Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

To some extent, I had no choice, given that I am making use of an existing model that was built for a different location. If I were starting with a blank sheet of paper, I wouldn't start from here ...

BUT

1) It's a 'fast track' solution to get the overall scheme up and running before I get too old to enjoy it

2) It is 'only' a glorified fiddle yard. It will be configured so it can be operated properly (subject to reliability of uncoupling arrangements) but most of the time will just be used to store goods wagons. As has already been mused, the layout needs about 9-10 operators dotted around elsewhere before we can afford the luxury of a 10th or 11th operator dedicated to the shunting of Central goods yard.

Prototypicality / finesse of operation will be a province of other locations around the layout, especially at Carlisle itself. I guess that's one of the 'mantras' of the scheme.

You could make it the naughty corner...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Yep!

A brewing area is de rigeur and folks only get invited back if they bring 'goodies' (FWANT) :blum:

Noted.

I will remember to bring something healthy like chocolate digestives or custard creams. :good:

Also paper plates to save on the washing up.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Noted.

I will remember to bring something healthy like chocolate digestives or custard creams. :good:

Also paper plates to save on the washing up.

Plates? for biscuits??? whatever next .. china cups and saucers?

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Barry O said:

Plates? for biscuits??? whatever next .. china cups and saucers?

Baz

Of course.

And washed up properly between each tea round. None of this just refill the mug and rinse out at the end of the day. Remember I lived in Chelmsford so I have been taught in the ways of posh people.  

• Funny 1

Hi Folks (perhaps not Clive though !),

Here is a proper cup it has an capacity of one and a half pints, the best feature is that there is absolutely no need to break the biscuit in two or nibble a bit off the edge to attain a good dunk.

2099282014_DSCF12881.JPG.556784fa4817ceb6b56366e420f5ff63.JPG

The current condition is that of approximately three months of seasoning as the cup was a replacement for an identical cup that unfortunately became broken, the previous cup had at the time not been washed at all for about six and a half years.

Gibbo.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Yep!

A brewing area is de rigeur and folks only get invited back if they bring 'goodies' (FWANT) :blum:

That's a rule in Mid-Cornwall too. Aldi Light Fruit Cake is always a popular choice.

Merry Christmas to all Northern Hillers.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

ANYHOW...

To celebrate (well, acknowledge might be a better word round these parts) the festive season, I thought I'd set myself a challenge! I like challenges. I challenge myself to ...

Build a coach in a day!

20201225_100224.jpg.aabac2568c4d2247c89de5c553ca34b5.jpg

20201225_095433.jpg.be97208d437e53385be498dbe11cdc80.jpg

Here it is! Hopefully the first of many such vehicles - well 'several' at any rate - so I wanted to build it fairly pronto. It also has the distinct advantage of no interior to worry about and minimal hinges and droplights to faff with!

Won't be today as there's other distractions.  I need a clear run at it so I'll wait for an otherwise quiet day. I also want to do a small amount of preparation and thunking beforehand so I'm straight into the actual build.

Obviously the one day won't include painting - just the basic metal build. Once I decide to 'go for it' I'll announce it on here and post updates throughout the day.

Stand by ...

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

ANYHOW...

To celebrate (well, acknowledge might be a better word round these parts) the festive season, I thought I'd set myself a challenge! I like challenges. I challenge myself to ...

Build a coach in a day!

20201225_100224.jpg.aabac2568c4d2247c89de5c553ca34b5.jpg

20201225_095433.jpg.be97208d437e53385be498dbe11cdc80.jpg

Here it is! Hopefully the first of many such vehicles - well 'several' at any rate - so I wanted to build it fairly pronto. It also has the distinct advantage of no interior to worry about and minimal hinges and droplights to faff with!

Won't be today as there's other distractions.  I need a clear run at it so I'll wait for an otherwise quiet day. I also want to do a small amount of preparation and thunking beforehand so I'm straight into the actual build.

Obviously the one day won't include painting - just the basic metal build. Once I decide to 'go for it' I'll announce it on here and post updates throughout the day.

Stand by ...

That’s a great idea. A time incentive like that is a great way of making progress. Just think how much work gets done on exhibition layouts in the last week! I look forward to watching progress.

Andy

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

There's obviously a bit of Chelmsford I've never been to nor even heard anyone speak of.

Mike.

Excuse me, I grew up in Chelmsford.

Memories from childhood include:-

- Having to shelter in a china shop (well actually it was a kind of stall, but it had folding iron gates) when a bull got loose in the cattle market.

- Getting grit (char/ash) in my eye when walking under the railway viaduct.

- Seeing, for the first time,  a train with no engine crossing the viaduct, and worrying that it was running away.

