'Main line' company locos sold into industrial or light railway service

Captain Kernow

Well if you include diesels the list gets long. No doubt there are those who keep a better track of such things, but as well as the Hope Cement class 20 was there not a Clayton Bo-Bo in industrial use somewhere Luton way? Many of the class 14 0-6-0 locos were sold for further use, and even more shunters of classes 03, 04 and 08.

Tom

The Clayton was used on the former Harpenden to Hemel Hempstead branch by Hemelite.  (Don't know but always assumed they were a form of block work).

Fortunately the 17 then passed into preservation.

Matt W

Edited by D826
  • Like 1

On 06/11/2021 at 18:21, Blandford1969 said:

You can also add the GSWR 0-6-0T 5 class.

• 16378 was sold to sold to Hatfield Colliery, South Yorkshire in 04/1934 after withdrawal and scrapped after 1954,
  • 16379  sold to Llay Main Colliery, Denbighshire after withdrawal in 04/1934 now preserved

and also

The G&SWR 45 Class 0-6-2 tanks, 4 were sold out of service into industrial use

16410 after withdrawal in Nov 1936 was sold to Robert McAlpine & Sons as no.80

16403 after withdrawal in Nov 1936 was sold to Robert McAlpine & Sons as no..81

16404 after withdrawal in Feb 1937 sold to Ashington Coal Company no.1

16908 after withdrawal in Jun 1937 sold to Ashington Coal Company no.2

Sadly none of these survived to preservation, and were a nice class, sadly no kits exist of this one as Mercian Models withdrew their kit. 

All these locomotives are listed on page 38 of the book by Frank Jones, previously mentioned by Andy and others and photographs are also included of both these attractive locomotives, built by North British Locomotive works in Glasgow.

Hatfield Main No. 5 (LMS 16378) was photographed "at the colliery near Doncaster in  August 1949" on page 41 and the withdrawal date for the 17" outside cylindered 0-6-0T (NBL22073 / 19) is given as 1957.

Ashington No. 2 (LMS 16908 / NBL22078 / 19) is pictured in NCB service on page 42 and worked until June 1956.  Ashington No. 1 (LMS 16904 (NBL22074 / 19) was withdrawn earlier in March 1953.

However, Frank adds that "the two sold to Robert McAlpine suffered a hard time on the Ebbw Vale contract and both were scrapped within two years of sale" (No. 81 in 1937 and No. 80 in September 1938).

• Like 2

On 07/11/2021 at 19:32, JN said:

Former BR locos sold in BR days are the J94s used at the collieries/mines/pits between Bolton and Manchester (Bickershaw was one colliery, but I can't remember the name of the other(s) in the area) and were operating as late as the 1970s. Like the other examples mentioned they were sold to the coal board, but the precise level at which they were sold I'm not aware of (the national coal board or regional area board and sent to Bickershaw or by the colliery on an ad-hoc basis because they had specific needs to be met).

Of the 75 Austerity 0-6-0ST's sold to the LNER and classified as J94 six were sold into industrial service between 1963 and 1965.  Of these 2 are preserved, 68077 and 68078.

As far as I am aware none of the ex LNER (J94) locos ever worked in the Lancashire coalfield.  All the Austerities in that area were purchased secondhand from the WD or built new for the NCB.  Bold and Bickershaw collieries had regular steam working into the early 80's.

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just posting a video that reveals a private scrap yard using a former BR loco. The loco/yard is at around 40-45mins if you want to skip. That's the only one I've watched so far, but will probably watch the other videos for researching my own model railway (I've seen some short videos which gave limited information about destinations etc of steel trains from/to the North East).

• Like 1

On 26/10/2017 at 10:03, Captain Kernow said:

With 'proper' industrial types now becoming available RTR, I'm interested to know what types of former 'main line' steam locos (ie. those built for and used by any of the pre-Grouping or 'Big 4' companies, or indeed BR) that were sold into industrial or light railway service.

Some are well-known, such as the ex-GW panniers sold to the NCB (57XX/8750,15XX) and London Underground (57XX).

There was at lease one ex-LMS 'Jinty' sold to the (?NCB?) British Oak Disposal Point at Crigglestone in the West Riding (No. 47445).

An ex-L&Y 'Pug' 0-4-0ST was soldto the Turner Paper Mill company at Rawcliffe Bridge, near Goole.

There were also the two ex-LBSC 'P' class 0-6-0Ts sold to James Hodson (Millers) Ltd at Robertsbridge (loco was named 'Pride of Sussex) and that sold to Bowaters and named 'Pioneer' (both now being produced by Hattons in the near future).

