Kinlochmore – West Highland, 4mm P4

Kylestrome

Hi David - that’s great thanks for the additional photos. The solution is very neat and very nicely done. Unfortunately where I’ve opened out the moulded corners of the tanks I don’t think I’ll get an EM1 speaker in the fuel tanks - alternate solution required me thinks. Have you used the original circuit board or are you hardwiring the loco to the decoder?

Looking forward to seeing future updates - very inspirational as always! 

Kind regards,

Will

• 3 months later...
On 26/08/2018 at 18:55, Kylestrome said:

Here are some phone camera snaps of recent progress.

David

post-7014-0-55677700-1535305870_thumb.jpg

Station signs and signal wire posts & pulleys

post-7014-0-80200000-1535305885_thumb.jpg

Telephone box, fence, platform, etc.

post-7014-0-18766200-1535305925_thumb.jpg

Telegraph pole

post-7014-0-63168200-1535305899_thumb.jpg

Bushes and another tree!

post-7014-0-52480900-1535305912_thumb.jpg

Signal box area finished and weathered

I love this layout in every way . I’m interested in the buffer stops . Are they scratch built ?

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, meanach said:

I love this layout in every way . I’m interested in the buffer stops . Are they scratch built ?

They look like an offering from Lanarkshire Model Services. I’ve used some of their North British and British Railways kits. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/03/2022 at 20:30, meanach said:

I’m interested in the buffer stops . Are they scratch built ?

The buffer stop at the end of the long siding is scratch built from NS rail, which I had to anneal in order to make the bends. The two buffer stops that end in a platform/loading bay were made from one Lanarkshire Models North British whitemetal kit.

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Kylestrome said:

Ever since my last road bike was stolen from our cellar its replacement has been kept safely in our flat.

BikeLayout-1.jpg.42f114fda23cd096f860a515076271b8.jpg

Well, if I was a thief .... you'd still be able to chase me on the bike as I made a break for it with an 8' rucksack on my back !! Lol .... super layout !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Kylestrome,

brilliant layout. I'm thinking about coming the other way round with a fictional extension from the Ballachulish branch to Kinlochleven, but I guess my attempt will be somewhat simpler as my skills are not as good as yours.

A question about the station building. Did you scratchbuilt it oder did you use a kit (I think there's a plywood kit available somewhere)?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Kinlochleven said:

Hi Kylestrome,

brilliant layout. I'm thinking about coming the other way round with a fictional extension from the Ballachulish branch to Kinlochleven, but I guess my attempt will be somewhat simpler as my skills are not as good as yours.

A question about the station building. Did you scratchbuilt it oder did you use a kit (I think there's a plywood kit available somewhere)?

The kit is here; it's a severely flawed design, though some people have made them look OK:

https://www.popupdesigns.co.uk/shop/railway-scale-models/rail-ballachulish-railway-station-with-extension-oo-gauge-6-x-a4-in-3mm-thick-poplar-ply/

Edited by Daddyman
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Kinlochleven said:

A question about the station building. Did you scratchbuilt it oder did you use a kit

Hi Kinlochmore,

Soon the the West Highlands will have better rail network than the rest of Britain, in model form at least!

The station building is scratchbuilt, mainly from styene sheet, as are the rest of the buildings.

David

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Kinlochleven said:

@Daddyman Yes, that's the supplier. They have a version of Glennfinnan as well: https://www.popupdesigns.co.uk/shop/railway-scale-models/1-rail-oo-gauge-glenfinnan-station/

Peco have recently introduced kits of West Highland buildings too. Theirs is based on Arisaig: https://railsofsheffield.com/products/peco-lk-203-west-highland-railway-station-building 

It seems to be wooden too - which might explain the dodgy-looking joint at the front of the bay window... though the windows themselves look good. There's a signal box too and, I think, a platform shelter.

End of interruption, Kylestrome!  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Peco have recently introduced kits of West Highland buildings too. Theirs is based on Arisaig: https://railsofsheffield.com/products/peco-lk-203-west-highland-railway-station-building 

It seems to be wooden too - which might explain the dodgy-looking joint at the front of the bay window... though the windows themselves look good. There's a signal box too and, I think, a platform shelter.

End of interruption, Kylestrome!  

A thread here:

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Absolutely superb modelling but let down terribly by the lack of weathering on the Land Rover. 😄 Anyone that has owned one of that age will be familiar with mossy green bits on the roof and rusty spots on the wheels!!!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, ChrisB said:

……. let down terribly by the lack of weathering on the Land Rover.

You‘re absolutely right, and it‘s been on my ‚to do‘ list for far too long already. 😐

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...