Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

I'm not as qualified as m'learned colleague to comment on tracklaying, but that's some exemplary sheeting on those wagons in the last picture. Someone has clearly been on a course.

They were actually quite fun to do. They are just empty china clay wagons or limstone...not sure. 

All quiet at Brighton Junction today. 

post-25906-0-39152800-1503885036_thumb.jpg

A J11 comes into the down loop with a down pick up goods.

post-25906-0-14274800-1503885073_thumb.jpg

Here she simmers by the signal box. 

post-25906-0-62209300-1503885214_thumb.jpg

The quiet countryside is no more as an A1 'Royal Lancer' emerges from under the bridge bring a northbound express. 

post-25906-0-57677300-1503885278_thumb.jpg

Racing past the Signal box and out of view! 

post-25906-0-58289400-1503885386_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-36480600-1503885437_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-95150900-1503885466_thumb.jpg

Now that the line is clear, the J11 can continue on its slow journey North. 

post-25906-0-12465600-1503885532_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-86186700-1503885559_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-03689100-1503885590_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

So, after some wiring hiccups i have now rewired the three crossings to DPDT switches, This helps with shorting out problems. If i want to use the down goods loop crossing (1), i switch off the down main to branch (2) and the up main to branch (3). This way the locomotives can't short out when moving slowly over the crossings-still have the problem of the wheels stopping in the insulated spots, DOH  :banghead: -but i'm getting there!!!! 

No pictures I'm afraid as its all under board wiring and me swearing! 

I have ordered some buffer stops from Lanarkshire models which should arrive soon. 

Might start structures soon, ie, the bridges, all scratchbuilt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOD HELP ME

• Like 1

All quiet at Brighton Junction today. 

attachicon.gifIMG_3820.JPG

A J11 comes into the down loop with a down pick up goods.

attachicon.gifIMG_3833.JPG

Here she simmers by the signal box. 

attachicon.gifIMG_3834.JPG

The quiet countryside is no more as an A1 'Royal Lancer' emerges from under the bridge bring a northbound express. 

attachicon.gifIMG_3835.JPG

Racing past the Signal box and out of view! 

attachicon.gifIMG_3836.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3837.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3838.JPG

Now that the line is clear, the J11 can continue on its slow journey North. 

attachicon.gifIMG_3840.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3841.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3842.JPG

Some very good examples of well-laid track there, Jesse.

I look forward to seeing further developments. 

The LMS buffer stops are really splendid, by the way. 

Some very good examples of well-laid track there, Jesse.

I look forward to seeing further developments. 

The LMS buffer stops are really splendid, by the way. 

Thanks Tony, all Peco code 100, but after seeing John's (St Enodoc) layout last weekend, i think i might build my own points on the next layout. I might even create some new swear words. 

Main wiring should be completed in a few weeks, so then it will be running sessions and working out what needs to be corrected, altered and fixed. 

Those buffer stops are the old Hornby Triang ones from many years, Salvaged them off my Pops layout. 

Agree on both counts.

It really was a lovely day, shame i couldn't stay longer. Until next time!

• Like 2

ahh that's better! So the Lanarkshire models buffer stops arrived, however, due to the peco code 100 track i had to slightly modify the LNER standard buffer stops to allow them to 'fit'. I think they look rather good. 

post-25906-0-12894700-1505866192_thumb.jpg

Here we have a few wagons sitting in the up siding at Brighton Junction. 

post-25906-0-43122500-1505866210_thumb.jpg

Sorry for all the shite everywhere!

On another note, i have one more cobalt point motor to add to the scenic section, HAPPY DAYS!

• Like 5

Jesse, there isn't enough piles of stuff in the rear of those photos to apologize for, you need to try harder, month old coffee cups, piles of old magazines, bits of random paper, half built models (I seem to be good at that!)....general debris, tools, etc  :jester:

• Like 1

Jesse, there isn't enough piles of stuff in the rear of those photos to apologize for, you need to try harder, month old coffee cups, piles of old magazines, bits of random paper, half built models (I seem to be good at that!)....general debris, tools, etc  :jester:

Don't forget the small bits of stripped wire. Black, red, white, blue, you name I've got it laying around.

I started this afternoon on fitting NEM pockets on the ends of the Kings X to Leeds carriages. These are kit built, i picked them up, already built and painted for a bargain at Warley in 2016. These next two photos are upside down but you get the gist of what I am doing. 

post-25906-0-97163600-1505893107_thumb.jpg

post-25906-0-69197400-1505893127_thumb.jpg

Here they are sitting nicely on the track with the three extra coaches, behind A1 'Royal Lancer', I think they are the correct type, but two are BR numbered. 

post-25906-0-17335400-1505893141_thumb.jpg

A nice picture here of just the kit built articulated coaches. Might give them a repaint, the lining isn't the best, but they'll do for now,  :locomotive:

post-25906-0-93033700-1505893161_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jesse Sim
  • Like 6

Ahh starting to look better...  Water bottles, note pads, random tools.  :jester:

Seriously though the Twin set is rather interesting. You may want to keep your eye out for more kits as they can be an interesting build. Can I suggest looking out for LNER Carriages by Harris as there can be a fair bit of information in there that can be helpful. I picked a copy up in paper back for about $16 on Amazon. But there is a LNER Historic carrages book by Harris which is hard to come by and has further information but from what I found is over 70QUID! I have yet to need this book but one day I will find it!

Back to the carriages the Kirk kits can be detailed up with MJT bits which you may look at in the future. I have a Quad art set to complete (all they need is the solebars, buffers, vac pipes and some painting to complete) but I can see how people can become addicted to the coaching stock in this manor!

Ahh starting to look better...  Water bottles, note pads, random tools.  :jester:

Seriously though the Twin set is rather interesting. You may want to keep your eye out for more kits as they can be an interesting build. Can I suggest looking out for LNER Carriages by Harris as there can be a fair bit of information in there that can be helpful. I picked a copy up in paper back for about $16 on Amazon. But there is a LNER Historic carrages book by Harris which is hard to come by and has further information but from what I found is over 70QUID! I have yet to need this book but one day I will find it!

Back to the carriages the Kirk kits can be detailed up with MJT bits which you may look at in the future. I have a Quad art set to complete (all they need is the solebars, buffers, vac pipes and some painting to complete) but I can see how people can become addicted to the coaching stock in this manor!

I have recently been talking to Jonathan from the Grantham team, he has been a fantastic help with all my questions. Recently purchased the harris LNER book, have a few others, just need me a decent soldering iron, which I'm saving up for at the moment. 

If you can track one down the old Dick Smith temperature soldering irons are the best! It might be worth having a look at Jaycar as they seem to stock most things that were at dick Smith.

Not sure but this might be ok

https://www.jaycar.com.au/40w-temperature-controlled-soldering-station/p/TS1620

Should be able to do most things!

Edited by DougN

Hi Jesse!

Great to see the trains running. The Quint set is presumably based on making best use of nearest Kirk kits; the real thing was a GNR build so there are numerous detail differences but what you have there looks to be perfectly OK for your use. :sungum:

• Like 1