There was also an ex-LNER 0-6-0T (No. 1662) sold (via a dealer) to the steelworks at Cantley.

If the search was to be widened to diesels, then clearly there is a plethora of diesel shunters sold out of BR service, but I find the steam loco side of it particularly interesting.

There must have been many more examples, what do others know of, please?

Pretty much at the start...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/10/2017 at 10:03, Captain Kernow said:

With 'proper' industrial types now becoming available RTR, I'm interested to know what types of former 'main line' steam locos (ie. those built for and used by any of the pre-Grouping or 'Big 4' companies, or indeed BR) that were sold into industrial or light railway service.

Some are well-known, such as the ex-GW panniers sold to the NCB (57XX/8750,15XX) and London Underground (57XX).

There was at lease one ex-LMS 'Jinty' sold to the (?NCB?) British Oak Disposal Point at Crigglestone in the West Riding (No. 47445).

An ex-L&Y 'Pug' 0-4-0ST was soldto the Turner Paper Mill company at Rawcliffe Bridge, near Goole.

There were also the two ex-LBSC 'P' class 0-6-0Ts sold to James Hodson (Millers) Ltd at Robertsbridge (loco was named 'Pride of Sussex) and that sold to Bowaters and named 'Pioneer' (both now being produced by Hattons in the near future).

There was also an ex-LNER 0-6-0T (No. 1662) sold (via a dealer) to the steelworks at Cantley.

If the search was to be widened to diesels, then clearly there is a plethora of diesel shunters sold out of BR service, but I find the steam loco side of it particularly interesting.

There must have been many more examples, what do others know of, please?

1994-04 Ex BR 08503 with ICI,  Wilton

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
55 minutes ago, DanInHisDen said:

Prince worked at the erstwhile United Glass Bottle factory at Charlton in south-east London. The opposite side of the cab opening was largely blocked by a screen roughly corresponding to the amount of electric motor visible in this shot.

9 hours ago, bécasse said:

Prince worked at the erstwhile United Glass Bottle factory at Charlton in south-east London. The opposite side of the cab opening was largely blocked by a screen roughly corresponding to the amount of electric motor visible in this shot.

Sorry about that, I thought only one was sold into industry.

On 25/01/2023 at 12:54, bécasse said:

Sold to Mowlem who was a contractor during the rebuilding of Southampton Docks and named Bassett. Where it first seems to have the sheeted over cabside.

Then sold to United Glass Bottle Manufacturers for shunting at it's factory in London and renamed Prince to match two other locomotives named The King and The Queen. The King is now at the Ribble Steam Railway.

https://ribblesteam.org.uk/exhibits/steam/borrows-48-1906-the-king/

The Queen here.

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/industrial-and-light/industrial-steam/other/ea87cf944

I think they also had a L&YR Pug in St Helens. They did have some other 0-4-0STs so that might have been one borrowed from the LMS or BR to cover for a failure. I have seen photos, but I can't remember where. Usually one or two Pugs allocated to Sutton Oak about that time, later replaced by Sentinels, so possibly one of those.

http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2012/11/sutton-oak-1954-1963.html

Some photos of Bassett/Prince at the bottom of the page.

https://lyrtrust.org.uk/our-collection/projects/19-0-4-0-saddletank/

Jason

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 3135Spartan said:

A GWR tank engine (Ex - Barry Railway 1) was sold to JF Wake in Darlington. Can't remember what happened to it after or when it was withdrawn.

I'm very familiar with J.F. Wake of Darlington as a bulk purchaser of old Midland wagons in the period 1905-1916 - he bought over 6,000 old 8-ton highsided wagons in that period, which the company was replacing with 10 and 12-ton wagons that cost £17 more per wagon to build than had the 8-ton wagons. Curiously, the company was charging Wake £17 per old wagon...

He was also the purchaser, in December 1919, of 14 old passenger carriages that were then sold on to the Brecon & Merthyr Railway. The last mention of him I have is from December 1922 when he bought one old 10-ton covered goods wagon. I've not looked post-grouping, so interesting to see he was still in the business.

Wikipedia says this of Barry Railway No. 1: "No. 1 (GWR 699) was withdrawn in April 1931 and sold to Coltness Iron Co Ltd in June 1932; it was cut up on site in March 1962." [Citing Davies, F. K.; Firth, J. M.; Lucking, J. H.; Thomas, R. E.; Allcock, N. J.; Sterndale, A. C.; Barrie, D. S. M.; Reed, P. J. T.; Mountford, E. R. (April 1966). White, D. E. (ed.). The Locomotives of the Great Western Railway, part ten: Absorbed Engines, 1922–1947. RCTS. pp. K26–K28.]

• Informative/Useful 1