Long Marton, S&C

peach james

No, Jeff, you are not.

But, with 3 pages added to KL today, it takes a bit of time to follow !

The generator puts out quite course power, I tend to use it for the oil furnace, about 6 lights, a hot plate or the kettle, and a 1500w heater that provides a baseload for it.  I wouldn't trust it to run any electronics, if I choose to go down that road, I'd put in a battery based system, using an inverter and a 12v battery, then float the load across that.  Today's fun was wiring up basically an extension cord through the wall, semi-permenant.  We tend to have 6-10 days/year without power, due to where we live.

James

More More More...that's what the programming seems to take.  More time, more effort, more ! ! !

I've had to go and do a bunch of alterations at one time to get some bits to hopefully work.  I needed to do this because I couldn't nest commands in the way I thought I could in RR&Co, so...

Because I want to be able to bell code tied to the loco (seems most sensible identifier of what the train is), I have to be able to tell if the loco is heading Up or Down through Long Marton.  The blocks in RR&Co can start a macro attached to a loco...which means, that I had to create a Up and Down identifier for each type of train.  (fortunately, I have removed a bunch of the less likely movements...like tamper about to tamp in section...)  That still leaves me with 7 identifiers each way.  (Diesel Railcar, Express Passenger, Fitted Goods, 1/3 fitted goods, 4 vehicle head, non mineral unfitted, mineral).  That leaves lots of alterations required to the program to make it work.  I also eliminated the mixed sidings, and moved where the overlength goods sidings are (& designated a 2nd one as overlength, as well as eliminating the through track in the staging yard).  Lots of changes, hopefully they all will work OK.

I also went visiting today, and got a little bit of woodwork done for Allen's room.  I need to sand it, but that isn't happening until tomorrow, now.  (2215 here...).  Daniel and I spent a couple hours outside, he was riding his tricycle up and down the driveway, I was moving stuff around (planter pots, wood, junk into trailer...the usual).

Anyway, I think that is it for tonight.

James

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so where are we?  Oh, that's right, with a lad who wants to see "trains" running.  Given the choice of a certain blue engine, or a regular DMU, he chose the DMU.  (the 153, with S&C wrap around on it...Hornby).  Anyway, I drag out the P5 (CN 0-8-0 shunter, with a bit more tractive effort than a 9F...) and the track cleaner.  Send it round.  It derails.  I re-rail it.  It goes around to the same point...and derails.  I rerail it.  It does it a 3rd time...so I find a screwdriver, thinking that the track isn't quite aligned across the track joint behind the chimney.  Then...oh, this isn't good...

8385820714_8a0a25cd5e.jpg
DSC_0170 by Peach James, on Flickr

So, next step:  Dismantle the lego spiral, remove tables, and then I can get at the track.  Good news:  I can get rid of some of the packing under that track when I relay it.

I think the UP track is now blockaded for then next week, at least.

The good news is that Allen's room is now DONE.  :)  2.5 years to get the work done on my house- still have more to do to the house, but hey...I don't have any exposed floor joists :)

James

Blockade lifted, track relayed with Code 100 Peco wooden sleepered track.  (now I feel so bad, because the whole layout is Code 100, vice SMP/Macway...)

Test running produced positive results.  Then did a little on the LED indicators, next is to order DIY decoders to make.

James

OK- finally screwed up the courage to hit "go" on the latest revision of the RR&Co software.  It worked, with relatively minor problems.

known issues:  Turnout group that locks (I know why, need to change)

Reset action for DMU's needs to be more clearly indicated- and work properly.  (may be more an operator thing- I tried to call on the 2nd train too fast, I think)

James

• 2 weeks later...

Back at it yesterday and today for a bit.  I went and saw Daniel Von Kamel http://lenzgrossgeroldstein.blogspot.ca/ with his wonderful O gauge layout, this was a part of British Railway Modelers of Victoria, (BRMoV).  Then, I went and put some more bits and blobs onto Long Marton.  The work ongoing right now is to pour some more of the plaster of paris into the gaps that exist between the boards.  I'd like to get a bunch of the foam cut on the other side of the layout, but I'm not sure that I will get there before mid March, when I host the meeting. 

I've also been working on the RR&Co program to work, we will see.  I ran the 153 through the down track today as well- much track cleaning is required, as I don't think I have run a down train in about 6 months.  It needs an alcohol clean as well as the track clean erasers that I rubbed through with.  (and the 153 needs wheel cleaning now...)

