The Nutley, Crowborough and Groombridge Light Railway - Fictional Narrow Gauge in East Sussex

4 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

I also picked up BRM the other day, just so I could read it's tips on using a bow-pen. While reading I decided to have a go by attempting to paint the NC&GLR livery on a small section of my workbench, I am quite happy with this, maybe with a bit more practice I won't need transfers! Thoughts??

I haven't seen the article to which you refer, but could I respectfully suggest you try thinning the paint a little so that it flows more readily and will give you a more even line.  I've only ever used thinned enamel with a bow pen and there is a fine line (sorry for the pun!) between having the paint too thick, stopping it flowing freely, and having it too thin in which case it flows too much and floods outwards.  The speed of moving the pen comes into it too.

HTH,

Jim

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Is John Pollington still a member of UMRC? If so, he is worth listening to on the topic of bow-pens - he taught me how to line with one c40 years ago, including how to identify if the paint is the right consistency (sort of not quite as thin as milk).

Another thought: I find that some modern acrylics dry far too quickly to allow practical use in a bowpen. The little bead of paint between the jaws has a nasty tendency to form a skin. And, I'm sure that the drying times of modelling acrylics have reduced due to change of formulation over the past c10 years.

I think 'proper oil enamels' are better for lining than are acrylics.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Kevin,

I use enamels whenever I can for painting, no matter what method I am using.

Yes John is still a member, however we only see him at the exhibition now, so a chance for a bow pen lesson is probably quite unlikely.

I will go for a milky consistency on my next try.

Gary

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

And I have some stock, including a first class coach with passengers, three third class coaches with no roofs, a set of five, slate wagons, two locos that hardly work, and one that does but has not even been primed.  One day once the standard gauge feeder line for it has been built...……...

I am a member of the Not-009 Society, too.

I have a big old biscuit tin filled with what locos and stock I kept when I moved away from 009 about 25 years ago, plus track and points for the next layout that never got built.

its a format that my eyesight really can’t cope with these days, but I struggle with the idea of parting with things, for sentimental reasons.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I am a member of the Not-009 Society, too.

I have a big old biscuit tin filled with what locos and stock I kept when I moved away from 009 about 25 years ago, plus track and points for the next layout that never got built.

its a format that my eyesight really can’t cope with these days, but I struggle with the idea of parting with things, for sentimental reasons.

My first layout was 009 back in 1977, still have the Roco locos and stock - they were secondhand when I received them, now they are ancient Zillertalbahn items.  Some of then didn't run at less than warp speed back then, I did have one Isle of Wight loco that was new and it was a nice runner.  Since around the early 80s they have been in their boxes (some with decidedly dodgy foam inserts) so I really don't know their condition but i cannot part with them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone! My new 009 stuff showed up!

I got myself a Roco starter set containing a loco, track, and some bolser wagons, I also grabbed an extra couple of bolsters, since the NC&GLR is primarily a logging line

1976170997_2019-04-1812_51_05.jpg.a614ad326c5628c04c2b2865bc6e2552.jpg

935261352_2019-04-1813_02.20-2.jpg.8f782a8d0607e3eae9482d64d40897b5.jpg

The bolster wagons are great, and I am glad I got some extras:

544036529_2019-04-1815_09_00.jpg.2b3c1433954985e317601ecb87cae28e.jpg

As I can't yet bring myself to clear the space that will be the layouts, so the track got setup on the living room floor, just like all those Christmas memories so many have!

713934210_2019-04-1818_47_07.jpg.22c150e97d38e94c75ae932a871459ab.jpg

I then found myself a board to temporarily mount the track on so that my 009 stock can get a run:

424414584_2019-04-1909_41_30.jpg.137d15c738a8e04b958ffd401bef0c19.jpg

and with that I put some couplings back into my existing stock, and ran some decent length trains behind NC&GLR Number 1 Nutley:

9945164_2019-04-1922_04.32-1.jpg.14047cd471b8592630621e5682d09b6c.jpg

Now that they can run, I think I need to get some crew made up for the locos!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 12

• 2 months later...

