Caledonian Basin - railway-in-a-box diorama

brylonscamel

Cor!

I must resist a Barclay... I must resist a Barclay.

Excellent stuff, as always.

Go on .. go on .. go on - you know you want one!

Wow, this is very impressive modelling! I'm looking forward to this one progressing.

Max

Cheers Max - I'm aiming to keep this thread alive with little updates - there's a fair bit left to do!

• 3 weeks later...

A quick picture update to the thread as I make small progress with the bridge abutments - completing a set of arches which interface with the girder railway bridge ..

The new bridge abutments - nothing fixed in place yet, these merely sit in place:

post-26609-0-24140100-1528794988_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-47528500-1528795274_thumb.jpg

A photo showing the whole 'diorama box' with the part-constructed buildings, railway arches and bridge ..

post-26609-0-13199600-1528795460_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic work, your attention to detail is incredible. Apologies if I missed it, are the quayside setts from Das clay? If so, when used in a thin covering, how long does it remain workable for?

Having seen your photos on another thread I'm glad I found this. The whole scene is certainly recognisable from the real location from the Railscot (iirc) page on Bowling I looked at some time ago. Excellent stuff, which I will follow with interest.

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic work, your attention to detail is incredible. Apologies if I missed it, are the quayside setts from Das clay? If so, when used in a thin covering, how long does it remain workable for?

Having seen your photos on another thread I'm glad I found this. The whole scene is certainly recognisable from the real location from the Railscot (iirc) page on Bowling I looked at some time ago. Excellent stuff, which I will follow with interest.

Cheers for the lovely feedback and apologies for the delay (I've been away for a while)

The quayside setts are indeed done in DAS modelling clay.

The clay has been rolled out by a combination of hand and small flexible trowel. I'm not sure my technique is brilliant but that seems to be the joy of the material - it is very forgiving! I found it easy to work and it remains workable for long enough that you can smooth it, trim it and form it before it starts to harden (at least half an hour - although I suspect longer).

As always, I found a practice piece useful. I used an off-cut of plywood and rolled some clay onto it. I sealed it first with a dilute PVA - not something I had read about but something I've used when working with plaster. It's good for sealing and also improves adhesion.

The DAS set fully overnight (approx 12 hours) and was hard and ready to be scribed.

I'm sure the techniques are covered better elsewhere but you're welcome to my anecdotal description!

PS this forum is proving to be a great place to share our modelling adventures!

Cheers for the lovely feedback and apologies for the delay (I've been away for a while)

The quayside setts are indeed done in DAS modelling clay.

The clay has been rolled out by a combination of hand and small flexible trowel. I'm not sure my technique is brilliant but that seems to be the joy of the material - it is very forgiving! I found it easy to work and it remains workable for long enough that you can smooth it, trim it and form it before it starts to harden (at least half an hour - although I suspect longer).

As always, I found a practice piece useful. I used an off-cut of plywood and rolled some clay onto it. I sealed it first with a dilute PVA - not something I had read about but something I've used when working with plaster. It's good for sealing and also improves adhesion.

The DAS set fully overnight (approx 12 hours) and was hard and ready to be scribed.

I'm sure the techniques are covered better elsewhere but you're welcome to my anecdotal description!

PS this forum is proving to be a great place to share our modelling adventures!

Many thanks for sharing your technique! Regarding sealing the surface, do you apply the DAS whilst the PVA is still wet or once it has dried; I'm guessing the latter but it pays to ask these things!

I agree, this is a great place for sharing tips and advice and long may it continue to be so!

Thanks,

Martyn.

Many thanks for sharing your technique! Regarding sealing the surface, do you apply the DAS whilst the PVA is still wet or once it has dried; I'm guessing the latter but it pays to ask these things!

I agree, this is a great place for sharing tips and advice and long may it continue to be so!

Thanks,

Martyn.

Hi again Martyn - I waited until the PVA was dry - at least dry enough to be described as "tacky".

I hope you have fun with the cobbles/setts - I certainly found DAS clay a lovely material. I also found that wetting when you need to make it more pliable was effective - if a bit messy.

Cheers, Brian

Hi again Martyn - I waited until the PVA was dry - at least dry enough to be described as "tacky".

I hope you have fun with the cobbles/setts - I certainly found DAS clay a lovely material. I also found that wetting when you need to make it more pliable was effective - if a bit messy.

Cheers, Brian

Thanks Brian, most helpful, although not on the cards immediately, next time I need to do an area of cobbles I will try this method.

Cheers,

Martyn.

• 3 weeks later...

Making the most of a wet weekend:

I returned to the cutting mat and some progress with an industrial building that I'm scratch-building for my wharf scene.

After looking at some rather wonderful brick buildings in the Glasgow area, I decided to add a nice decorative tower (of a type that often conceals a stairwell) to a building that I had already started.

