GWR class 47 in 1985

• RMweb Gold

Almost. 47079, 47500 and 47628 all received other liveries in later years, but 47484 was withdrawn still in the GW150 green. Have a look at www.class47.co.uk or Flickr

Edited by Western Aviator

It was 1990 before I got the chance to travel around the country, I know 628 had been repainted by then but I did see 484 and 500 still in green. 484 was kept in good condition by Old Oak Common, 500 started to look a little shabby before its repaint in another livery, I think it lasted close to 10 years in green. Check Western Aviator's suggestions for confirmation.

To shed more light on this an apologies to those that have the book, Class 47 50 Years of Locomotive History has a section on this livery. Reporoduced below.

For the GW150 celebrations in 1985, Nos 47079, 47484, 47500 and 47628 were given a rendition of Great Western Railway Brunswick Green. The bodyside area between the cabs was lined in GWR-style orange and black. Cast GWR-style number plates were fixed beneath the cab windows on the driver’s side, and cast brass BR double-arrow symbols were similarly attached on the secondman’s side. New GWR-style nameplates were provided. At first, problems were experienced with getting the livery correct. No 47628 Sir Daniel Gooch was released from Crewe Works in January carrying the first attempt at the livery but without number plates or lining. The shade of green used was too light, and normal number transfers were placed beneath the driver’s windows. The locomotive was then lined out, and in this condition worked a Bristol City football supporters’ charter to Gillingham on 16 March. No 47628 was then repainted at Laira, but again a satisfactory outcome could not be achieved. At the third time of asking, Crewe Works were able to complete the painting satisfactorily. Similar problems occurred with No 47484 Isambard Kingdom Brunel, which also had to be repainted more than once in order to achieve the correct finish. One or two small variations appeared between the four locomotives in the detailed application of the livery. The most notable of these was the area around the cabside windows. On Nos 47079 and 47484 the yellow painted area stopped short of the leading cabside handrail, whereas on Nos 47500 Great Western and 47628 it extended all the way to the door frame. On 17 August 1985, the Western Region staged an impressive line up of all four locomotives at Old Oak Common, along with similarly painted Class 50 No 50007 Sir Edward Elgar. Pictures were taken in two locations; outside the ‘Factory’, with further shots taken around the turntable. For their Open Day a month later on 15 September, the turntable location was again used to display the four GWR green Class 47s. They were to retain the livery for some time after the GW150 celebrations ended. No 47079 G. J. Churchward was the first to lose it, to the new two-tone grey Railfreight livery in October 1987. Next was No 47628 which emerged in ‘Mainline’ general purpose livery following an ‘F’ Exam at Doncaster in December 1989, and finally No 47500 when released from overhaul to Rail express systems red on 5 November 1992. No 47484 carried GWR-style livery for the remainder of its working life, and long afterwards.

• Like 1

At first, problems were experienced with getting the livery correct. No 47628 Sir Daniel Gooch was released from Crewe Works in January carrying the first attempt at the livery but without number plates or lining. The shade of green used was too light

I remember unexpectedly seeing 47628 in grass green at Paddington - for some reason I'd been expecting the much-heralded repaints to be turned out in 1960s two tone green. I can't remember whether it was on its first or second repaint at the time, but photos hadn't appeared in the magazines before I saw it. Either way, it looked very odd and disappointing. I also remember an article soon afterwards suggesting that Crewe had sent someone to the local DIY store to buy the paint, which was why the original finish was not quite what WR management was expecting to receive (I have no idea whether the story was true).

David

Apart from 47628 which was scrapped in 2006. All are still intact although 47079 is the only runner albeit as 57009. 47500 is stored at Carnforth following fire damage while in use with West Coast Railway company. And 47484 is privately owned at wishaw

• 4 months later...