Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Available now:

From Wild Swan, a brand new and much enlarged edition of Nic de Courtais' 1981 book on this iconic prototype.

post-19301-0-57145900-1501758252_thumb.jpg

Printed and produced by Amadeus Press in Cleckheaton. Softback, gloss laminated cover and sewn spine, heavily illustrated, 96 pages, ISBN 9781912038718, £18.95. 

Available direct or from any good bookseller.

In common with all Wild Swan books this will not be available at reduced prices from Amazon or any of the other cut price merchants.

Simon Castens 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

If you ask Simon very nicely you can even have a signed copy, and by mail order too.

As always with Wild Swan, very well produced and essential for those whose interest lies in obscure(ish) independent light railways. Whilst the Pearce-Higgins book may well be regarded as the definitive history, this new version adds very nice pics and research. Thoroughly recommended, and ideal if you've ever thought about a roadside standard gauge light railway.

• Like 1

Purchased my copy from Alton Model Centre. This is a really great update of the original. Excellent layout and photos's; copious drawings and plans.

is that drawings of locos and stock? if so I might be interested, as I already have a copy of the original book.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I bought a copy of the book this morning, I agree it's very detailed and the first book I've read which really gave the authentic flavor and atmosphere of what the line was presumably like. Well worth the money esp. If you're contemplating a layout based on the line.

Curiously there are building plans but none of the locos and stock. Not even of no. 5 Jane. For these you need Reg Wilkinson's Oakwood press book which has a fair selection. There have been other books and mags which included these.

Dava

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

On Saturday 16th September we are having an "official" book launch for The Wantage Tramway at the most excellent Vale and Downland Museum in Wantage town centre.

Come along and meet Nic de Courtais, the author, and Chris Turner, the noted railway historian who conducted a number of interviews with people who had first hand experience of using the tramway, which also feature in the book.

post-19301-0-59930500-1504702449_thumb.jpg

The museum itself is an absolute gem, with completely free admission and with extensive displays covering the town and locality including a "walk in" recreation of a Wantage tramway coach.

There is a museum shop and cafe and I will have a range of Wild Swan titles with me. I'm hoping to bring a relevant model railway along too, but in the event that I fail the museum has its own model railway which will amuse you and is suitable for chilren to get involved with.

Thank you very much to Suzie Tilbury the curator and Kate Pozzolli the museum manager for allowing this to take place.

Books apart, I can't stress just how good the museum is in its own right. I was quite bowled over by its quality and size when I visited with Chris a couple of weeks ago.

Hopefully see some of you there!

Simon

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Will it just be this one Simon or will you have any other recent titles there too?

And never forget -

'AN ACTUAL FACT"

'A curious race has come to pass.

Between an engine and an ass.

The Wantage Tram, all steam and smoke

Was beat by Arthur Hitchcocks moke'

(punctuation as copied from the original)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

I will have a range of Wild Swan books with me, plus possibly a few of the latest titles from the shop. 

Also, I am very happy to say that Robin Gay is bringing his really lovely P4 model of Wantage along to the event too.

Best Wishes

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

I will have a range of Wild Swan books with me, plus possibly a few of the latest titles from the shop. 

Also, I am very happy to say that Robin Gay is bringing his really lovely P4 model of Wantage along to the event too.

Best Wishes

Simon

Thanks Simon.

Having missed three shows I have dearly wanted to attend this year (including a certain one in Bath) and considering the memsahib will be away next weekend I really ought to do my best to get there.  And not having made Swindon today (due to the impossibility of getting to the car parks) no doubt an early start towards Wantage on Saturday mightn't be a bad idea.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you very much for visiting us Mike, very much appreciated.

Here's a snap of Nick de Courtais, myself and Steve Trinder, the Mayor of Wantage no less and a railway enthusiast to boot - top chap!

post-19301-0-22695400-1505593081_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Gordon and Robin for supporting us with Robin's lovely "Wantage" model, the museum for their hospitality and to Chris Turner for getting the organisational ball rolling.

I believe that there should be a photographic feature in the Oxford mail "Herald" local paper series next Wednesday.

Simon

• Like 6