Things seem quiet on the NC&G front, but I was out early this morning carrying out some field research for you.

First photo is taken at the road (lane?) junction in the Motts Mill valley ....... your line will be a roadside tramway at this point, I think, if you follow my previous logic.

Second photo shows where I envisage the exchange wharf being, where NR have installed all that cribbing to prevent further bank slips.

5FCCA894-21EA-4A86-8712-92941BC078EC.jpeg

6C74BD74-7BB2-46DD-B1F3-C377BA530000.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Kevin!

Excellent to see some pictures. I was up in Groombridge a couple of weeks ago (even went to Penshurst which is where Oak Hill is supposed to be).

I have run all the locos on my test track, and have videos to upload, my modelling has taken a back seat to other things at the moment, other than the Sunday night YouTube stuff. Wanting to get on with this project again soon though!

Gary

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/04/2019 at 22:48, BlueLightning said:

Hi everyone! My new 009 stuff showed up!

I got myself a Roco starter set containing a loco, track, and some bolser wagons, I also grabbed an extra couple of bolsters, since the NC&GLR is primarily a logging line

The bolster wagons are great, and I am glad I got some extras:

As I can't yet bring myself to clear the space that will be the layouts, so the track got setup on the living room floor, just like all those Christmas memories so many have!

I then found myself a board to temporarily mount the track on so that my 009 stock can get a run:

and with that I put some couplings back into my existing stock, and ran some decent length trains behind NC&GLR Number 1 Nutley:

9945164_2019-04-1922_04.32-1.jpg.14047cd471b8592630621e5682d09b6c.jpg

Now that they can run, I think I need to get some crew made up for the locos!

Gary

This Roco set was available recently, in a model shop up my way, Gary! Gave in and purchased it along with a couple of small Liliput  DR Epoch II coaches. I’ve been reading up about the history of  Swiss railways and also the Bavarian Forest Railway, so might create my own little fictional HOe layout? Maybe later I’ll tackle an industrial tramway based on a local Highland industry? Enjoying reading your topic here! :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's a great set isn't it Marly!

I like the sound of your plans, are you going to start a thread for it? Please let me know if you do!

If everything goes as planned on eBay there will be a big update to this thread in the very near future!!

Gary

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

It's a great set isn't it Marly!

I like the sound of your plans, are you going to start a thread for it? Please let me know if you do!

If everything goes as planned on eBay there will be a big update to this thread in the very near future!!

Gary

Looking forward to your update here! Will keep you posted on my early attempts in narrow gauge. :)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

*Pushes the tumble weed away, and dusts the surfaces*

It's been a while since I've been here. That's mainly because I haven't done any 009 for a while, however I have brought couple of things, and also done something that precludes progress, so without further ado.

First a new loco, and in fact it is a loco that has been mentioned here as a good fit for the layout in the past! It just needs a chassis, a new chimney, and a rebuild!

810830016_2019-11-0213_43.01-1.jpg.088f46d92f63c12e1ecd3b66598f5547.jpg

and along with that came a brake carriage, this is an old GEM kit that is no longer produced, although I have heard they also used to do a composite, so it would be great to get my hands on one of them as well!! Again, a couple of parts need replacing, and it needs a rebuild

636623490_2019-11-0213_43.08-1.jpg.b2c37b24916267f116416db8a8b32266.jpg

and as for making progress well I now have a nicely cut piece of wood that says this:

1899754681_2019-11-0220_01_23.jpg.276f49cd7899cfd11697de3c400c8852.jpg

So expect things to happen at some point! I still need to cut the framing before I can actually put the layout up, but things are happening!!

Gary

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Kevin,

I have a feeling it was you that mentioned it as suitable in the first place, and when I saw it on eBay in an auction labelled "Whitemetal parts" I put a bid in just for it. The carriage was one of the other parts that came with it, shame it was only the one!!

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 3