Caledonian Basin - railway-in-a-box diorama

brylonscamel

Whilst cycling the local Kennet and Avon towpath I stopped to photograph the old wharf crane at Dundas. If anyone wants to leave their crane in primer grey, they could point to this example as justification.

As I don't model the local area in the modern era, I can't use this as an excuse.

It's a beautiful contraption though - I love any of these hand-powered pieces of machinery. The combinations of gears, grease and grunting can all be used to move heavy things!

post-26609-0-00454300-1547588590_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-19367600-1547588965_thumb.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice crane. 

I like how the diorama can be dis- and reassembled, very neat. Will there be tracks across the bridge? If so, will they not run very close by the new Metcalfe factory?

• Like 1

Nice crane. 

I like how the diorama can be dis- and reassembled, very neat. Will there be tracks across the bridge? If so, will they not run very close by the new Metcalfe factory?

Hi Mikkel - the crane is a little cracker! Extra love for something that was built in my adopted home of Bristol.

Re: the factory, there's actually a generous amount of room outside the factory (it's a very low-relief building).

Here's an aerial view to show you how the buildings sit in the scene ..

post-26609-0-02919100-1547590345_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

This is great -- every element of the scene is so well integrated and the building skills are fantastic. Looking forward to seeing more!

Ah thanks 'Calidore'! - It's always good to get some feedback. After a couple of false starts, I've fiddled about to get everything to fit, so I'm pleased it's looking well integrated now.

Be assured I'll be making updates to this thread!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mikkel - the crane is a little cracker! Extra love for something that was built in my adopted home of Bristol.

Re: the factory, there's actually a generous amount of room outside the factory (it's a very low-relief building).

Here's an aerial view to show you how the buildings sit in the scene ..

attachicon.gifcaledonian-basin-17.jpg

Thanks! I was fooled by the perspective. 

Lots of atmosphere already. I wouldn't mind spending an afternoon on one those barges, taking it all in :-)

Hi Brian, lovely work on the low relief factory. I spy you have entered the "Hornby NBL Type 2 Rebuilding Fraternity too"!

Cheers Martyn - yup I've meddled with a couple of old Hornby 29s but not achieved the results you and others have achieved. 

I'm not sure my membership at "Hornby NBL Type 2 Rebuilding Fraternity" will be renewed by the committee. Then there's the subject of a new model from Dapol which might render my efforts pointless!

Exhibit A: This one was the first quick-and-easy foray into the club and retains all the glaring errors of the Hornby original (which appears to be a weird hybrid of the original and rebuilt locos). But it runs sweetly despite - as someone pointed out - having the wrong coloured snowploughs! 

post-26609-0-45818400-1547721491_thumb.jpg

Exhibit B: This one hasn't progressed beyond the initial hacking about of the cab front and valance.  At least the Haymarket Class 40 is finished and up-and running!

post-26609-0-50908700-1547721623_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 6

Hi Brian - what work did you do to the Haymarket class 40, I have an unmodified Lima one which is due a makeover so I would appreciate your guidance.

Thanks

Jim 

Hi Jim - luckily enough I took a few photos of the 'Haymarket 40' so I can explain the modifications! The Lima / Hornby moulding is a good place to start. They can be easily 'hacked about' and look OK with a few changes.

I'm not expert in the area of loco super-detailing but I got a couple of nice looking locos for very little cost ...

1) The worst bit about the mouldings is the clumsy window bars and glazing. The original locos had much finer window bars and were larger than appear on the Lima moulding. I just filed them out with needle files until they 'looked right'.

NOTE: You can get  some great etchings from Shawplan for the window surrounds and some laser-cut flush glazing to fit. I had mixed results with these - OK I really messed them up - but I put it down to some ham-fistedness on my part. With patience and careful preparation that they  would make a very fine solution.

2) The Haymarket loco had a flush front and square-edged indicator panel. It gained the indicator box as a modification to a disc-and-gangway-doors loco. So I filed away the front and made a little styrene indicator box. I also fashioned some handrails from brass wire.

post-26609-0-77699400-1547725730_thumb.jpg

3) I thought the roof fan and grille would look nice if it had a proper wire mesh replacement. This is where Shawplan and their amazing etchings came in - and a piece of domestic copper pipe to make the fan housing!.

post-26609-0-47213300-1547725744_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-79885100-1547725754_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-54702400-1547725762_thumb.jpg

4) A bit of grey primer just to even things out and then a repaint ...

post-26609-0-77836900-1547725778_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-51944200-1547725787_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Brian - what work did you do to the Haymarket class 40, I have an unmodified Lima one which is due a makeover so I would appreciate your guidance.

Thanks

Jim 

... Jim, I also did the same thing to a split-box Lima / Hornby loco, using the same window re-modelling, handrail replacement and fan housing. You can go further and sort some of the hatch and port issues but I was happy with the results of these modifications.

Before making some flush-glaze windows:

post-26609-0-90423200-1547726861_thumb.jpg

On the layout 'Braeside' with all the modifications

post-26609-0-89486700-1547726868_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Cheers Martyn - yup I've meddled with a couple of old Hornby 29s but not achieved the results you and others have achieved. 

