50 Years since the end of BR Steam!

This particular 'Black Five' rang bells with me, as it was the first '4er' I ever saw - at Low Fell back in 1963, hauling a dead V2. It was the first time I had seen it since then.

Your anecdote reminded me of when I first started trainspotting back in late 1960.  My dad took me in to W.H. Smith to buy an Ian Allan book of locomotive numbers in which I could underline my "cops".  At that time neither of us knew much about trains - I would have been eight at the time - and we both assumed that, living in Bury St Edmunds, the pocket book of Eastern Region steam locomotives was the one to buy.  So off we went to the local railway line and what was the first steam locomotive we saw?  A loco with a number beginning with a "4".  This totally confused my father and me and it was some time before we realised there was more to trainspotting than numbers beginning with "6".

In the summer of 1961 we went to Reading where some numbers did begin with "6" but only had four digits.  Another visit to Smiths revealed a much fatter book called a "Combined Volume" which cost 10/6 - a fortune for a lad who had 2/- or 2/6 pocket money per week.  It was a month's income!  Fortunately my father bought it for me and the full range of BR locomotives was revealed.  It still resides on my bookshelf to this day.

Chris Turnbull

Edited by Chris Turnbull
  • Like 9

It's grim oop North personified.

Mike.

Cracking shot though.

Or.....

Look at all of that affordable housing.

Mind you I was brought up in Oldham and Middleton and have now lived in London for 34 years. 

Edited by flapland

Two at Accrington on 17th March 1968 with loco changeovers featuring 45447, 45110 and 70013 on a 'special'

attachicon.gif(2108a) 45110+70013 Accrington 17-3-68 (T Ermel).jpg

45110 in the foreground

attachicon.gif(707b) 70013 Accrington 17-3-68 (Trevor Ermel).jpg

45447 in the background

Trevor

I think the shot of 45110 - with 70013's under the station sign - is one of the best photos I have ever seen.

• Like 2

Amid all this nostalgia, there is a strong whiff of Déjà vu

http://www.cityam.com/280397/transport-minister-jo-johnson-calls-diesel-only-trains

Mark the 3rd of August 2040 in your diary folks (if we are still around), and head to Preston to witness a pair of 156s head for Colne on the last ever diesel working

I note one option not being considered is a fleet of Tornados!

Jim

@ david.hill64 & Andy Sharpe

Thank you for the kind comments about my recent photo of 45110.​ 45447

I can't remember now whether it was a quick grab shot, or if I had to wait a while until the crowd cleared in front of 70013. Either way, it's quite a nice view of the driver of 45110 45447 as well.

Kind regards

Trevor

Edited to correct the number of the Black Five in both the Accrington pictures.

Edited by Trev52A
  • Like 1

Thank you for the kind comments about my recent photo of 45110.

I can't remember now whether it was a quick grab shot, or if I had to wait a while until the crowd cleared in front of 70013. Either way, it's quite a nice view of the driver of 45110 as well.

Kind regards

Trevor

It's a fantastically composed shot, whether by accident or design, it captures so much.  Brilliant.

Thank you for the kind comments about my recent photo of 45110.

I can't remember now whether it was a quick grab shot, or if I had to wait a while until the crowd cleared in front of 70013. Either way, it's quite a nice view of the driver of 45110 as well.

Kind regards

Trevor

At the risk of creating a mutual appreciation society, the thanks must surely go to you, Trevor, for firstly taking it and secondly posting it here :yes:

• RMweb Premium

Having watched steam in that area and that era I can't express how much I'm loving this thread.  I was 15 at the time and this thread has brought back so many great memories.   Those lovely dirty, noisy yet magnificent machines had been the backdrop to my youth.  Living where we did at Giggleswick it seems to me now that there was scarcely a time of day when I couldn't hear a steam loco working.  I suppose that like many have commented we thought that it would never end.  The videos and photos posted on here have really brought that back.   Please keep posting.

Jamie

• Like 2

Two taken at Stockport (Edgeley) shed (9B) on a cold and damp 16th March 1968

post-24907-0-85588100-1518715447_thumb.jpg

48723 alongside a Type 2 in the rather attractive two-tone green livery

post-24907-0-42254400-1518715784_thumb.jpg

It looks like 'open house' at the shed with three main line locos on display:

Preserved 4472 Flying Scotsman on the left, preserved 5596 Bahamas in the centre and 70013 Oliver Cromwell on the right. The two Pacifics were in action on enthusiast 'specials' from Stockport the following day

Trevor   

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif(2100b) 48723+D5274 Stockport Edgeley MPD 16-03-68 (T Ermel).jpg

attachicon.gif(610a) 70013+4472+ 5596 Stockport Edgeley MPD 16-03-68 (Trevor Ermel) .jpg

Preserved 4472 Flying Scotsman on the left, preserved 5596 Bahamas in the centre and 70013 Oliver Cromwell on the right. The two Pacifics were in action on enthusiast 'specials' from Stockport the following day

Were the specials the William Deacons Bank specials that went to Carnforth, if so I saw them that day and that helps me pin point the date our school transport society had tours of Carnforth and Rose Grove.

Jamie

Trevor

attachicon.gif(610a) 70013+4472+ 5596 Stockport Edgeley MPD 16-03-68 (Trevor Ermel) .jpg

Trevor   

I was there - lots of people bunking 9B that day!  Thx for posting, I only took pictures of the celebrities and now wish that I had taken the real scene like you did.

Main interest on the 8F photo is that it shows a loco coupled to a 3500 gallon tender. There's a bigger gap between the stepped down bit at the back and the top row of rivets and that same row of rivets is way out of line with the top handrail knob at the front.

Main interest on the 8F photo is that it shows a loco coupled to a 3500 gallon tender. There's a bigger gap between the stepped down bit at the back and the top row of rivets and that same row of rivets is way out of line with the top handrail knob at the front.

I knew that there were variations on tenders attached to the Black Fives - I didn't realise it also applied to 8Fs. Thanks for pointing it out.

(I certainly didn't notice it at the time!)

Regards

Trevor