I don't have any cats at the moment but would like to own a couple in time. I have a plan to call them Chalfont and Latimer, after the sub-surface station in NW London where an ex-gf of mine lived. Fond memories of visiting there.

Corbs - no, I haven't posted details of the loco fleet, mainly because I have an embarrassingly large collection of engines and I realise not all can be justified. I've confessed before to my terrible weakness for "magpie modelling" where I tend to buy anything pretty and shiny that catches my eye. I recently sold off a number of wagons because I collected them early on due to having nice liveries and names but before I'd fixed my location as N Gloucestershire so all the Scottish, Lincolnshire, Cumberland, Lancs & Yorks, Kent and other far flung PO wagons had to go!

I'll try to list them all here however in a day or so, but the fleet is a bit fluid at the moment and much of it is still in its compnent parts in various crates scattered around the works (aka in the kits box)!

Zomboid - you can buy small rabbit models now so Kiki could be in a hutch in a back yard or in a field...

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh yes we are all guilty of Magpie Modelling!

What I mean is the specific locos for the NM&GSR and the Madder Valley lines you are featuring, rather than the ones that belong to other railways 'off scene' so to speak. Like, the Peckett 0-4-0ST but not the LBSC Atlantic.

2 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I don't have any cats at the moment but would like to own a couple in time. I have a plan to call them Chalfont and Latimer, after the sub-surface station in NW London where an ex-gf of mine lived. Fond memories of visiting there.

Corbs - no, I haven't posted details of the loco fleet, mainly because I have an embarrassingly large collection of engines and I realise not all can be justified. I've confessed before to my terrible weakness for "magpie modelling" where I tend to buy anything pretty and shiny that catches my eye. I recently sold off a number of wagons because I collected them early on due to having nice liveries and names but before I'd fixed my location as N Gloucestershire so all the Scottish, Lincolnshire, Cumberland, Lancs & Yorks, Kent and other far flung PO wagons had to go!

I'll try to list them all here however in a day or so, but the fleet is a bit fluid at the moment and much of it is still in its compnent parts in various crates scattered around the works (aka in the kits box)!

Zomboid - you can buy small rabbit models now so Kiki could be in a hutch in a back yard or in a field...

I noticed you posted an image of an IoW tank a few pages back. I’m sure you wouldn’t be in a hurry to get rid of it anyway, but just in case you worry it’s too regionally inappropriate, a very similar design was used by the MSWJR relatively near to Gloucestershire (I’d have to check my reference materials, they probably rarely if ever featured at the Cheltenham end of the route). Indeed at least one was sold on to the IWCR, so could form a very plausible second hand locomotive based in the Forest with a fresh lick of paint...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Zomboid said:

I've been trying to think of a way to reference my pet rabbit on my layout, but every idea I've had is pretty rubbish. She's called Kiki, named after the Studio Ghibli film "Kiki's delivery service". Hard to think how to use that in 1950s Louisiana, though.

I like the locos named after the cats though. They are good names for those peculiar machines.

I thought that Kiki was a frog:

https://nostalgiacentral.com/television/tv-by-decade/tv-shows-1960s/hectors-house/

A remarkable family resemblance to Kermit I think.

I think you can worry too much about what names you want to bestow upon minor and industrial railway locomotives, and even those of major companies come to that, because the real ones were named after all sorts of animals, vegetables and minerals, except on the LNWR, which had some sort of mechanical random word generating engine, similar in function to a 'fruit machine', at Crewe, especially for the purpose.

One of my favourites for obscurity is 'LADAS', of the Snowdon Mountain Railway, named after Laura Alice Duff-Asheton-Smith. The name was also used for a racehorse, after which the LNER named a loco, but the horse was named after an Ancient Greek chap, rather than Mrs D-A-S, IIRC. So, 'KIKI' might be Katherine Irene Kingsthorpe-Ingoldsby, second cousin of the company accountant, for all we know.

The first live steam 16mm/ft loco I had I named 'PRIMUS', slightly because it was the first, but more because it reminded me of a camping stove.

• Like 3

It's hard to define what my locomotive roster will be when I can't stop buying them!

