Kidmore Boxed

Following the now frequent posts of layouts constructed to fit the ubiquitous Really Useful Box (RUB) wrapping paper container, I thought I'd offer my two penneth; no point in reinventing the wheel.  Adopting a plan from an early Hornby Yearbook, I came up with "Kidmore Boxed" as a working title. Like that author, I too am a great fan of micro layouts as I have a low boredom threshold.  Micros allow attempts at a variety of scenarios & attempts in all scales to the extent that I have now built over twenty. The RUB permits a working layout size of 28 x 8".

As I wanted to utilise point motors, a solid baseboard was not an option so a top was cut from my preferred material, 6mm MDF. The tiny baseboard size would then not require bracing.  When using a RUB one has to be careful to not exceed the maximum storage height & this determined a baseboard depth allowing for Peco point motors of 50mm.  This permits a maximum working scenic height of 85mm. The next issue will be to hide point controls somewhere in the confines of the actual baseboard surface. That in the Hornby book used a solid baseboard but I am not a fond user of hand operated points. Track is bog standard Peco Code 100 with electrofrog points.  Like the inspiration layout, this too will need a fiddle stick for a six wheel loco plus two wagons & given the tiny size and obviously one loco "in steam", no reason why DCC shouldn't be employed.

The intent is that the layout will be completed in time for the Marlow & Maidenhead MRC's summer exhibition at Knowl Hill on 9 June.  No rush then !

post-9265-0-97024400-1516533123_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Ballasting and wiring now completed along with adding the scenic back board.  This is restricted to the 85mm available space above the height of the baseboard to enable closure of the RUB lid.  Given I wanted to include point switches on the baseboard itself, I have employed a tiny Jouef switch box (unfortunately I believe these are becoming harder to find).  Still need to fathom out how to partially hide it, perhaps something from my wargames box. The Jouef box affords four separate switches but, with just three points, only three are in use. Have also make a small cut out on the LHS in order to add "water".

post-9265-0-59101300-1516709543_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks for comments. Just awaiting on Skytrex parts to create a background building for the LHS. For the remainder of the backscene I'll build from some Wills sheeting & Ratio downpipes the rear of an industrial building. Whatever it is, 85mm is the maximum height available so the Skytex stuff may need a trim ! Any remaining space along the backboard will possibly need a low relief something ! Will post an image of the Skytrex build once completed.

Background low relief buildings now received from Skytrex.  There are six components that make up the image below.  Fortuitously no trimming was necessary. These are received as cream resin items so I gave them a coat of £1 Shop grey car primer before a reddish brick finish using superglue to join them together. Unsure what happened with the colour cast in the image below. As previously stated, the intent is to finish the backscene off by using Wills corrugated sheeting and probably a more substantial building at the fiddle end (RHS).m Once I'm happy with the back, I'll start on the rest of the scenics.

post-9265-0-52142600-1518014968_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The attached image shows how I've managed to hide the point motor switches, well at least partially !  The building is actually a 3mm MDF laser cut wargames kit in 15mm scale.  Whilst debatably under sized for 20mm 00, it doesn't look out of place to my eyes. Indeed, the smaller size aids the switch camouflaging.

I've completed a suitable length of Wills corrugated sheeting to add to the background & found a previously rejected Hornby low relief shed in the odds box which will complete the scene.  So all that's left is too finish the scenic, and fiddle stick........at least I think that's all.

post-9265-0-01173100-1518969759_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Pleased to report that I have now completed this tiny (28 x 8"), boxed, OO gauge layout.  Images attached.......

The intent is that it is shown at the Marlow & Maidenhead MRC's exhibition at Knowl Hill on 9 June.

post-9265-0-03351600-1522160078_thumb.jpg

post-9265-0-57131500-1522159991_thumb.jpg

post-9265-0-97431500-1522160008_thumb.jpg

post-9265-0-30080000-1522160038_thumb.jpg

post-9265-0-03351600-1522160078_thumb.jpg

post-9265-0-81611600-1522160098_thumb.jpg

post-9265-0-46205900-1522160118_thumb.jpg

post-9265-0-08080600-1522160023_thumb.jpg

post-9265-0-99346100-1522160057_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 9 months later...

Following Howl03's successful joining of two Really Useful Box wrapping paper box micros together, thought I'd have a bash at adding a second micro in said box to the RHS of "Kidmore Boxed".  Track now laid on cork awaiting ballasting / weathering etc.  Only significant difference between the original & this add-on is that the points on the original are motorised.

post-9265-0-09805300-1547382475_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Track now weathered & ballasted. Some groundwork completed including siting of retaining wall (plaster casts); these being leftovers from "Dead End" ......waste not etc.  Building to RHS is a RTP from Hornby from the spares box. Unsure if these are still current. The "white bits" are the start of what will be grass banks. Probably fill the triangular space on the RHS with same, haven't quite made my mind up on that one.  The two small boxes that can be seen near to the backscene are fixtures to hold what will be a low relief north light building in place.  The height of this is too large to fit in the Really Useful Box once closed so needs to be removable but supported when on the layout.

post-9265-0-07344400-1547734861_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Managed a bit of progress recently. Decided I would fill the RH triangle with ground cover so a little bank has been fitted & all polystyrene now given a base cover of a brown earth paint.  Next stage will be to add the grass once buildings have been placed in situ ...... a disused signal box & probably a small scrapyard to the front using resin cast parts.

post-9265-0-91609800-1548080126_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Skytrex low relief north light building now received & assembled with applique office & steps; excuse glue marks, parts didn't fit correctly height wise initially, still a decent paint job should hide.  To be undercoated with £ Shop grey primer first before colouring brick work.  Scrap yard details have now been put together & await painting.  I will show these in next construction image posted.

post-9265-0-75926300-1548499714_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Now completed the painting of the low relief north light building & it awaits weathering.  Didn't quite like the way it sat against the background so have added a piece of 5mm foamboard to bring it forward a bit.  Just to repeat, given that it's height is 11cm & the backscene just 8mm the building needs to be removable.  It can simply be kept under the layout when the latter is stored in its home ....... the Really Useful Box.

Hopefully next weekend I can complete this part of the layout & join it to its sister detailed at the very beginning of this post. 

post-9265-0-22586300-1548600885_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having satisfactorily completed the low relief Skytrex parts (above) , I have placed them in position on the layout.  Seems OK.  As stated previously, it will not be fixed to the layout as it needs to be removable owing to the height constraints of the layout box.

Have also completed a simple electrical connection between the two parts of the layout.  Achieved with two connections, firstly simply by connecting a short (removable) section of Peco track between the two boards / boxes, and also by a plug and socket wire between the main power feed and board two.  Will get around to giving this a bit of scenic treatment to make it look like a short bridge.

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1552.JPG

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Have now managed to get scenic treatment done to the short bridge that links the two Really Useful Boxes.  Image below.  Will be showing "Kidmore Boxed", both boxes, at the Cholsey & Wallingford's Railway Preservation Society model railway exhibition at Kenavon, Reading, on Saturday 23 February.  It will be completed by then, I hope !!

IMG_1559.JPG

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Pleased to say I've now completed the extension to Kidmore Boxed in time for Saturday's exhibition in Reading.  Images attached with (probably) more to follow.  The first shows the two boxes as joined by the micro bridge.  May start a new thread on combining two layouts in a modular form.

DSCF1598.JPG

DSCF1600.JPG

IMG_1536.JPG

IMG_1545.JPG

IMG_1563.JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1