Class 86 Plated over headcode box

Hoping for some inspiration.

I'm looking to detail my various AC Electrics to date them correctly in the mid 1980s, however having found a number of parts I need thanks to some of the great posts here I am struggling to source a plated over headcode box.

I've emailed a couple of people who appeared to sell something which would fit the bill, but no response, so could I substitute something like a class 37 panel which I know is in the craftsman kit.

Any suggestions please from the good people here.

Hoping for some inspiration.

I'm looking to detail my various AC Electrics to date them correctly in the mid 1980s, however having found a number of parts I need thanks to some of the great posts here I am struggling to source a plated over headcode box.

I've emailed a couple of people who appeared to sell something which would fit the bill, but no response, so could I substitute something like a class 37 panel which I know is in the craftsman kit.

Any suggestions please from the good people here.

This is what I did with my Hornby 86s.

Cut a piece of thin plasticard to fill the headcode box, then used A1 models headlamps and high intensity headlamp.  Cut pieces of plastic sprue to represent jumper cable boxes.

But all that was that was back in the day.....before DCC and working headlamps!

Looking at them now the headlamps were overscale but I was pleased at the time!

Now we have a superb Bachmann 85 and soon an all new Hornby 87.  Can't wait.

And please Hornby - how about a nice new 86?  We have been patient.....!

post-17874-0-85043000-1521145989.jpg

Edited by cravensdmufan
  • Like 5

Thanks for that, looks like it's going to be plasticard.

A decent RTR model and 81 would be fab too, but suspect that really is too much to ask.

I used a triang body with a modded Hornby 86 chassis to get my 81. The other route if you want all singing all dancing, is buy a cheap Bachmann 85, a battered traing body, and graft the triang body sides on to the Bachmann body. The cabs are pretty similar. Someone on here has done it and it looks very good indeed.

As for the class 86 front, I just remove the raised line Hornby moulded on, and slice up ear stick tubes for the marker lights. It sounds crude, but in practice it works well if you can get the slices straight. I've done about 8 of mine so far this way

• Like 2

Hello Inspectorsands 

Try Jim Smith Wright.

He sells an etch for £4 which is designed around the Hornby model which includes the Headcode box plate.

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Top right Click on other click on goodies  and scroll down and you will see it.

No connection  but I have seen the finished product in the flesh and it looks very good.

Cheers Trailrage

Edited by TRAILRAGE

Hello Inspectorsands 

Try Jim Smith right.

He sells an etch for £4 which is designed around the Hornby model which includes the Headcode box plate.

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Top right Click on other click on goodies  and scroll down and you will see it.

No connection  but I have seen the finished product in the flesh and it looks very good.

Cheers Trailrage

He's one of the people I've emailed, but didn't receive a response from :-(

He's one of the people I've emailed, but didn't receive a response from :-(

Yes I had the same problem with that seller a couple of years back.  Never replied to a couple of emails, so I gave up ordering in the end.

I see he used to be a member on here but is now shown as "removed a/c".

• 6 months later...

I was looking at some options for this myself and found a  Shawplan pack DP37-06 Class 37 marker lights surrounds for ex side indicator loco's which look like a good size.

There a bit smaller than the Bachmann 85 light surrounds and a bit bigger than the Heljan 86 light surrounds so should do the job. I will most likely go down the plasticard route and drill

out the holes  then fix the surrounds before painting . Also as I'm  unlikely to fit working lights  I will most likely liquid  glaze the holes. Rekon it should look good when finished  

Cheers Trailrage 

If you look at the photo linked below, you can see that the marker light plates are "top hat" in shape, that is there is a flange running all the way around the box, and the horizontal flanges are gently curved to match the cab front.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barang_shkoot/8167038634/in/album-72157629690211192/

May also be useful to look at pics of the scrappers in that album, the ones with the headcode/marker light panels removed.

• 2 months later...

No, sadly not

Well I suppose we could wait for the new Heljan 86 to excite the burgeoning AC fanbase (Hornby AL1, Bachmann 85, Hornby 86, 87 and so on) and design/issue our own sheet of AC electric detailing bits. Anyone know enough to design and draw it?

Well I suppose we could wait for the new Heljan 86 to excite the burgeoning AC fanbase (Hornby AL1, Bachmann 85, Hornby 86, 87 and so on) and design/issue our own sheet of AC electric detailing bits. Anyone know enough to design and draw it?

I'd probably buy enough to make this worthwhile. I'd happily commission an etch. but sadly I wouldn't even know where to begin with process and who to commission it from.