This little beauty just purchased on e-Bay. Its an old whitemetal kit, probably Gem, and weighs a ton but is extremely well made with excellent pick-ups, motor and a lovely big brass flywheel in the cab so it runs really smoothly. Some TLC is needed to repair a few missing details and replace the "school globe" handrail knobs but its a nice model of a prototype I've wanted for a long while.

Dsc03090.jpg.1466279afec2e101d8f297fb8c5b039e.jpg

Dsc03091.jpg.d87f27a3d1f0864f003cc8049d7c2eec.jpg

Test run:

Edited by Martin S-C
edited to correct probable kit source from Keyser to Gem.
  • Like 8

I really, really, ought to ban myself from e-Bay... *sigh*

Won these on auction early this week. The NM&GSR engineers ballast train is almost ready to enter service. I have a kit built brass GWR tool/stores van as well that needs a little fettling to get it into running order and a couple of crane wagon kits in the to-do box. I can cobble a suitably cranky old crew coach together from something in the spares-and-repairs box. The ballast brake cost me about the same as the Cambrian 2-4-0T but I think it was worth the price, a brass D&S kit, its been superbly constructed. The bigger wagon is the Ratio model and the shorter wheelbase one either Slaters or Coopercraft. The fact they are nicely painted in a dusty red-bauxite has led me to decide to use this colour for departmental vehicles as I see little point in repainting them. I'm presently removing the transfers and will add a set of NMGS Engineers markings in due course.

Dsc03063.jpg.53949f0f5b0517b14bb372c561889329.jpg

• Like 8

On 13/02/2019 at 16:57, mpeffers said:

I noticed you posted an image of an IoW tank a few pages back. I’m sure you wouldn’t be in a hurry to get rid of it anyway, but just in case you worry it’s too regionally inappropriate, a very similar design was used by the MSWJR relatively near to Gloucestershire (I’d have to check my reference materials, they probably rarely if ever featured at the Cheltenham end of the route). Indeed at least one was sold on to the IWCR, so could form a very plausible second hand locomotive based in the Forest with a fresh lick of paint...

The IoW 2-4-0 tank built by Beyer Peacock was a moderately successful design so I understand and was used in a broadly similar form by a number of companies so this is one locomotive I very much wanted to have a model of. Its one of the easier types to justify, I think, in a freelance setting.

The Cambrian 2-4-0 tank was also by Beyer Peacock and the same argument can be applied there - different cabs, safety valves and other fittings but under the skin essentially the same design. I want to have a go at "de-GWR-izing" it as much as I can so that it has more of the appearance of a different engine. Probably the top feed will go and some alternative safety valves will be fitted and whatever else my skills will allow. Its pretty small inside so the first job will be seeing if it will take a decoder and speaker.

I am trying to focus on models of locos built by the prominent private works such as Dubs, Sharp Stewart, Beyer, Hudswell Clarke and so on but there are some lovely company locomotives one simply has to own a model of and this is where my freelancing becomes a good deal freer than others. I have to invent a flimsy story to allow a well-known GW, MR or SECR design to run on my layout and while it can be viewed as laziness I often turn back to the layout that's inspiring me and consider how that person approached the issue. Of course in the 1930s through to the 1950s there was a good deal less choice of models - both from the box and kits - and even materials to scratchbuild with were more limited so if John Ahern were alive today I wonder what kind of models would he be running on his layout today. I am probably way off the mark in gathering such an eclectic hoard and while I don't like relying on Rule #1 often it is being deployed a fair bit.

I purchased this lovely little 3D printed kit this past week from the very talented Mr Turbosnail of this parish merely because it is so cute and unusual. A Neilson & Co 2-2-2WT of the mid 1860s freelanced from Irish broad to 16.5mm gauge.

DSCN8270.JPG.9d1176ddfc103f58ad0006d2f9675ffc.JPG

994613436_NeilsonCo2-2-2of1862.jpg.154d26d556526016c176f68c752ae64b.jpg

Image12.jpg.a5eb7db5bdf44dee91478a48bfc307ca.jpg

With humble apologies to Mr E. D. Wardian for reusing his photo of his own freshly unpacked model.

