School Project - The Victorian Railway

You know, I'd be fascinated if I saw that at a show.

I'll just leave that thought hanging there. 

My pal, Nick Gillman has exhibited such a layout at several exhibitions using commercial products - the various Bachmann locos, the old K's kit for the 0-4-2 "Lion", the Trix "De Adler"  Piko "Saxonia" the "Triang "Rocket", K's Mataro coaches, Smallbrook chaldrons and a modified 4 wheel version of "Lion".  Preiser figures and the old Triang rubber buildings plus a few whitemetal kits for vehicles. 

post-14989-0-53033900-1524661348.jpeg

post-14989-0-83365900-1524661370.jpeg

post-14989-0-29354500-1524661384.jpeg

post-14989-0-14116300-1524661401.jpeg

post-14989-0-23633200-1524661411.jpeg

• Like 6

My pal, Nick Gillman has exhibited such a layout at several exhibitions using commercial products - the various Bachmann locos, the old K's kit for the 0-4-2 "Lion", the Trix "De Adler"  Piko "Saxonia" the "Triang "Rocket", K's Mataro coaches, Smallbrook chaldrons and a modified 4 wheel version of "Lion".  Preiser figures and the old Triang rubber buildings plus a few whitemetal kits for vehicles. 

This list of locos (& the Mataro coaches) matches my collection almost exactly. I also run Bachmann's 'Prussia' & 'John Bull' but missed out on getting the 'Lafayette' model when it was released. I'm planning on assembling a few more of the Mataro models and fit some form of power bogie into the 2nd class kits to push some of my other small models around. I use a lot of the Kitmaster/Airfix/Dapol 'Rocket' kit for conversions including a 'Northumbrian' type called 'Vulcan' as the first engine acquired by my fictional Glamorgan Railway. I'm currently working on a model of a 'Planet' type and thinking about making some form of early 0-4-0 to add to the collection.

Dave R. 

• Like 3

As a teacher, all be it one signed off with stress, I have followed this thread with interest. I would like to congratulate you both on a stunning project. You both should be proud of what you have achieved, especially in a short space of time. I doubt many other school projects would come close to this effort and output. I certainly have never seen the like.

It is great to also read about the help other members of this forum provided. RMWeb often allows modellers to call upon, and receive, help from many corners of the country. This can be such a great community, as I found out when organising a model railway exhibition at my previous school.

Well done all.

• Like 4

And you do get two coaches, a luggage van and an open wagon for that money, along with a set of crew for the loco, some crew and lots of additional detailing bits (including safety chains for each of the vehicles!). This is, of course, assuming that the contents remain unchanged from the one I got second-hand off eBay, which is old enough that it still proudly bears a label indicating that it was "im Deutsches Demokratische Republik hergestellt" (made in East Germany)! It is a beautiful little thing though, on display in our living room.

Works out at £262. Not cheap... but not as expensive as some HO models.

I picked up my set for £49.95 (plus postage to Oz) on Ebay. Listed as a non-runner but a quick clean and service had it up and running within half an hour of delivery.

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It will be great if we can get some 3D printed early locos and coaches (assuming the economics of 3D design make it viable) to take the place of the Bachmann items. The great thing about the 1840s is that the same designs were used by so many railways (and not just in the UK). 

Edited by Ian Simpson
  • Like 2

I picked up my set for £49.95 (plus postage to Oz) on Ebay. Listed as a non-runner but a quick clean and service had it up and running within half an hour of delivery.

Dave

£295 from gaugemaster in the UK

Albyn

It will be great if we can get some 3D printed early locos and coaches (assuming the economics of 3D design make it viable) to take the place of the Bachmann items. The great thing about the 1840s is that the same designs were used by so many railways (and not just in the UK). 

If one is prepared to stick to tender drives (and not have quite so much daylight underneath as one should), that sounds achievable.  Mind you, I say that as someone who has just failed to produce a rolling chassis with coupled wheels!

Otherwise, I think there is a step up in complexity and skill, but perhaps not beyond the reach of many of us eventually!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

There are some available on shapeways from someone I am communicating with to avoid duplication, but I intend to offer more once I can measure up 'Derwent's motor bogie.

I have a little list .......

:sungum:

• Like 1

It's such a shame these Bachmann 19th century locos now go for so much money on ebay, same with Der Adler and the Piko Saxonia. I searched for quite a while to find ones at an affordable price but never succeeded.

Alex

Keep an eye out for ebay auction sets - use ebay search to notify you when sets come up - an old style der adler set went for £34 a week ago I see and several others for under £60. There are a couple with buy it now prices of £120 but ignore those!  The loco is about 5.5mm scale so fits in well as the original loco is tiny - if you see one from the new replacement HO set it is minute.  Loco is pushed by  the goods van which has the standard Trix mech, built like a tank and will run for ever with a bit of oil and tlc.  The Bachmann locos are not renowned for having a long life - most are pushed by the tender but the Prussian/Lafayette Norris 4-2-0 has a motor in the haystack firebox!  Triang Rocket also tends to overheat if run hard for long and burns out the motor, the TT type, I think.  Using the Trix and Piko powered vans as pushers seems to work well, with unpowered locos, though Nick has managed to motorise a Lion. 

Albyn

I have a little list .......

Deffe-er,Defe-er to The Lord High Project builder.....

BTW, Katisha and Pooh-bah were both pointless answers for characters in 'The Mikado' in the Pointless final yesterday!

Jim

Deffe-er,Defe-er to The Lord High Project builder.....

BTW, Katisha and Pooh-bah were both pointless answers for characters in 'The Mikado' in the Pointless final yesterday!

Jim

"Project dreamer" might be more on the mark!

I should Koko ...

Once they have Derwent back, certainly by this time next month, it will be going to North Road.

An idea perhaps, should you go exhibiting, would be to lengthen the layout so that both scenes are on one side, perhaps divided, with either a fiddle yard behind or a more 'modern' NER scene. Or, use the parts to construct a slightly larger layout with more operating potential, still with a continuous run ability, but I will vouch for how boring taking very simple layouts to shows is.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Once they have Derwent back, certainly by this time next month, it will be going to North Road.

An idea perhaps, should you go exhibiting, would be to lengthen the layout so that both scenes are on one side, perhaps divided, with either a fiddle yard behind or a more 'modern' NER scene. Or, use the parts to construct a slightly larger layout with more operating potential, still with a continuous run ability, but I will vouch for how boring taking very simple layouts to shows is.

I think it needs to preserve the "school project" character at all costs.

• Like 2