James

A few more photos as to what is going on:

8430870429_e6694d6e00.jpg
DSC_0174

8431947830_1742e4a792.jpg
DSC_0178

8431946720_556343d78d.jpg
DSC_0167 by Peach James, on Flickr

Ongoing work:  Rebuild the 2nd bell box, now just add the top...and connect the bits, and then program the new DS64 in it, which let me simplify the wiring, and more importantly, make the two boxes the same.  I've also been adding plaster to fill some of the gaps between the modules.  When I got to the area around Bridge 253, I started looking at photos of the area again, as I was aware that the shape of the land in real life is not quite how I had it in the model.  Much hacking still required...but a fair amount of styrofoam got clipped down.  I will cut something of an arch out of a sheet of (willis?) stone, just to rough in the arch.  There are times when modeling somewhere is quite a bit harder than modeling nowhere in specific.

James 

So, we'll start with the current crop of photos:

8450036426_ab1e354d61.jpg
DSC_0080

8450036936_c6b652887c.jpg
DSC_0082

8450037432_7ce7bcfd52.jpg
DSC_0086

8450037914_e763238c53.jpg
DSC_0087

Now, we move way back, to the very start...1995 or so for this oldy:

8448962255_3aa047196a.jpg
DSC_0095

To 2004/5 or so:

8450046608_8f0b7d8b45.jpg
DSC_0090

8450046162_7b9dd24688.jpg
DSC_0089

(this one is probably before 2004)

8450045690_1d927064b5.jpg
DSC_0088

2009 (?) Judged by Mr Curly Locks :)

8450047294_d27dfe9e58.jpg
DSC_0098

Last one, taken at York in 2006...

8448962933_7cec78849d.jpg
DSC_0103 by Peach James, on Flickr

James

• Like 1

So, another little bit done- not much, but I had the 153 running, and tried to program the new DS64 tonight, as well as uncoupling the servo arms from the new servos, so that they don't beat the signals to death when the new Tam Valley signal controller is turned on.

The 64 was difficult...it's still not programmed.

James

Another update:  the DS 64 is now in the mail back to Digitrax, as it only gave +-4V on 12V input...

The Tam Valley 3 way servo controller has one servo connected, and the other not, as well as having it's addresses put into it.

A RR Cirkits TC-64 is on order (64 channel I/O box for Digitrax/Loconet).  To be used as the controller for the 6  LED 7 segment displays that I am going to use because I am too !@#@#! cheap to pay Friedwald for a new version of RR&Co, after the nastygram over me asking for a copy of 5.0c post 7's release.  (and yes, I have a licence, I wanted the program...not the licence).  The easier way would have been some form of wi-fi enabled display in the other room driven through from RR&Co...(at least, I suspect it may have been easier, if I had RR&Co 7 vs RR&Co 5)

Basically, I need to display the bell signals in a visual format, so I need to use some form of display.  The easiest possibly would not be the way I am going with it, but it's a way I understand...7 segment displays, each segment independantly driven by DCC.  I am aware that there are other ways to multiplex them using non DCC drive equipment, or a PIC, but I have chosen to go a slightly different route.  Any way I work forward would have cost about $200, by my math, so this way is just as crude and easy _for me_ to get from where I am to where I want to go.

Tonights fun was hacking at the styrospan around Bridge 253.  The Appleby end had the belt sander taken to it in a grand style, and still needs more adjustment.  I need to bring my dust mask in to do it though, as I am through the plaster and carving large quantities of styrofoam down.  This is adjustment to the rough landform that I created 6 years ago.  I also went and planted a bunch of Woodland Scenes trees at the other end of the layout, as much as anything to get them out of my way.  (better to have a forest than a bunch of logged trees...)

James

Edited by peach james

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=54.614852,-2.514735&spn=0.000002,0.001206&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=54.614893,-2.514582&panoid=Ql8CInNvI46lRZz88RA1PQ&cbp=12,249.86,,0,0https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=54.614852,-2.514735&spn=0.000002,0.001206&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=54.614893,-2.514582&panoid=Ql8CInNvI46lRZz88RA1PQ&cbp=12,249.86,,0,0

OK, so where we are working started out this week as:

8450036426_ab1e354d61.jpg

8470365656_1f0233db01.jpg

Before I hacked another couple of cm off the styrospan, it looked like the above, then I repainted it using the poster paint...

8470368156_28a3f64ec2.jpg

A little further on, we come to Trout Beck...

8470367288_5073cfc85a.jpg
DSC_0012 by Peach James, on Flickr

(the trees that got planted, at the other end of the layout)

James

8469271777_5dbee6edb9.jpg
DSC_0010 by Peach James, on Flickr

• Like 1

OK, the next one that was asked about- the Condor, with the Class 28's in charge.