The painted model and photo is by Tom (Turbosnail).

Edited by Martin S-C
EDIT: Added pic of Tom's assembled model.
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A number of the old railway companies did have a 'sales' siding where aging, but still useful engines might be purchased by an intrepid little minor railway company.  Terriers are of course a classic example of this, but I'm sure there were more besides.

And I do like that little Neilson 2-2-2 tank engine.  

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

The Highland used Culloden sidings.

https://www.ambaile.org.uk/detail/en/24803/1/EN24803-five-hr-locos-waiting-to-be-scrapped.htm

https://www.ambaile.org.uk/?service=asset&action=show_zoom_window_popup&language=en&asset=24555&location=grid&asset_list=24547,24550,24555,24563,24604,24618,24630,24597,24625,24626,24619,24601,24605,24537,24542,24518,24519,24520,24521,24522,24523,24524,24525,24529,24530,24531,24532,24533,24534,24535,24539,24540,24541,24543,24544,24548,24549,24551,24552,24553,24554,24556,24557,24558,24559,24560,24561,24562,24564,24566&basket_item_id=undefined

A fair old collection of scrap iron was assembled here.

What your P-way train needs is a crane. something like: https://www.ambaile.org.uk/?service=asset&action=show_zoom_window_popup&language=en&asset=28726&location=grid&asset_list=28761,28677,28678,28679,28726,28764,28765,28766&basket_item_id=undefined

Note that the jib on this one is fixed, but they could have the wires undone to allow journey to site.

The HR had one on a 6 wheeled outside w iron chassis but I can't find a picture yet.....

Andy G

Edit: still can't find one, but it was like this one but with outside w irons: http://www.victorianweb.org/technology/railways/iow/7.html

The Mikes models MR yard crane would mount up and look right on a flat wagon....

Edited by uax6
  • Informative/Useful 2

I have the ABS models GWR 1.5t travelling crane kit to build, though possibly that's the sort of thing that would be moved to out-of-the-way rural goods yards to unload unusual loads where no yard crane was installed. I also have a kit of a 6t crane wagon somewhere but don't seem to have a photo of it. I think its a Mike's Models one. That is probably more like the kind of equipment an engineers train might have since it could put its feet down and lift overturned carriages, etc.

Mind you a lot of recovery of derailments on these lesser railways was done just by very slow and careful jacking up and packing with sleepers etc. On a single track without crane access from another line that would be the only solution.

I've added a pic of my GW stores/tool van as well. Its a bit careworn but nothing that can't be spruced up with a bit of TLC.

GW_1.5T_travelling_crane.jpg.acebffb4b79adea4806dadbca02eff54.jpg

GW_10T_Iron_Windows.jpg.941c5e0fa624531caa12e1805fd2db91.jpg

Thanks for those links Andy - they are great inspiration.

A lot of locos were scrapped in 1923-1924 due to excess numbers at the grouping which sadly is too late for me. With a layout set in 1919 however I could just about justify locos that were worn out in heavy service during the war and sold on for that reason. My universe is a parallel one and in my timeline I can invent an arrangement whereby a government scheme is established to assist the tired out railways by offering basic values for very worn equipment with a third party buyer paying a nominal balance. The deal would involve the new owner paying for repair work at the previous owners workshops which would have a double benefit of maintaining old worn equipment fairly cheaply and providing a lot of work for all the demobbed labour coming home from the war.

*ruminates a few moments*

Yes, I like that explanation. I'll set it out in my canon!

Edited by Martin S-C
EDIT: Added section about foreign loco purchase logic.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Quite a few of these hand cranes had timber legs that were attached to the end of the jib, which when put on the ground acted as sheer-legs, which allowed them to be used for lifting wagons. But even a small hand crane could lift lengths of rail and three or four sleepers at a time, and the odd small bridge girder.

Andy G

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

As my layout comprises several small companies, the 1.5t crane can belong to one of the lesser ones and my bigger 6-tonner will be stabled at the main works. I like the idea of taking a crane to a halt out on the branch that lacks a yard crane and using it to lift an unusual load out of a wagon and onto a horse drawn vehicle - a piece of farm machinery perhaps - a small crane might see more journeys for that purpose than it would attending mishaps.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Martin,

The modelling room looks absolutely superb, as do the baseboards. Really glad to see things progressing and moving forward. This is going to be an absolutely fantastic project and I am really enjoying following what to see doing. 

