• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Just going back to the lead between the roofs, I looked up what colours I used for it. Turns out it is neat Humbrol Matt Acrylic 96 PRU Blue.

Al.

Thanks Al

I suppose I should put some lead flashing around the canopy?

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I guess it depends on what material the canopy is covered in, to a certain extent. If it's the usual bitumen and gravel, then the flashing would probably be bitumen or tarpaper as well.

On two sides, the roof slates overhang the canopy, so you wouldn't necessarily need flashing, but the left side as you look at it would need some sort of flashing to protect the join from the main building wall.

Al.

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

I guess it depends on what material the canopy is covered in, to a certain extent. If it's the usual bitumen and gravel, then the flashing would probably be bitumen or tarpaper as well.

On two sides, the roof slates overhang the canopy, so you wouldn't necessarily need flashing, but the left side as you look at it would need some sort of flashing to protect the join from the main building wall.

Al.

Like this very rough sketch?

rough.JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yep exactly.

I would expect the flashing from wall to slates would be lead - it's just what was used invariably - and therefore it would make sense to continue with lead across the canopy area as well.

Al.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Don't you think Plastikard is too thick? I use 100 g/m2 paper. Put in place and brush on solvent.

yes it is too thick, I was just testing the principle with a bit of scrap

Id not considered using paper, good idea, thank you 

• RMweb Premium

Another alternative is to use the self adhesive "lead" foil that is sold by angling shops for weighting flies. It can be moulded into the stonework and slates and when toned down does look very Lead like. 

This sort of thing;

https://www.fishingmegastore.com/fly-tying-materials/-adhesive-lead-foil~4106.html

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m going about it all wrong, the flashing doesn’t go on top of the tiles, it needs to be more like this...

It looks like there may be different opinions. I think your photo is a bit deceiving. See this one:

roof-flashing.jpg.91e2e0ee7aee05f257138e92197b5002.jpg

However, there's also this one:

Step-Flashing-on-Brick-300x225.jpg.f473cea75b7edeffd8820cc2b784f337.jpg

Confused now...

Al.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

........Confused now...

Al.

we live in a terraced house and the kitchen has a pitched roof up against the wall and the flashing is under the tiles as is our neighbours

the only place where the flashing is above the tiles is around the chimney

strange how I never thought to look at my own surroundings :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I think it depends on whether the roof is slated or tiled and when it was last renewed. I suspect the flashing is under tiles but over the felt which will be underneath the tiles otherwise it's pointless. As built, slated roofs had no felt underneath so the lead has to go on top. I'm no builder, slater or roofer so am happy to corrected.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

I think it depends on whether the roof is slated or tiled and when it was last renewed. I suspect the flashing is under tiles but over the felt which will be underneath the tiles otherwise it's pointless. As built, slated roofs had no felt underneath so the lead has to go on top. I'm no builder, slater or roofer so am happy to corrected.

I don't think any roofs of that era would have had felt, so the flashing would be over the tiles.

Best option would be to find photos of GW station buildings from the time period modelled.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nick C said:

I don't think any roofs of that era would have had felt, so the flashing would be over the tiles.

Best option would be to find photos of GW station buildings from the time period modelled.

I’ve struggled to find images that are clear enough as most of what I’ve found are either low resolution or have the flashing in shadow

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Looks very convincing to me. What about a longer shot? We rarely get this close to our models.

I won’t glue the valance in place until I’ve finished painting/weathering the walls
9C85412E-8A42-4D09-B5C9-61DB21D22BE7.jpeg.1b853c6e9aade3e2e88029561f00fb43.jpeg

Following on from the comment made by @Nick C about builds of the era not having felt I’m looking at add flashing to the other end too

80EC018A-8FDC-485C-9902-7A6F094B9FA5.jpeg.1f9b2de56feed0cd9afa961579a21d92.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Started to pick out the quoins, lintels and sills in a lighter grey although I suspect once weathered the difference in shade will be unnoticeable unfortunately

B66D171E-09B4-4417-99E7-F14C823C3D4E.jpeg.6051c47915605f993fd1cd2cea79610e.jpeg

As with all my ‘builds’ it’s coming together nicely and as usual very slowly

• Like 7