- The snow and cold in the winter of '63 (?)

- The narrow gauge tracks set in the ground near the old brickworks.

- The smell from Grays Brewery.

- The model railway items sold in Pope and Smiths.

Later it got less comfortable, (where doesn't when one is growing up?) but I still have some good memories.

Of course, I was eventually able to head north on a four hour train ride from King's Cross and find a new centre of life In Durham.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, drmditch said:

Excuse me, I grew up in Chelmsford.

Memories from childhood include:-

- Having to shelter in a china shop (well actually it was a kind of stall, but it had folding iron gates) when a bull got loose in the cattle market.

- Getting grit (char/ash) in my eye when walking under the railway viaduct.

- Seeing, for the first time,  a train with no engine crossing the viaduct, and worrying that it was running away.

- The snow and cold in the winter of '63 (?)

- The narrow gauge tracks set in the ground near the old brickworks.

- The smell from Grays Brewery.

- The model railway items sold in Pope and Smiths.

Later it got less comfortable, (where doesn't when one is growing up?) but I still have some good memories.

Of course, I was eventually able to head north on a four hour train ride from King's Cross and find a new centre of life In Durham.

The track bed of the brickworks narrow gauge line can still be walked from the pitch and putt golf course, where the clay pits were to the bridge at Burnt Mills at the site of the brickworks in Admirals Park. When I had my dog walking business some the dogs loved running up and down the track bed as they were not disturbed by cyclist and runners.

Grays Old Bob, lovely beer. Grays were taken over by both Ridleys at Harford End and Green King, Grays beers being brewed by Ridleys. Later Green King brought out Ridleys and closed their brewery and moved it all to the Bury St Edmunds factory, you can't call what they do now brewing.

I remember buying models from Pope and Smiths, until they moved into Bollingbroke and Wenley's across the High Street, even that has now gone.

I wonder what has disappeared or changed since I moved away 3 years ago. Still all the snobs in Chelmsford want their kids to go to King Edwards Grammar School or the Chelmsford Girls High School.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

48 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The track bed of the brickworks narrow gauge line can still be walked from the pitch and putt golf course, where the clay pits were to the bridge at Burnt Mills at the site of the brickworks in Admirals Park. When I had my dog walking business some the dogs loved running up and down the track bed as they were not disturbed by cyclist and runners.

Grays Old Bob, lovely beer. Grays were taken over by both Ridleys at Harford End and Green King, Grays beers being brewed by Ridleys. Later Green King brought out Ridleys and closed their brewery and moved it all to the Bury St Edmunds factory, you can't call what they do now brewing.

I remember buying models from Pope and Smiths, until they moved into Bollingbroke and Wenley's across the High Street, even that has now gone.

I wonder what has disappeared or changed since I moved away 3 years ago. Still all the snobs in Chelmsford want their kids to go to King Edwards Grammar School or the Chelmsford Girls High School.

Being Chelmsford, I doubt a lot has changed in three years including the attitude to schools! I remember Pope and Smiths. A friend of mine confirmed the demise of Old Bob, lethal when mixed with Abbot ale though a great pint. Greene King are unrecognisable from the company I remember as a proper provincial brewer.

I passed through a few places including John Duttfield's shop and having moved to Dorset in 2004 barely recognised the place when I passed through although the traffic management was still terrible.

Martyn

• Friendly/supportive 1

Stand by - the record attempt is 'on' for tomorrow (Boxing day). Clearance has been given for all day wielding the soldering iron so, tune in from 10.00(-ish) tomorrow morning and we'll see how it goes.

image.png.75f1e3cfae4a62d422f16c33b8ef2075.png

Needs a live stream - with audio, like the stumps have at a the cricket - so we can catch the occasional profanity...

Enjoy your build!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

5 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Stand by - the record attempt is 'on' for tomorrow (Boxing day). Clearance has been given for all day wielding the soldering iron so, tune in from 10.00(-ish) tomorrow morning and we'll see how it goes.

image.png.75f1e3cfae4a62d422f16c33b8ef2075.png

4 hours ago, jukebox said:

Needs a live stream - with audio, like the stumps have at a the cricket - so we can catch the occasional profanity...

Enjoy your build!

Profanity there might well be if it involves getting up at 3am to watch excessive tea consumption and finger singeing!

No seriously . Good luck, looks like a grand challenge!

Shaun

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Morning folks!

Well, here we are. I've had my 3 Shredded Wheat (other breakfast cereals are available) and now ready for the 'off'. Time/date check from mob. fone as you can see just in case anyone thinks this is a big wind up.

Updates will be brief (for obvious reasons) but will try and post approx every 60-90 minutes.

Tally ho!

20201226_093049.jpg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4