First Hornby buy -a bit of help pls

shafman

Hi,

I got my first Hornby train set for my 5 year son. I got it via ebay. It is a starter kit of Flying Scotsman with a R.965 controller. However i found out that the controller is analog but the chip in the train was dcc so the person who i gt it  from Ebay recommended that i change the chip reset to 3 which i did from a model shop.

However I am told now that the controller needs to change the loco address to 3 as well. Any pointers on how i can do it?

Regards,

Sam

An  analogue  controller  will usually  control  a  digital  equipped  locomotive   have  you  actally  tried  it?  If  not  I suggest  you  do  so.  The  advice  to  change  the  controller needing  to change  the  address   to  3 is  utter  nonsense  as  analogue  controllers  cannot  do  anything  except  control  the  speed and  direction  of  a  loco!

For  further  info  it  makes  no  difference  what  the  loco decoder  address  is  set  to  when  using  analogue  control

I  should  have  added   Welcome  Sam  to  the   forum!

Plenty  of  info  readily  available  on  here!!

Edited by Stevelewis

Hi Sam,

As Steve alludes to; it should work as it is.

Have you set it up and tried it out?

Normally a train set wouldn't come with a DCC loco and a DC controller so it depends on how it was described on ebay if you need some form of recourse if it doesn't work (for whatever other reason).

First of, many thanks for the replies. Didnt expect to get some quick replies... Appreciate it.. 

Yeah I tried the train as is but sadly it didnt work :-(

When I queried the user in ebay from whom I brought it , he mentioned the following

"silly me, its running on a Digital DCC Chip, So even better, it will not work on anologue control, You have 2 options, Buy a Bachmann DCC Controller, Or go to your nearest model railway shop and have the chip reset to 3, Will not cost alot, With DCC Chip fitted worth a lot"

Since I dont know any better, I did go and reset the chip to 3. however the guy from model shop told me later to reset it in the controller too. BTW, I was told from the ebay owner that the addres was 005.

Hope that makes sense and  thanks again for your advice.

Sounds like the seller doesn't have a clue at all and is unfortunately taking advantage of you being new to the hobby. Although a bit of a pain, I'd personally look at a return / refund and start again with a shop who 1) knows what they're on about 2) can get you going with the right equipment.

Hi,

I got my first Hornby train set for my 5 year son. I got it via ebay. It is a starter kit of Flying Scotsman with a R.965 controller. However i found out that the controller is analog but the chip in the train was dcc so the person who i gt it  from Ebay recommended that i change the chip reset to 3 which i did from a model shop.

However I am told now that the controller needs to change the loco address to 3 as well. Any pointers on how i can do it?

Regards,

Sam

It was probably described as DCC READY which means it can accept a DCC chip should you wish to go down the DCC route. As far as I know Hornby have not made a DCC Fitted Flying Scotsman set. The " chip" you refer to is the blanking plug.  Should have gone to a local model shop 

Edited by 40F

CV 29 is the cv to switch to run with dc. You will need someone with a dcc system to do this. As detailed above, a local model shop with a dcc set up should know how to do it or, alternatively if you state where you live, you may get a forum member nearby you who could check out loco. It should be fixable. Best of luck.

If it has a chip fitted you can check if DC running is enabled by putting a 9v block battery across the wheels.

If it runs then the problem is elsewhere, such as controller or power supply unit or the wiring to the track.

Rob

Edited by RAFHAAA96