8483268597_e8e2438461.jpg

So, this is just the chassis with the current (Seuthe #10) smoke unit installed.  It's been modified to have 2 of them fitted, you can see in the following:

8484361274_afa64c5490.jpg

The smoke generator is about centre of the photo, with a sub-mini relay which powers it from the track direct.  The drive to the Bo end of the engine has been removed to allow enough room to cram all I wanted into there.  The DCC chip is a NCE D13SR, and the white bit is a plastic sleeve to keep the wires away from the sides of the smoke generator(s).  The intent is to replace this single unit with 2 of them, both will be #9's (10-14V) rather than #10 (12-16V).  I am probably going to put a resistor across the relay, to feed a low voltage across both units to allow for faster smoke operation.  I'm not convinced on them operating _all_ the time through LM, I want it to be a bit of a suprise event.

8483266365_953bd2cbf5.jpg
D5717

8484358992_6dd226e58e.jpg
D5717

8484358224_1f17d849f6.jpg
D5717

8484356730_5bf4963538.jpg
D5717

8483264039_1df5934ba4.jpg

D5717

8484355972_7941bba873.jpg
D5717

Just 5717 on its own, without any assistance from 5705.  It's a tad weak with just the Co end driving.  Note how the smoke flows along with the loco.

8484355002_909d88cf66.jpg
D5717

8483258737_a3a86f3e7f.jpg
D5717

8483258061_bd61430256.jpg
D5717

The pair of engines together. 

8483257323_4229d30a7b.jpg
D5717

Smoke flowing out from the bottom of the engine.  As the smoke hasn't got a lot of thermal energy, it kind of wafts around, just like at work.  (at work, we have some issues with smoke migration through the drains...like real life, it isn't a fun experience !  (well, for the students, it's theatre smoke about the same as the oil based stuff from the units on the 28's)

OK, so a little more info:  Judith Edge make the kit for Flatrol P's http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/judithedge/kit/293 for the Condor.  There is some more info at http://nicwhe8.freehostia.com/d5705/start.html

James

• 2 weeks later...

OK, last night's fun was getting trains to run again.  As those of you who have experience may know, when you make a giant mess in the room, the track collects the worst of it.  And then, track cleaning is mandatory...and wheel cleaning.  At one point, 5705 could make about 1/2 of a lap before I had to pull it and clean wheels (again!).  This went on for 5 laps or so, then up to every other lap, and later on, just letting it run through.  I moved 50 035 (Ark Royal) around by hand, and put the HHA's on behind it.  So, at the end I had trains running on both the up and down lines, going through the storage and staging respectively.  5705 on the down line takes about 2x the time of '035 on the up line, which is about right given that it's about 2x as far.

Tonights tasks:  It depends.  I'm waiting for stuff to arrive from TTX, Eurorail hobbies and Digitrax, but the last job for this evening will be painting with cheap latex paint.  Goodbye mixed greens, hello uniform green...

James

• Like 1

So, I got as far as wiring the TC-64 up.  3x 3 digit displays, 1x 8 LED/1 digit display.  Around 85 soldered wires on .1 spacing for pins.  (a spare was also done, using one of my extra 7 segment display elements).  Programming has commenced, I will go and get the laptop and do some more later today.  (which shouldn't be too bad to do, I know how to do it now, I think).  Then, intergrating the bells to the display, which will need more work.

The painting was done on Wednsday night, with a 3.8 L can of light green paint bought at Wal-Mart for $14, and added black acrylic paint to darken it up.  All of the near side of LM was painted, to give a more unified feeling to the layout.  I will see about getting backscreens done along the remaining bit without as well, that makes another fairly quick but very effective addition to how the layout looks.  I'm not sure if I will get to hack at the styrofoam on the far side of Trout Beck/Bridge 253 & the goods yard.

James

Sounds like you are making plenty of progress James, even if I don't understand some of what you are doing with the computer control side.  What are you aiming for eventually with the control side?  Are you looking to be able to sit back and watch the trains work themselves?  Or something with a bit more operator input?

Well, like many other people, I find that by keeping a log on here I have to progress at _something_...

So, the overall intent is to run Long Marton as the signalman, with a series of trains (not a schedule, that would, in some ways, be much easier...) running through.  The computer is used to drive the trains, and react as the Appleby and New Biggin signalmen.

That's the primary mode that I intend for "operations".  To just watch trains is easier, as I made up a program in about 2 hours which runs both up and down with varying trains.  It's just when trying to get the signalbox aspects to work right that the amount of work involved spirals upwards at a fast rate.