Loving the work you are doing on the stock too. Excellent modelling! 

Continue posting and keep us all up to date.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With regards to WELR brake van No6, I feel this does not offer proper weather protection for the guard, is it Wilf?   Unite in the campaign for better working conditions for railway staff and modern brake vans with roofed-over verandas. Or perhaps there is no weather in the desert of white paper where the train is seen.

Fantastic progress and well planned.

• Funny 1

14 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Lovely bit of joinery Martin.

12 hours ago, south_tyne said:

The modelling room looks absolutely superb, as do the baseboards.

7 hours ago, sjrixon said:

That woodwork looks spectacular, I'm looking forward to seeing this develop further. 

Thank you all for the kind comments. Neil from the LLC is a member here so I hope he'll be delighted with the positive remarks about the timber work. His father-in-law, Alan, is the baseboard wizard and he's enduring a course of chemotherapy while still working on various carpentry projects so I'm extremely grateful that he feels happy to carry on working during such a difficult time. His woodwork really is excellent, very clean and crisp... unlike mine which tends to be grubby and wonky!

4 hours ago, relaxinghobby said:

With regards to WELR brake van No6, I feel this does not offer proper weather protection for the guard, is it Wilf? Unite in the campaign for better working conditions for railway staff and modern brake vans with roofed-over verandas. Or perhaps there is no weather in the desert of white paper where the train is seen.

The WELR isn't an affluent company, as will be seen when you clap your eyes on their coaching stock. They only own one goods brake van and it was a second hand purchase from the GWR. Enquiries were made about fitting roofs and support pillars to the verandahs but the GW's invoice was 18/6d per end so the directors declined. Messrs Peckmans of Ryehope (outfitters to the gentry, officers military clothing a speciality) offered an overcoat for the guard at 5/3d so one of those was bought instead, and even that expenditure was only secured after a three hour board meeting.

Wilf is the engine. He really ought to stay within the confines of the colliery. The WELR goods guard is Mr Ernest Wobham, a resident of Snarling. Which reminds me I need to paint him!

Many of my wagons are e-Bay buys. Some I am lucky on and secure cheaply, others turn out less cheap due to competition :( . The brass kit SECR CCT was a bit pricey but they rarely come along. The W-irons/axle assemblies were slotted to take P4/EM wheels and the flanges of the 00 wheels it came fitted with fouled the inner edges of the slots meaning it wouldn't run at all. I had to spend a while with a file working out the openings quite a bit but fortunately this is the kind of messing about I enjoy. Despite being passenger rated and vacuum braked it has a handbrake lever and brake gear on one side only. Apparently prior to these vans being taken into SR ownership this is correct. The LNWR beer van is a curious thing, a scratch built body on a brass chassis. It looks ancient, like a child of the 70s, or even the 60s. It was thickly coated in some kind of heavy woodworking varnish which had gone yellow so needed a bit of TLC, delicate scraping out of the corners with a scalpel blade . Even with some weathering on top the photo reveals a bit of yellow varnish in the corners. Removing most of it led to some damage to the lettering but I left that as it was, since I like the battered faded look. The van has that old school look that the Madder Valley rolling stock has and which I like so its perfect for this project. Both wagons have compensated chassis.

Tuesday will be a big day, Neil is returning to install the lifting flap and begin work on the risers and station/yard boards so by close of play I should have something more layout-like.

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Dsc03140.jpg

I thought that LNWR beer van had a wonderful old school modelling look to it Martin.  It certainly immediately caught my eye the moment I started reading your post.  Always good when older models are kept and cherished.  I have various wooden pre-war 'O' wagons that are 'keepers' and I'll never part with.

I like what you did with the ploughing engine and it certainly looks much better now and much more plausible as a wagon load on a hard working little railway.

With all the baseboard frames in place your model railway room is really looking quite something.  Brilliant stuff Martin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1