Railway & Modelling Obituaries

R.H.N. 'Dick' Hardy

dibber25

Many years ago I wrote to Mr. Hardy asking for help on the disc codes and colours used by Stratford based locos. I had a lovely letter back from him with all the information I needed to photocopy, all he asked was could I keep them tidy before returning the originals. I thought this a lovely gesture. His “Steam In The Blood” book is one of my favourites.

This is a true loss to all steam enthusiasts.

RIP

That is very sad news. His accounts of his experiences at various loco sheds were both fascinating and entertaining. 

He is (was) the same age as my Dad (who is still with us), and although we didn't know him we used to see him occasionally when I took my father to one of his favourite haunts of the North Norfolk Railway. 

Heaven's loco crews will have to be on their toes from now on....

• Like 4

Dick was something that has become extinct on the modern railway, a senior manager who had the complete respect of those under him

I think it was because of his willingness to understand them and appreciate where they were coming from, even if he didn't agree with it. He also had that great personal asset (which I wish I'd had) of being able to remember the names, faces, quirks and character of all the men who worked for and with him). I spent a memorable day with Dick, at his home in Hertfordshire, when we photographed him with his railwayana for 'My Favourite Things', a feature in Steam world magazine. Several of the photographs show him relaxing on a Great Central Railway chaise-longue drinking from a hip flask which was also of railway origin! After a conversation about Andre Chapelon, he gave me this Rivarossi Chapelon 'Pacific' which was in need of repair, but more significant than the model was the box in which it came, made for Dick in the carpenter's shop at New England shed. (CJL)

post-1062-0-11557000-1519386400_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Dick was something that has become extinct on the modern railway, a senior manager who had the complete respect of those under him

During his time as Divisional Manager at King's Cross he was my late father's 'guvnor' at GN House in the 1960s; Dad always spoke very highly of him (as he did of Gerry Fiennes).

For a fan of the Great Eastern he was and will remain a legend.

• Like 4