BRM June '18

SteveCole

• RMweb Gold

Really? And yet you use emotive terms like "shafted"?

Persuading people to pick up a copy of any magazine on the newsstand is difficult. This is, as Andy has said, an experiment. As a man who works in science, perhaps you could suggest another method to test the market?

Content is not "missing" from the copies on the shelf, it's just a different offer this month. Steve was very upfront about this, we've not hidden this from anyone. To do so would reduce the effectiveness of the trial. Basically, if you don't like it, then you won't buy it. See my suggestion of how this will affect things above. This month, the "complete package" is a magazine. The DVD is an extra, a fact often advertised on the cover when the point is made that it is being given away for free. That "complete package" will change from time to time. You don't say (for example) that Railway Modeller isn't the "complete package" when there isn't a Metcalf kit stuck to the front, do you? Yet some months there is a kit, some months there isn't. 

As for "I made a point of inviting somebody from Warners to confirm that all the DVD content would, in time, be made available to everyone who pays for our regular copy," - exactly how would you prove this? Have you kept receipts for all the copies?  Or is this more fireworks?

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

As I've already made clear, I've never liked "fireworks" / arguments - I never set out to cause them - and I'm desperate to avoid them here. After all, if there were to be arguments, there'd be no winners and plenty of losers. Let's not go there.

Let's face it - I've never been a trouble maker - and I've got no plans to become one.

For this reason, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on certain issues here.

Regards,

Huw.

Yeah I didn't buy it either, tried the download version before, but didn't like at as it didn't work properly.

So this months people who buy from the shops just miss out on this months dvd? Bit unfair I feel as it will give false results on market research. Of course people will just go buy that one copy online.

Either way I can't watch it either way.

I was disappointed not to find a video with this month's BRM. Although a bit amateurish at times, it does provide an extra dimension. It was the reason that I started buying BRM rather than the competitor. As for the digital option, my wife doesn't like me using the computer in bed (no extra comment needed on this topic thankyou!), whereas reading a magazine is acceptable. So please carry on with the video.

Mike Davie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yeah I didn't buy it either, tried the download version before, but didn't like at as it didn't work properly.

So this months people who buy from the shops just miss out on this months dvd? Bit unfair I feel as it will give false results on market research. Of course people will just go buy that one copy online.

Some people will - some won't.

However, I could imagine issues like this distorting the market research data.

Some people might have been wondering why I expressed strong views regarding small, independent, local newsagents. About 10 years back, I found myself without one for about 6 months. OK - the reasons for this had little to do with magazine sales - but it was a bit of a nuisance. For various reasons, this would be even more of a nuisance if it were to happen again in my area.

I have noticed that some of these places only get specific magazines in if the previous month's one has sold (preferably not "last minute") - so I really don't want significant parts of the magazine "package" to be missing only from newsstand editions (or anything else which might turn people off buying their copy from them). If people refuse to buy their regular copy from some of these shops, they won't find the next edition there in a few weeks' time.

I know that certain people would suggest that "the DVD isn't missing from the newsstand version - it's just a different package". Well, I'm not trying to stop anyone arguing this - but a number of people (here and elsewhere) would beg to differ - and these are some of the people who normally buy this magazine.

Some people would refuse to buy a magazine if they (quite reasonably) feel that they're getting an incomplete package, which fails to include content commented on in this thread - no amount of telling people that this is not the case will change these people's minds.

Of course, how many of these people would actively choose to buy a magazine because it comes with a DVD is another matter completely.

However, the reasonable perception of missing content - and an incomplete package - was why I sought an assurance that all this month's DVD content would be made available to all BRM readers in some form and in due course. (Please note, I was not saying when, or in which form.) Whether or not certain people happened to like this question, there was nothing unreasonable about it. More to the point, a simple statement to the effect that this content would be made available in due course would have been enough to avoid any hostilities - hostilities which, I'm sure, nobody here wants.

Anyway, returning to the newsagents, I'm not exactly worried about WHS - nobody would be able to push them about - they're big enough to take care of themselves - and they're more than capable of looking after their own interests. No, WHS are not an issue as far as I'm concerned.

Small "independents" probably have rather less "clout" than much larger companies - and I don't want to lose them.

As it happens, my local newsagent's current proprietor actually stocks a number of model railway titles (several of which I often buy) - from a number of publishers. If they were to stop "doing" BRM, I could always buy ModelRail, or Hornby Magazine, or ... . OK - so the content's different - but I can usually find something of interest as, I'm sure, could the other people in my part of Cwmbran who just happen to be interested in model railways.

As for subscriptions, it's not going to happen - not round here, anyway - so I'm sure I'm not alone in not wanting anything that might alienate newsstand customers.

Whether or not any of us happen to be in favour of the current piece of "market research" - well, that's likely to come down to personal opinions (and possibly other factors). I guess that a number of people here will just need to "agree to disagree" on this stuff.

Anyway, time to move on - my "kitbash" project won't build itself ... .

