“Highland Sulzers” - Inverness TMD in the 80's - P4

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Indomitable026 said:

I’ve just noticed there’s a signal protecting the junction (above the loco). I think we should be able to include this on the far right hand side of the layout.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/d9006/4643008406/in/album-72157610007241008/

BDC1E1D0-DD25-4D6E-A004-EC58320893A7.png.8e4af1b1605b4ab3d970209b9ce84db4.png

And may be a ground signal coming the other way?

Might it be one way?

Mike.

21 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

One way movements, no need for bi-directional signalling?

Mike.

You’ve got me thinking - never make assumptions...

I thought it was an up and down road - it’s not, just looked the quail map...

0ED631B6-6BA8-43FA-BECC-C028581BF52E.jpeg.fa4c7f9dedcfb20662b0f80259c873b8.jpeg

Rose St curve - bi-directional

DN harbour branch - bi-directional

Interesting 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Indomitable026 said:

The thinking is that something like a loco or snowplough could be parked here to distract the eye...

799C46CC-5CA1-4B69-AEC8-FF9842F09747.jpeg.7a3fdb7aaba9cb7230ae0a53ac394eaa.jpeg

And if I laid the track right in the shed it could be used as hidden storage - but would it get used?

I knew I’d forgotten what I was doing

This end panel is removable - the scene will go right into the fiddleyard!

See here for my thinking around this...

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Indomitable026 said:

70s and early eighties, so pre - resignalling...

From photographs taken from the overbridge just west of Rose St (on Railscot site) the curve was double track prior to resignalling.  The shunt signals in the earlier post look like they were to set back onto the harbour branch.

Paul.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

From photographs taken from the overbridge just west of Rose St (on Railscot site) the curve was double track prior to resignalling.  The shunt signals in the earlier post look like they were to set back onto the harbour branch.

Paul.

In honesty having looked at this again, I don’t think it makes any difference to me - the track formation hasn’t moved.

So I’ll carry on as was...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Indomitable026 said:

In honesty having looked at this again, I don’t think it makes any difference to me - the track formation hasn’t moved.

So I’ll carry on as was...

Agreed, I don’t think the track formation did change where you are modelling.  My feeling is that the Up Rose St Curve just became the extended Harbour branch so the only track removed was under the bridge up to the harbour branch connection.  It only makes a difference to you if you wanted to show signals.

Paul.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

There is a photo on Ernies site from a little further back on the turnout into the fuel road. It shows the ground signal facing the camera between the Rose Curve and Harbour line which would infer potentially both bi-directional before re-signalling. 

Sorry can’t manage to copy a link but it’s in the Inverness to Elgin and Keith album. Looks to be early 80s as there is a plain Blue 37 in the background.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I’ve just offered up the fascia to remind myself what we’re doing with it.

The bottom of it sits higher than the based board, the reason for this is to allow the fitment of ground level strip lights. ‘Diesels in the Duchy’ suffered from not having front lighting, only overhead, this resulted in the side of the locos being in shadow if they were towards the front of the layout. Hopefully this will improve that.

Also I’ll only need to model one of the front tracks on the Rose curve - you can’t see the other one with the fascia in place...

72B950F0-1799-4021-98EB-58D5D67E4387.jpeg.c43ff8a96fb1083033ffeaf56d0267ee.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Indomitable026 said:

The bottoms of it sits higher than the based board, the reason for this is to allow the fitment of ground level strip lights. ‘Diesels in the Duchy’ suffered from not having front lighting, only overhead, this resulted in the side of the locos being in shadow if they were towards the front of the layout. Hopefully this will improve that.

Thank you for that idea.  I’ve been wondering how to deal with lighting on my layout (albeit a long time in the future) and this is worth storing away.

Paul.

• Like 1

Just following some of the early photo links in this thread as I get myself back up to speed.

This is an interesting one, from the Derby Sulzers website.

https://www.derbysulzers.com/inverness.html

F151F20B-410B-4958-B928-EE8583B08D6D.png.5eba503d0b5e89cc99df2cb2b4d8c717.png

Great view of the fueling area. It makes me wonder if I have room to model the back of the signal box in the background - it does appear to be square on with the back scene at that end of the layout.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Indomitable026 said:

Just following some of the early photo links in this thread as I get myself back up to speed.

This is an interesting one, from the Derby Sulzers website.

https://www.derbysulzers.com/inverness.html

F151F20B-410B-4958-B928-EE8583B08D6D.png.5eba503d0b5e89cc99df2cb2b4d8c717.png

Great view of the fueling area. It makes me wonder if I have room to model the back of the signal box in the background - it does appear to be square on with the back scene at that end of the layout.

Interesting photo, it appears to show

the fuel road is slightly lower than the lines either side of it, which is something I'd not noticed in other photos you've shared.

1 hour ago, Mark Forrest said:

Interesting photo, it appears to show

the fuel road is slightly lower than the lines either side of it, which is something I'd not noticed in other photos you've shared.

Yes I had noticed it previously (other photos show a small retaining wall at the back of the fueling road), I’ve chosen to ignore it though out of convenience.... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Indomitable026 said:

Yes I had noticed it previously (other photos show a small retaining wall at the back of the fueling road), I’ve chosen to ignore it though out of convenience.... 

And yet you are doing this in P4?

• Agree 2