School Project - The Victorian Railway

• RMweb Gold

What kind of school makes children go there on Saturdays!?  That sounds terrible.  CyV0Rjx.png

They will have longer holidays as a result, and to honest, for any boarding students, having lessons on a Saturday morning means that weekends are slightly less boring.

• RMweb Gold

Never mind school children, at University there was a residence requirement, so I was supposed to apply to my Tutor for an exeat if I wanted to spend a night away during Full Term.

Was that usual, I wonder, and does it still happen?

Not usual.

I went to an institution with a lower “social standing”, but they allowed us to behave like the adults we were.

• RMweb Gold

Not usual.

I went to an institution with a lower “social standing”, but they allowed us to behave like the adults we were.

Agree. We're giving Annie a very odd impression of British education.

On my course we were allowed to behave like adults, but luckily it wasn't compulsory,

• RMweb Premium

Yes I must admit I've learned something new about British schools.  Here in the colonies we were allowed out to roam free for the whole weekend which may or may not have been a good thing.

• Like 2

One of my son’s pals attends a school that has classes on Saturday mornings, but they devote a long afternoon on wednesdays to sport, and have slightly long holidays, whereas most schools have a short PE lesson, and the children play sports at the weekend and in the evenings. From what I can work out, it all comes out even in the end, except in the case of children whose parents either genuinely can’t, or in very rare cases can’t be bothered to, involve them in things outside of ‘school hours’.

One thing that might differentiate British taxpayer-funded schools from those in other countries is the extreme geographical patchiness of the quality of education. Certainly pals from Denmark who lived over here for about five years found it really odd and stressful that one has to pick around to find the best, when they were used to a universally excellent system at home ....... but then they don’t have quite the same National habit of constantly moaning about paying taxes, then wondering why public services are patchy.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

One of the schools I attended had school on one Saturday once a term, for the benefit of open mornings, and the whole of Friday dedicated to Sport, with the option of (in place of half of the 100 minute games lesson) doing Art or Gardening. I chose to alternate between the latter two week-on-week! I tried, and sure enough failed, to set up a model railway club during his time...

We had the longer holidays too... but we finished at five or six each day, so as Kevin says, it evened out.

• Like 1

I am pleased to report that we have received what I take to be the prep school equivalent of "mentioned in dispatches":

A Special Mention Certificate awarded for:

Exceptional coursework for History, producing a fully working model railway with fantastic detail; a great effort!

Thank you all, from both of us.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

How does the song go?

We know how Caesar conquered Gaul

And how to whack a cricket ball

Apart from this our education

Lacks co-ordination

And indeed the ability to generate sonorous rhyming...

• RMweb Gold

I am pleased to report that we have received what I take to be the prep school equivalent of "mentioned in dispatches":

A Special Mention Certificate awarded for:

Exceptional coursework for History, producing a fully working model railway with fantastic detail; a great effort!

Thank you all, from both of us.

Well Done!!!! I hope it gets framed and proudly hung on the wall, or next to the layout!!! 

Take it as your first exhibition plaque!

We had 'Headmaster's Commendations' during the relatively short time I was in a prep school, after that it was 'Head's Award' in order to remain gender neutral... that was in the senior school.

I think we can probably say that this has been the most intense and productive 30 pages on RMWeb!

As one of the mere cheerleaders, I'd like to say, once again, WELL DONE!

Especially to Miss T for kicking her dad and assorted pals into some sort of action....... :jester:

Perhaps we ought to co-opt her as Chair of the Castle Aching Parish Council.

Hmmmm....

• Like 2

Hear, hear!!!

As a member of the Castle Aching Parish council and, it appears, second-class draughtsman to the West Norfolk, Kelsby Light, Mid Sussex Light and Littlehampton Goring & Worthing Railways, I hereby propose that Miss Tabitha is promoted to office as vice-chairman of this council.

I require a seconder, Mr Hroth?

E. Missenden

• Like 2

I think we can probably say that this has been the most intense and productive 30 pages on RMWeb!

As one of the mere cheerleaders, I'd like to say, once again, WELL DONE!

Especially to Miss T for kicking her dad and assorted pals into some sort of action....... :jester:

Perhaps we ought to co-opt her as Chair of the Castle Aching Parish Council.

Hmmmm....

Hear, hear!!!

As a member of the Castle Aching Parish council and, it appears, second-class draughtsman to the West Norfolk, Kelsby Light, Mid Sussex Light and Littlehampton Goring & Worthing Railways, I hereby propose that Miss Tabitha is promoted to office as vice-chairman of this council.

I require a seconder, Mr Hroth?

E. Missenden

Oh, goodness me...!

Edited by Edwardian

• RMweb Gold

Democracy at its best!!!! Miss T will soon be elected as the Vice Chair, then the Chair and onwards and upwards into the higher echelons of society, before becoming the next Transport Minister, then Prime Minister and Ambassador for the Worlds Model Railway Fraternity! And it all started here! A proud moment in deed!

No James, the Noes... not the nose...

And I hope you are not implying that your daughter bears a resemblance to that Spanish defecation?!

As for you Ian, I take that as an Aye?

Aye's: II

Noes: 

Nose: I