I'm not sure my membership at "Hornby NBL Type 2 Rebuilding Fraternity" will be renewed by the committee. Then there's the subject of a new model from Dapol which might render my efforts pointless!

Exhibit A: This one was the first quick-and-easy foray into the club and retains all the glaring errors of the Hornby original (which appears to be a weird hybrid of the original and rebuilt locos). But it runs sweetly despite - as someone pointed out - having the wrong coloured snowploughs! 

attachicon.gif24977882119_e925de34e6_k.jpg

Exhibit B: This one hasn't progressed beyond the initial hacking about of the cab front and valance.  At least the Haymarket Class 40 is finished and up-and running!

attachicon.gif30442957846_2467b01411_k.jpg

Very nice work on all of them Brian; my NBL's aren't perfect by any means, but having done them I'm unlikely to trade them for new Dapol ones anytime soon, more on account of the amount of time spent on them than any other reason! Although a model of D6123 (only 29 to retain disc headcodes) is on the cards.

I have used the Shawplan cab windows on a Lima 40 and Bachmann 37 (the latter due to damage) and agree they are fairly fiddly as you say; if I do any more I am more likely to try your approach of filing them to size as yours look excellent.

Thanks,

Martyn.

• Like 1

Thanks for asking, Stranraer is progressing slowly. I’ve finished board two today. That’s the first time I’ve build a variable level board.

Board three will be next weeks project followed next month by board four and five. Board five will be the fiddleyard.

I’m Fairly pleased with it but haven’t laid any track yet until I’m satisfied with the boards.

Board three will be another variable height board. They take time to build :)

Cheers! Much appreciated - how is the Stranraer project coming along?

Hi Jim - luckily enough I took a few photos of the 'Haymarket 40' so I can explain the modifications! The Lima / Hornby moulding is a good place to start. They can be easily 'hacked about' and look OK with a few changes.

I'm not expert in the area of loco super-detailing but I got a couple of nice looking locos for very little cost ...

1) The worst bit about the mouldings is the clumsy window bars and glazing. The original locos had much finer window bars and were larger than appear on the Lima moulding. I just filed them out with needle files until they 'looked right'.

NOTE: You can get  some great etchings from Shawplan for the window surrounds and some laser-cut flush glazing to fit. I had mixed results with these - OK I really messed them up - but I put it down to some ham-fistedness on my part. With patience and careful preparation that they  would make a very fine solution.

2) The Haymarket loco had a flush front and square-edged indicator panel. It gained the indicator box as a modification to a disc-and-gangway-doors loco. So I filed away the front and made a little styrene indicator box. I also fashioned some handrails from brass wire.

attachicon.gif30392849001_4de27cac1b_k.jpg

3) I thought the roof fan and grille would look nice if it had a proper wire mesh replacement. This is where Shawplan and their amazing etchings came in - and a piece of domestic copper pipe to make the fan housing!.

attachicon.gif30401060526_7c3a686724_k.jpg

attachicon.gif30138731480_970037ab25_k.jpg

attachicon.gif30401063866_eee8e55547_k.jpg

4) A bit of grey primer just to even things out and then a repaint ...

attachicon.gif30479673835_f94c1818c2_k.jpg

attachicon.gif30248876670_334fc5d5b0_k.jpg

Thanks for your detailed explanation Brian - I have one of the "limited edition" Lima locos with the Haymarket style headcode panel already in place so that saves some work, however the "as supplied" headcode is all wrong and the numbers/letters are too small

post-188-0-36566500-1547734692.jpg

so i will open up the aperture as you have done and try and capture the original which was a bit different from the "standard" 4 digit headcode box.  I have this close up crop of a photo which shows the dividing bars are quite prominent

post-188-0-16166500-1547734458.jpg

Checked on the Shawplan site and I don't see the etch for the windows so I will open them up with a needle file as you have done

Thanks again

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit
  • Like 1

Checked on the Shawplan site and I don't see the etch for the windows so I will open them up with a needle file as you have done

Thanks again

Jim

I think it's listed under Class 37 parts Jim, but fits the 40. But filing the windows is probably easier/safer tbh!

• Like 1

Thanks for your detailed explanation Brian - I have one of the "limited edition" Lima locos with the Haymarket style headcode panel already in place so that saves some work, however the "as supplied" headcode is all wrong and the numbers/letters are too small

attachicon.gif40 crop.jpg

so i will open up the aperture as you have done and try and capture the original which was a bit different from the "standard" 4 digit headcode box.  I have this close up crop of a photo which shows the dividing bars are quite prominent

attachicon.gifheadcode.JPG

Thanks again

Jim

- you've got a head-start on the headcode box! PS the Shawplan window etching is the same for class 40 as a class 37 (where you' should find it) .. 

I think it's listed under Class 37 parts Jim, but fits the 40. But filing the windows is probably easier/safer tbh!

I've used the old Craftsman Models etched brass Class 37 window frames (item E34) for both classes.  You can still ocasionally find them by rummaging around boxes of discontinued items on traders' stands at shows etc.

Alasdair

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...