The Nutley, Crowborough and Groombridge Light Railway - Fictional Narrow Gauge in East Sussex

I still like the idea of a blue livery, even if the final shade you choose is different to the current one. You don't see many 009 layouts with blue liveries (compared to red, green or black) and so I think it would make a nice contrast. :)

- Alex

• RMweb Gold

It depends on the shade.

BR chose “monastral blue”, which is slightly unpleasant on the eye. Had they chosen something close but different, such as Oxford blue, it might have been better received.

But it wasn’t.

Incidentally, my Y65 was spray painted with “VW Marine Blue” from a rattle can, and I painted some Gloy GER blue onto part of the boiler where no one could see it (underside, between the tanks) and the two are indistinguishable. So much so, I wasn’t sure where the blob was, once it had dried.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

Your George England Loco when it arrives on the back of a lorry/transporter wagon from the Twll Du will come with a Midnight Blue livery, (Humbrol 150, and red buffer beams.  My coaches are the same blue as well.  This colour scheme was chosen well over 25 years ago on the basis that I liked them.  Knew nothing of pigments and short lasting paints.  The young Englishman up at the big house was wondering why he had to settle a bill for paint every couple of years.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Somebody ask for a Blue Engine?

post-27238-0-01727200-1538172490_thumb.jpg

post-27238-0-45454900-1538172472_thumb.jpg

With notable exceptions I am not a great fan of Blue engines - especially not any of the Blues used by BR since Nationalisation. BUT - the GER "Ultramarine" looks very stylish and Garter Blue A4s are glorious, in my view.

Of course I am rather proud of the O16.5 model illustrated here - now nearly 40 years old.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 9

P1010689.jpg

P1010679a.jpg

With notable exceptions I am not a great fan of Blue engines - especially not any of the Blues used by BR since Nationalisation. BUT - the GER "Ultramarine" looks very stylish and Garter Blue A4s are glorious, in my view.

Of course I am rather proud of the O16.5 model illustrated here - now nearly 40 years old.

Regards

Chris H

That is ADORABLE! I can see why you're so proud of it!

attachicon.gifP1010689.jpg

attachicon.gifP1010679a.jpg

Regards

Chris H

Very nice - is that bashed from the Minicraft Japanese Vulcan kit? It looks very nice, and I've had thoughts of kitbashing an 0-16.5 train from the kit for a while...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Very nice - is that bashed from the Minicraft Japanese Vulcan kit? It looks very nice, and I've had thoughts of kitbashing an 0-16.5 train from the kit for a while...

Glad you like it - and yes its parentage includes boiler and fittings / tanks (shortened) / cab / cylinders / chimney from what was then - late 1970s - the "Gakken" kit for the first train in Japan, now available under the Minicraft label.

The rest of the body - foot plate / outside frames / headstocks - is all plastic sheet, except chimney top and salter safety valve spring from brass and pipes / handrails from wire.

The running gear is home-brewed from brass and aluminum etc, running on Romford wheels and gears  with a ECM motor (Type 3 (?) - the one that is a direct replacement for a Tri-ang XO4).

Actually I was error when I said it is nearly 40 years old. It was pictured in the January 1979 Model Railway Constructor - so must be a full 40 already.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 4

attachicon.gifP1010689.jpg

attachicon.gifP1010679a.jpg

Regards

Chris H

Reminds me that I still need to do something with my Vulcan kit! Current plans for the loco are sketchy, but the coaches are going into Umber and White as a Push-Pull set for y fictional LBSCR-run scheme...

Could someone please inform me as to why these strange multiple-coloured boxes are appearing in a contemporary railway discussion area? They seem to have some vague resemblance to one of those new North Eastern 'Autocar' things, but the artist has clearly not painted one of those!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Could someone please inform me as to why these strange multiple-coloured boxes are appearing in a contemporary railway discussion area? They seem to have some vague resemblance to one of those new North Eastern 'Autocar' things, but the artist has clearly not painted one of those!

Well, son, there are things like mom’s apple pie, that you’ve forgotten all about, til you catch the smell again thro the open kitchen window, and then you get a lump in your throat, and a tear runs down your cheeks. Well, I kinda get that feeling stealing over me when I think of the good ole Network Southeast and the good times we had back then.

Could some kind soul please enlighten me as to what this 'Network South East' business is? I know only of the South Eastern & Chatham Railway, but the former terminology appears to suggest a wider area possibly encompassing the Great Eastern, South Western, London Brighton & South Coast and possibly even parts of the Midland, Great Central, Great Western, Great Northern and even the London & North Western companies?

At any rate, these autocar things are silly - they'll never take off.

• Like 1

They are motorised biscuit tins!   :jester:

Jim

• Like 1