Conway Goods BR Blue 1979 -1985

SouthernBlue80s

I am starting on my new layout, Quite excited about it all. Colwyn bay goods yard is my inspiration. It will be fairly small with Peco bullhead track.

Started on the tunnel entrance today. PGH´s photographs are great inspiration.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_08_2015/post-14569-0-06564000-1438426623.jpg

post-17404-0-90293100-1504089668_thumb.jpgpost-17404-0-32849000-1504089677_thumb.jpg

Base board cover now made...it will live under the bed

Tunnel becoming more complete

post-17404-0-64222400-1505075477_thumb.jpgpost-17404-0-03946800-1505075486_thumb.jpg

Will put up more pics once the track is down

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Scratch built tunnel portal now finished. It will need weathering

Baseboard painted

First turnout built - Courtesy of Hayfield of this parish. The two turnouts are the only things I will not be building as it is not worth me embarking on that steep learning curve for just two of them. Better I let a man who knows his stuff to turn two out for me. These will match the Peco bullhead rail that will be with me very soon.

Cheers

Steve

post-17404-0-03636200-1506953928_thumb.jpgpost-17404-0-27542400-1506953960_thumb.jpgpost-17404-0-99840600-1506953994_thumb.jpg

Inspiration gained from here

post-17404-0-73312500-1506954108.jpg

Picture taken by and posted on RMweb PGH

• Like 9

Scratch built tunnel portal now finished. It will need weathering

Baseboard painted

First turnout built - Courtesy of Hayfield of this parish. The two turnouts are the only things I will not be building as it is not worth me embarking on that steep learning curve for just two of them. Better I let a man who knows his stuff to turn two out for me. These will match the Peco bullhead rail that will be with me very soon.

Cheers

Steve

attachicon.gifIMG_20171002_122120.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20171002_122134.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20171002_122145.jpg

Inspiration gained from here

attachicon.gifpost-14569-0-06564000-1438426623.jpg

Picture taken by and posted on RMweb PGH

Very atmospheric, I remember standing over that tunnel mouth with my late Father, watching 24's and 25's scurrying about with wagons. But I think you may find that it's actually Colwyn Bay Goods Yard, rather than Conwy. As far as I know, Conwy's goods yard was in between the station and the tubular bridge over the river, and on the town side of the main line.

I will of course stand corrected.

Jinty ;) 

• Like 2

Jinty - I would have liked to have modeled Colwyn bay exactly as it was, however I do not have the room. So I am just using it as an inspirational start point and therefore came up with the name Conway Goods.

However -  I have just noticed that I said Conway goods was my inspiration in my first post when I meant Colwyn bay so thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by SouthernBlue80s

A few nice pictures here chaps

http://www.2d53.co.uk/colwynbay/Goods.htm

The middle photo next to the siding to the left use to be a fun fair & when shunting took place I use to mither my parents to go on the big slide as it overlooked the goods yard.

The last photo is from the Horse Landing & you can see Pyes Coaches, we use to sing "risk you lives travel by Pyes" when they use to take us on school trips.

Happy Days

• Like 1

Jinty - I would have liked to have modeled Colwyn bay exactly as it was, however I do not have the room. So I am just using it as an inspirational start point and therefore came up with the name Conway Goods.

However -  I have just noticed that I said Conway goods was my inspiration in my first post when I meant Colwyn bay so thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

No problem, I just didn't want you to have them mixed up. I quite understand your limitations, and anyway, it's not too far away from Conwy!!!

Same as Jinty, my grandad use to take me to this spot in the early 70s to watch the shunting & my love of class 40s was born out of standing above one of theses giants whistling away. So many lovely memories & good luck with your project.

Stu

I only ever saw one class 40 down at the yard, mostly Rats, it was watching these movements whilst my Mother was shopping in Colwyn Bay, that started my interest in railways, that and playing around on the Deganwy quay (5 mins from home) when the lines and a couple of 16t minerals were still there!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

Hi Steve,

No problem, I just didn't want you to have them mixed up. I quite understand your limitations, and anyway, it's not too far away from Conwy!!!

I only ever saw one class 40 down at the yard, mostly Rats, it was watching these movements whilst my Mother was shopping in Colwyn Bay, that started my interest in railways, that and playing around on the Deganwy quay (5 mins from home) when the lines and a couple of 16t minerals were still there!!!

Jinty ;)

Does that make me really old watching 44389 doing the shunting, after school ?

• Like 1

Nice to see another north wales layout, having lived in Colwyn Bay for many years in the 70's this was my local yard. Once did get to visit the yard and remember an internal crane in the the goods shed?. I've a book somewhere with good map of the yard.

I am starting on my new layout, Quite excited about it all. Colwyn bay goods yard is my inspiration. It will be fairly small with Peco bullhead track.

Started on the tunnel entrance today. PGH´s photographs are great inspiration.

It's very gratifying to see that my photos of Colwyn Bay Goods Yard had been a source of inspiration for this project.  It certainly makes the time and effort spent in scanning and editing the old negatives worthwhile.

Edited by PGH
  • Like 4

• 3 years later...

Hi I haven't had any time for modeling.

However I now do.

I have 56040 to weather as task 1 and then on to my layouts.

The track for this layout is now on this

I was going to complete the above first and then head back to this. 

So all I have at the moment is the tunnel mouth built and a bridge as well as the base board. I need to buy Peco bullhead track for it. I am having to be careful with money. I will also wait and see if Peco bring out a triple turnout in bullhead as well.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3