns and a hint of black and painted it all over. It seems not to take as well and sits on the surface once dry and then I rubbed it off or worked it in.

Then after having rubbed much of it off I worked it in with a soft brush with a hint of white and sand.

And then I dry brush on dark brown/black to pick out roof details ect

And then use the soft brush on it again.

It is the first time I have gone quite so mad with the weathering powder. But the gamble paid off the finished loco looks good. It is filthy south wales rail blue class 37. So that is why I tried this technique.

Hope this helps

Steve

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Andy

No I have put it on wet.

I tend to do a few bits such as bogies with paint such railmatch frame dirt black acrylic first.

Then I in this instance mixed up my own dirty powder using rusts browns and a hint of black and painted it all over. It seems not to take as well and sits on the surface once dry and then I rubbed it off or worked it in.

Then after having rubbed much of it off I worked it in with a soft brush with a hint of white and sand.

And then I dry brush on dark brown/black to pick out roof details ect

And then use the soft brush on it again.

It is the first time I have gone quite so mad with the weathering powder. But the gamble paid off the finished loco looks good. It is filthy south wales rail blue class 37. So that is why I tried this technique.

Hope this helps

Steve

Ok, thanks. Daft question time now then.

How do you apply powder 'wet'?

ps that 31 'is' truly excellent. Might I suggest a post of the first pic in the how realistic thread (with just a bit of cropping to focus on the loco)?

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is a good way to approach mineral type wagons. I have placed the products used next to each stage.

Stage One - Railmatch frame dirt onto the buffer beams and the lower part of the wagon, keeping the white details showing for the time being.

Stage Two  - select panels with Humbroll 113 - or anything similar. Allow to dry.

post-17404-0-33710500-1546707270_thumb.jpg

Stage Three - Cover whole upper part of the wagon with Typhus Corrosion. Allow to dry.

post-17404-0-94805300-1546707413_thumb.jpg

Stage Four - Cover whole upper part of the wagon with Acrylic Burnt umber. Allow to dry.

post-17404-0-35642100-1546707568_thumb.jpg

Stage Five - Remove what you want, to greater or lesser degree with thinners

post-17404-0-29952200-1546707650_thumb.jpg

This is half finished but has been done as an example of the types of effect you can achieve.

post-17404-0-25596200-1546707757_thumb.jpg

I will move on to the final stages a bit later and post them here to complete this.

But for the time being hopefuly it gives you some inspiration/ideas.

Also next up - will be a respray and weathering to improve Kernows SPAs

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Lee - I am away for a few days. when I come back I will try to finish it off - so all of the stages are listed in the one post above.

I have always liked the way you have detailed and weathered locos

One way I often approach it.

Is first pass get it 95% there. basically complete.

Then put it down for a few days/weeks

Second pass get it 99% there

Then put it down for a few days/weeks

Third pass perhaps do nothing or the final tweak

I think the front wagon in this picture gives an impression of what a finished wagon looks like

post-17404-0-37159100-1546808601_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

How would you adapt this for non factory finishes? Would sealing the grey with varnish first be sufficient?

The only way to be 100% is to test it out on an old bit of stock

However, yes it should be. I have never had any problems.

The class 73 here. Is a non factory finish that was varnished and then weathered by me. I had no problems with it.

post-17404-0-14233100-1547296131_thumb.jpgpost-17404-0-68991900-1547296229_thumb.jpg

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, sb67 said:

That hopper looks fantastic Steve, I def want to get some unfitted minerals to weather. Would you use the same methods weathering fitted wagons in bauxite?

Steve.

Yes I would use the same approach Steve, especially to keep consistency in a mixed rake

But just to confuse matters I some times take this approach on ´darker ´ wagons. This happens to be railfreight red.

where I use railmatch frame dirt and weathering powders and then paint the rust on, usually in two tones, afterwards.

Some pics here Steve.....as food for thought - work in progress but not far finishedIMG_20190224_125737.jpg.c6f1f015d16825db4178ec79d732fe71.jpg

IMG_20190224_125808.jpg.e4b465059b5e442156be040dfe14f41d.jpg

IMG_20190224_125631.jpg.16b84b69bdc2a9b73ff05f176a2321e3.jpg

IMG_20190224_125701.jpg.66d8101b2230cc8d009515f7baf24f56.jpg

IMG_20190224_125724.jpg

IMG_20190224_125646.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Surprisingly -

I find that painting it on gives it enough of a key.

what I do these days is to add a touch of burnt umber acrylic in with the powder and I find that really helps.

I often go back over the wagon with very faint powders afterwards to just take the edge of everything and blend things in.

Take a picture or two and sit back. On this wagon for instance is the underframe too rusty looking, perhaps? So I look at some reference pictures as see if it needs changing.

Cheers

Steve

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Lovely work; the only thing I would say is that perhaps there ought to be some traces of grease on the springs and secondary suspension.

Thanks. positive comments keeps one going. Totally agree, I also think it looks too rusty. So it is back on the bench.

Sometimes I am so focused on getting the top of the wagon right, often at the expense of the bottom. The same is with that 21t hopper I have just worked on. So they are both being reworked.

• Informative/Useful 1