Whitby to Scarbrough DMU and D2051 brakevan trip.

• RMweb Premium

Evocative film. The line is now a cycle trail, recommended and I biked most of it 20+ years ago, easy downhill but steep pull to Ravenscar from Whitby!

Dava

• RMweb Gold

About 10 years ago I got the chance to ride the section from ravenscar to Robin Hood's bay officially in a land Rover discovery.

This would be about the closest you can get nowadays to a train .

What a scenic bit of railway this used to be

• RMweb Premium

Interesting video, thanks for sharing. Did you notice how they were using that circular saw?

It looked quite 'armless to me....

• RMweb Premium

That run for the demolition bidders was organised by Alan (RA) Smith (The builder of Lydney and other 3mm layouts). he explained the process at one of our Leeds MRS Club presentation evenings.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not sure I'd have been too keen going through ravenscar tunnel with that when nothing had been through for two years

I ended up walking through that several years ago in a suit and glass of champagne while at a wedding at raven hall

• Like 1

Walked from Hayburn Wkye to Robin Hoods Bay back in the late 60's i think it was 1968, it was organised by my school geography teacher, he was a Railway enthusiast and often included disused lines. The track had been lifted as far as Ravenscar, i bought a colour postcard from the shop in the square of a DMU leaving the tunnel, think i might still have it somewhere,  i remember walking through the tunnel and looking at the remains of the Alum Workings, i can't remember Fyling Hall Station which my school started to rent from British Railways a year or so later , the rent was £104 a year. We had some free time at Robin Hoods Bay and  i decided to have a look round the station, a couple of my mates started swinging on the chain from a water tower, a door flew open and a man started shouting something like Clear off. The railway might be closed but i'm still the Stationmaster here. so that was the end of my look around.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Can anyone identify the brake van type(s) on the "Scrappie Special" please?

Mark

If you can hang on a bit I can ask the man in charge of the train.. Alan Smith  (the man who built Lydney in TT many moons ago) if he can remember. Off my own memory I am sure it was a standard BR 16T brake van (from the video)

Baz

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

If you can hang on a bit I can ask the man in charge of the train.. Alan Smith  (the man who built Lydney in TT many moons ago) if he can remember. Off my own memory I am sure it was a standard BR 16T brake van (from the video)

Baz

Thanks, Baz. That would be much appreciated.

All information about the line and its workings always gratefully received here :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MarkC said:

Can anyone identify the brake van type(s) on the "Scrappie Special" please?

Mark

The one immediately behind the loco would appear to be a LNER Toad D (Diagrams 61 and some 158s). At 6.55 the film shows the buffers of both the loco and brake van and this features a flat steel plate rather than a hand rail / concrete weight with which the BR Standard brakes were equipped.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, SP Steve said:

The one immediately behind the loco would appear to be a LNER Toad D (Diagrams 61 and some 158s). At 6.55 the film shows the buffers of both the loco and brake van and this features a flat steel plate rather than a hand rail / concrete weight with which the BR Standard brakes were equipped.

Brilliant. Thank you.

Mark