Fitting out The Shed [Was: Unconverted loft? Expensive shed?]

I do like the really useful boxes and didn't know you could get wheels for them, as I'm going reorganise my storage I shall have a look at them. Getting height under the layout might be an issue. As I use the L girder method for my baseboards. Good to see your making good progress and your certainly putting  me to shame in your tidiness :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very, very impressive! Those boards really do look nice. I am amazed the brackets hold that much weight without any sag! And to top it off, there's enough room left for a spray booth, modelling/workshop area and a motorbike!! Man-cave heaven!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

47 minutes ago, ianLMS said:

Very, very impressive! Those boards really do look nice. I am amazed the brackets hold that much weight without any sag! And to top it off, there's enough room left for a spray booth, modelling/workshop area and a motorbike!! Man-cave heaven!

I am not sure about the motorcycle!

The brackets are hung on rails connected to the structural members of the shed. The people installing the baseboards did suggest that the next phase (the upper level baseboards for the 00 gauge layout) might need some legs at the outer edge, but further thought is required for that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It looks absolutely fabulous.  But looking at the brackets for the 00, and trying to visualise another set of boards at that level, I can't help thinking that you may find you can't get a decent view of the N, and the 00 will be a to wire.  I applaud your ambition and wish you well, but hope you don't eventually regret not plumping for one or the other.

And yes, I am very jealous :)

Thank you for your replies. As to the heights, the design is for the N gauge layout to be at eye level sitting down and the 00 gauge layout to be at viewing height for standing up. I will need a kick stool to work on the 00 gauge layout at that height, but it will be worth it to have two full sized layouts set in a very different time and place to one another and different in operational style. I may have to put low voltage LED lights on the bottom of the 00 gauge layout to light the N gauge layout, however.

I am going to have to lay the fiddle yard track for the N gauge layout before the 00 gauge layout baseboards are installed, as recommended by the baseboard people, as it would otherwise be very difficult to reach to the rear of the N gauge layout for long periods of time to lay the track.

This is complex, as the code 40 flatbottom turnouts that I need to complete the scenic section of the N gauge layout are not available from British Finescale yet (but neither are the Peco Bullhead slips needed for the 00 gauge layout).

Edited by jamespetts

14 hours ago, jamespetts said:

... The people installing the baseboards did suggest that the next phase (the upper level baseboards for the 00 gauge layout) might need some legs at the outer edge ...

I'm not normally a betting man, but I'd put money on them being right.

• RMweb Gold

I have an upper level Hornby Dublo 3 rail layout 5' 3" above floor level. Firstly it does not hide the 2 rail layout which is at a height of 2' 9".

Secondly I have no "front legs" on the upper layout even on the section that is 15" wide.  I use similar brackets to James, at 16" intervals and have no problems provided I treat it like a book shelf rather than as a bench.

Enjoy the layouts.

Regards. Colin

• Like 1