Regards,

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

• RMweb Gold

I would have to agree with Huw. Spending the last few years establishing the fact that BRM comes with a DVD then doing some spurious bit of market research involving letting some regular buyers get the DVD whilst others don't will simply alienate those who miss out whilst the fact that it's for one month only means that any data derived from will be all but worthless. If it were to have any validity at all then drop the DVD across the board but it would need to be done for several months to give any useful data - people tend to take a while to change their habits.

I get the argument that the DVD is an extra and not actually part of the complete package but, in all honesty, it's just semantics and simply doesn't hold water. I think BRM have scored an own goal with this and simply shot themselves in the foot.

On a personal level, if you really want people like me to buy the mag more regularly, start printing it on better quality paper which do Andy's photos justice.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

I got a DVD with my copy of BRM - because I've got a subscription.  So maybe the message is that if you happen to like having the 'free' DVD then the answer is to take out a subscription - which saves you money in any case.  

I think Jerry is right about the question of paper quality as some pics do seem to have suffered from its effects.  i've recently, and for specific reasons, bought a couple of issues of 'the Modeller' and while the paper it is printed on has definitely gone downhill from the past it does 'feel' better and seems denser than the paper used in BRM and it gives some pretty good colour photo reproduction.  I realise it's all a matter of costs and what have you but does the quality of paper used affect reader's perceptions of overall quality, especially of photo reproduction, and hence impact their choice to buy the mag on a regular basis?

• RMweb Gold

I think Jerry is right about the question of paper quality as some pics do seem to have suffered from its effects.

I realise it's all a matter of costs and what have you but does the quality of paper used affect reader's perceptions of overall quality, especially of photo reproduction, and hence impact their choice to buy the mag on a regular basis?

For me, there are a number of factors.

Certainly, I don't think anyone here would want a "photo-rich" mag printed on the sort of paper normally found on rolls in restrooms.

I've already made it clear what I think about paying full price for a "package" with "something missing" (let's not get into arguments about semantics - the perception's there and it's not going anywhere).

As long as I am getting all the content everyone else is getting, I'm not too worried about DVDs. If there's a reason for them being there, then great - if not, well you get the idea … .

There's also the little matter of this site - which company pays the bills - so I am definitely not anti- Warners.

How about the content itself? Well, I buy magazines for a mixture of inspiration and prototype info. I like scale drawings (though preferably not ones that look like they came out of an 80 dpi dot matrix printer - so I might not be about to buy one book of electric multiple unit drawings).

I also like seeing how people have solved various difficulties in their modelmaking. Hardly surprising, really - as an engineer, this is one of my favourite aspects of the hobby.

It might also explain a current kitbashing project - bodging a brake van kit and sundry other items into something vaguely resembling a pioneer petrol railcar. However, I can't see this being of interest to anyone else round here, so don't worry - I won't keep you any longer.

Regards,

Huw.

. . . . does the quality of paper used affect reader's perceptions of overall quality, especially of photo reproduction, and hence impact their choice to buy the mag on a regular basis?

For me it is undoubtedly a consideration concerning perceived quality and obviously a factor in any purchasing decision, but not the only one.

G

Hi 

I do not a usually reply to RMweb, but all you guys appear to be lucky you have received your mags either hard copy or digital. I too have been a reader of the mag since the 1st issue and have been a subscriber for a long time, but to date, I have not received the June Issue so I have no mag or DVD!!! Is this just a problem with my copy or are other subscribers similarly affected?

This has only occurred once before some years ago, but as I am currently building a layout for grandson and myself, I am particularly keen to receive the current issue of the mag. 

Last time I sent an email, but did not receive a reply but received the next issue of the magazine on time! So this time I will send email to a couple of the staff who have responded to this thread, with the hope they can pass my mail on to the appropriate dept.

For the record I agree with most of the responders to this thread and feel the DVD has become an integral part of the magazine.

Stuart (Olde Frank)

• RMweb Gold

For the record I don't currently subscribe but I did buy this month's edition once I had perused it at WHS as it had a lot of good content.

The 02 and Salmon build articles were great, pitched at the right level for myself in terms of skill level and being D+E related. The layouts were also good. The Crowdfunding article was another draw, as was the Mechanical Traveller. Overall there was well above average for content that I personally was interested in, hence the purchase.

It helped that it was a special offer price of £3.99 and that it had the Scenecraft catalogue (I love flicking through catalogues). The lack of DVD was not an issue as I buy magazines to read on the train, not gawp at a screen. I watch the DVD's when doing the ironing, but would not be unduly concerned if they were not present - it is what is in the mag that counts for me. In fact no DVD and a lower price would be ideal from my perspective.

I toddle off to the newsagent every month, along with a number of the social media community who I converse with, and buy my copy of BRM. This month however, I’m told that there is no DVD for me or anyone who buys from a local shop

I’m told I’m part of an experiment? BUT, those who have subscribed with the publisher or online will get the DVD. What’s all that about?

What a shame we can’t have a link to view online instead? Maybe at a later date? Or on a future DVD

Don’t get us wrong, it’s not about whether you do a DVD or not, it’s about discriminating against a section of your regular readers.

Editor: it’s not on! - same for every buyer of your product please! - but hey what does that matter we are just a group of unwanted customers!

JC Goodison Road Model Railway