Tonights entertainment was to take both boys downstairs while SWMBO made curried chicken for dinner, get D5705 running on the CONDOR so they had something to watch, listen to the small one complain about the middle bridge not be in place, incessently (up?  UP?  UP???)  then start working on putting the plastic bits together for the displays.  Upstairs for dinner, then back down after to continue connecting them to the TC-64.  I had to replace one Insulation Displacement Connector (IDC), as it wasn't working at all, and fix another display's resistor, but they all work now.  Then, I started into putting the #'s into the program, and finished that up.  I went and tested it...and of course, it doesn't work...because, I'm not turning the outputs on/off, but Left/Right...and the way I rigged it in RR&Co won't let me do it that way.  Back to changing around 56 datapoints, plus 70 numbers in RR&Co, to make it work.  Some of them will get done tomorrow morning before I go to work, one got done tonight.

I could NOT do this using DC, I would have to use some sort of processor based logic to make the layout work.  Relays would have gotten too costly to get the job done...now, mostly, it comes down to kludging through RR&Co to get things to work the way I want them to in RR&Co.  (note, that doesn't make what I am doing the easiest way to do it in RR&Co, but based on what I have seen from TTG and Beast, I don't think I am that far off in how I do the programming)

James

• Like 1

That is a challenging goal James, but I agree that it is an excellent thing to aim for.  I like the idea of acting as signalman too, though I went the DC route, with train control by block controllers.  They do have some limitations though, and while they are simpler to wire, I think you'll end up with a much more convincing setup.

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like you are making plenty of progress James, even if I don't understand some of what you are doing with the computer control side.  What are you aiming for eventually with the control side?  Are you looking to be able to sit back and watch the trains work themselves?  Or something with a bit more operator input?

Michael, I'm the same with a lot of the stuff that James puts on here. The control aspect of Long Marton is something that's to be admired. Being more of a scenic freak I've gone on that route, but the determination James has shown to get the layout up-and-running is fantastic.

And James, I appreciate the comments you've thrown in to KL and the "Lunester cause" over the last year. Btw, I WILL be getting at least one 28, but I'll leave the smoke units - whether your loco or your ship - to you!

Jeff

Well, it's not quite proper, but I don't need 2-2-3 for instance (at least, not as per the Western region, where it is "is line clear for tamper to stop in section?)

Todays bit was to change over the outputs for the lights, and then tonight I had to reverse all (56) outputs to them, to make them work "right".  That, and add the 2 solenoid controlled signals into the program (just adding #'s for them, they were in the program but had 1 as the ID, which is the default setting).  D5705 got a few laps in, along with another wheel cleaning session, and 50035 moved about 6".  So, a bit more done...

I am hopefully getting closer to being "done" with developing the program, then I will start in earnest with scenic'ly completing the layout.  Next on my list from a scenery prospective is to get another 3 DCC concepts station lights...

(well, possibly the hardboard and 1x2 for the walls may come first...but they are a locally available item, whereas the lights are not...)

It's just past 10 PM here, and I am for bed now- I probably will putz around at 6 am or so with a little work on LM.  Next step:  finish putting the trains on the computer, then press "go"...followed by hammering on the "stop" button about 6 seconds later ! (probably...)

James

Oh bother, as pooh would say...

I forgot only one little minor detail.  I'm missing a DS 64.  The one for Appleby signalbox.  So, when I tried to run the signalbox program tonight, it didn't quite work how I wanted it to...

And it took me a minute or 2 to realize why...

In good news, the LED indicators moved to 4-1 for the mineral that was started, so I may have gotten it mostly right.

Next step:  empty the storage yard under computer control.  (possibly tomorrow early AM), then try the no-signalbox program & see if it works.  If it works, then I am at a standstill until I get the DS 64.  (I think I will move forward on some foam alterations if that is the case).  I'm going to pick up a sheet of masonite (1/8 or 2mm) pressedboard tomorrow to let me finish running the sky to the end of Long Marton.

• RMweb Gold

In good news, the LED indicators moved to 4-1 for the mineral that was started

If it helps I can post the LMS block bell codes ? I'm digging out a small section anyway for another thread, so no problem doing it

Oh bother, as pooh would say...

I forgot only one little minor detail.  I'm missing a DS 64.  The one for Appleby signalbox.  So, when I tried to run the signalbox program tonight, it didn't quite work how I wanted it to...

Ooops... That sounds like the kind of thing I would do.  Is it much of a delay to get it and install it?