Which decoder?

Hi,

I have recently converted from analogue to dcc but I don't know which decoder to get. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards, Matthew

For what ?. different locos different decoders

what scale?

steam / diesel ?

sound?

trevora

I've used that site before and there's loads of info on there. I've tried a few decoders and got on well with the Hattons range but for my needs the best by miles are the Zimmo budget range and at around 20 quid I think they are great value. Dont be afraid to ask a question on here, you'll find loads of help.

Steve.

Matthew, I used to do custom installation of chips for customers and have used all the popular types available. I've found over the years each type has its pro and cons, I'd go for the type that suits your needs, size, amps functions, sounds, plugs etc. Be careful with some of the cheaper sound chips as it pays to go for the better quality but higher price types.

You'll find that the use of function key allocations differ across different manufacturers, so what I've done is to use a bit of software called JMRI to standardise the keys, it's called remapping, it's also used to do the setting up of all the elements on the chips. Most manufacturers can supply a interface for programming but will only work with their own products, JMRI is free other than the interface to your system.

Simon