Much fun of late has been trying to replicate those lovely decorative arched windows that you see in many of these buildings. They also fit nicely with the brick railway arches that have similar round 'romanesque' arches.

Cutting round arches in plain and embossed styrene sheet. The idea being to create depth and texture by layering sheets on top of each other

post-26609-0-42563200-1532943845_thumb.jpg

Cutting round arches in plain and embossed styrene sheet. The idea being to create depth and texture by layering sheets on top of each other

post-26609-0-09932200-1532943869_thumb.jpg

How the tower will eventually fit within two flanking brick facades:

post-26609-0-39325900-1532943883_thumb.jpg

The tower comes together nicely with all those lovely curved arches and decorative stone pillars. You've got to hand it to those Victorian architects - they did relish a decorative embelishment

post-26609-0-07918200-1532943893_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 5 weeks later...

Embarassingly slow progress on my scratchbuilt buildings for "Caledonian Basin" but as summer slips away I'm finding the lure of the cutting mat is stronger.

Here's the bit of Glaswegian red brick industrial I'm working on as it gets a hipped roof and a decorative top to the tower.

I'm sharing these little updates to show my method. There are no rash claims to be the best or the most efficient but it works for me!

I was originally intending to have a straight gable roof but the building narrows along it's length and this gave me some visual problems! It just looked wrong so I literally ripped the card shell off and started again.

post-26609-0-72252800-1535539150_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-86962900-1535539163_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Cheers for the comments Will and Colin - if there is some interest in this 'wee project' then I'll aim to keep it up-to-date.

I have had some thoughts on the factory as I now realise it is capable of acting as a screen to hide the inevitable access-hole into the fiddle yard.

The original building that I have loosely based my building is much taller, with a ground floor colonnade of arches and a doorway. As it will raise the height of the building - I think that's the next plan.

I'm learning a lot about how you plan these small spaces to get the best visual effect. Some of it has involved some painful lessons but this one seems reasonable and may give a bit more drama to the canal-side building.

Top quality work and certainly you observe and recreate the features of the buildings extremely well Brian.

May I ask how or if you have encountered any problems recreating the curved mouldings over the window heads, I'm guessing its Plastruct half round strip ?

I'm interested from a practical point as I may well be employing a similar method at some point.

Grahame

Top quality work and certainly you observe and recreate the features of the buildings extremely well Brian.

May I ask how or if you have encountered any problems recreating the curved mouldings over the window heads, I'm guessing its Plastruct half round strip ?

I'm interested from a practical point as I may well be employing a similar method at some point.

Grahame

Hi Grahame - thanks for showing interest in this model - its great to get positive feedback as I'm still learning-as-I-go with this hobby! 

The curved mouldings use plastic rod rather than half round and were an experiment! I first tried it when recreating the railway arches (which were a larger, gentler radius). I thought I would need to heat the plastic but found the rod was malleable without splitting. I simply glued one end firmly with Plastic Weld and then eased the rod around the curve using the usual capillary action of the glue to complete the bond. I guess Plastic Weld does soften the styrene a little when applied.

I was then emboldened to try it on smaller radius curves with success.

Hi Brian,

I'm definitely showing a great interest in the thread as a whole and your excellent work to date.

I imagined that was the method used to do the window moulding detail and it's certainly paid off especially with the brickwork acting as a formed too, very much looking forward to further developments.

Grahame

• RMweb Premium

Very good scratchbuilding, I like the proportions of the warehouse. 

Just out of interest this is one of the few brick industrial buildings close to the canal that is still about A few miles up from bowling basin at Firhill.  Might help with local brick colours. 

post-30265-0-94685400-1535732531_thumb.png

• Like 1

Yes, stunning work. Avidly following the story. 

Would you make one for me when my CR 0-6-0 arrives from Rails?....... :jester:   :)

A Caledonian 0-6-0 - as mentioned previously, its the perfect loco to cross the bridge .. PS you can have this model when I'm finished with it. But the cost might be prohibitive - it's taken so many hours to get to this stage already! ;-)

Very good scratchbuilding, I like the proportions of the warehouse. 

Just out of interest this is one of the few brick industrial buildings close to the canal that is still about A few miles up from bowling basin at Firhill.  Might help with local brick colours. 

attachicon.gifcanal 1.png

Well spotted! - that's the structure I originally had in mind but I struggled a bit as the windows looked all out of proportion when I mocked it up. I think it just has large industrial windows - but they look like giant domestic sash windows when you place it on the model.

I've attached a photo to show the card mockup that I made ...

post-26609-0-19624000-1535843397_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

As it is, I persisted with my brick industrial building (based on a Glasgow example that sadly doesn't occupy a canalside location.

Because I was aware it wasn't obscuring the point at which the railway exits the diorama box I decided to make a ground level structure to raise the height.

Its been a bit of a major gamble - here are the results ...

post-26609-0-56703800-1535843613_thumb.jpg

• Like 6