School Project - The Victorian Railway

There was a dog?

I was watching Derwent!   Terrific results, both with the layout and Derwent.  Congratulations to Miss T, yourself and Sem!  (and everyone else who helped out!!!)

It doesn't even look like old Hornby track with Rad 1 curves, everything looks proportional and the chihuahua dust* :O ballasting works really well.  Miss T did a splendid job on the buildings, tracklaying and scenic works.

(Ok, I did see the dog looking at Derwent, thinking "If I catch it, can I eat it?")

* That IS right, innit?   :jester:

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wow! Not sure the speed is exactly prototypical, mind you.

And there ain’t one of them D599 wagons in the makeup! Seeing it going makes me realise what a lot the pair of you have achieved in such a short time.

Ps and sem too

Edited by Northroader

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely brilliant stuff - well done Edwardian and Miss T!

The dog looks like an ‘eat-everything-in-sight-even-if-it’s-hooman-food’ dog - also known as a Labrador/Bottomless pit!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

So you like branded clothing?

If you're referring to an avatar of the goddess having her name used for a particularly ugly brand of shoes Sem, - the short answer is 'No'. 

• Like 2

All went well.  I am shattered, though, as I was up until 2am fitting couplings!

First I must thank everyone for their contributions and support.  There is a 3-page addendum to Tabitha's scrapbook charting the building of the model, describing the varied and splendid contributions made by many Parishioners.  So far unacknowledged is Ian Simpson, who very kindly provided a Dewitt, which represents the early 0-4-0 'Coaching' engine and took a turn on a passenger train, three resin chaldron wagons and some more figures, which gave Derwent a footplate crew, a Railway Policeman and four lady passengers.  From the 1850s conversions I made a while back, I pressed 2 Gents and a S&D Stationmaster into service, and Cormuse supplied The Woman in White.

Derwent performed well.  She could not manage the addition of the resin chaldrons, so she ran with the three S&D wagons built by Cornamuse.  The Long-boiler then took the resin ones for a turn.

Miss T presented the layout to her Year (6), and again to the freeloading Year 5s who turned up too!

There were many gasps and expressions of approbation.  Upon learning that the railway was working, these increased in vehemence.

The static display was a very happy addition.  Coramuse's Locomotion went to the origin of the S&D, and a contrast was drawn between her and Runs as Required's Q6 of 1913, which, T's teacher explained, was the year of highest coal output in Co. Durham.

Cornamuse's Rocket allowed T to run through the Rainhill trials, and the DeWitt prompted an explanation of the early passenger services.  The A Class was again there to offer a comparison.     

This video is rather better lit  and shows the whole array (though there is no Labrador): https://vimeo.com/266468523

With Tabitha's permission, I have undertaken to send Derwent off to Sem for 'evaluation', so that loco won't be featuring for a month, but I hope that there will be some further developments spawned by this project.

Thank you, everyone. This would not have been possible without all the help and support received.

The school would like me to approach North Road and take it in, but we'll need Derwent back for this.

post-25673-0-40989100-1524652770_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-70695400-1524653020_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-35518800-1524653069_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-97329700-1524653300_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

All went well.  I am shattered, though, as I was up until 2am fitting couplings!

First I must thank everyone for their contributions and support.  There is a 3-page addendum to Tabitha's scrapbook charting the building of the model, describing the varied and splendid contributions made by many Parishioners.  So far unacknowledged is Ian Simpson, who very kindly provided a Dewitt, which represents the early 0-4-0 'Coaching' engine and took a turn on a passenger train, three resin chaldron wagons and some more figures, which gave Derwent a footplate crew, a Railway Policeman and four lady passengers.  From the 1850s conversions I made a while back, I pressed 2 Gents and a S&D Stationmaster into service, and Cormuse supplied The Woman in White.

Derwent performed well.  She could not manage the addition of the resin chaldrons, so she ran with the three S&D wagons built by Cornamuse.  The Long-boiler then took the resin ones for a turn.

Miss T presented the layout to her Year (6), and again to the freeloading Year 5s who turned up too!

There were many gasps and expressions of approbation.  Upon learning that the railway was working, these increased in vehemence.

The static display was a very happy addition.  Coramuse's Locomotion went to the origin of the S&D, and a contrast was drawn between her and Runs as Required's Q6 of 1913, which, T's teacher explained, was the year of highest coal output in Co. Durham.

Cornamuse's Rocket allowed T to run through the Rainhill trials, and the DeWitt prompted an explanation of the early passenger services.  The A Class was again there to offer a comparison.     

This video is rather better lit  and shows the whole array (though there is no Labrador): https://vimeo.com/266468523

With Tabitha's permission, I have undertaken to send Derwent off to Sem for 'evaluation', so that loco won't be featuring for a month, but I hope that there will be some further developments spawned by this project.

Thank you, everyone. This would not have been possible without all the help and support received.

The school would like me to approach North Road and take it in, but we'll need Derwent back for this.

Wow!  That looks very impressive.  No wonder the young lady looks pleased.  The extra locos also helped to show the development of steam engines.  I especially like Locomotion!  Not too many models of that engine around either!  After all that work and midnight oil it all splendidly on the day.  Well done to all who helped out plus the two leading lights!

Albyn 

Great to hear that the presentation went down so well. Congratulations are in order for Miss T. and her proud father. It was good to see the young lady deeply involved in the planning and building of the items for the display. A lot of kids these days sit back and get mum & dad do all the work for them.

I still can't believe that this project only started less than two months ago! There were a few last minute glitches regarding finishing off the Derwent model but when you consider that it was a prototype print and only delivered two weeks ago with the wheel inserts a few days later there has been remarkable progress. SEM34090 and Skinnylinny are deserving of high praise for their efforts in design to bring this model into being. The spirit of cooperation by all involved shows very clearly how great this forum is for the hobby. 

Dave

Between you you have achieved something brilliant in a very short space of time. I'm sure Tabitha's teacher was well impressed, as are we all.

Do not let us hear anymore of this ' I'm a rubbish modeller' nonsense! You can both be very proud of yourselves and your work.

Jim