Layout room colour preference

• RMweb Premium

If you are lucky enough to have a room for your layout to live in, do you have a preference for the colour of the walls? (if so what is your preference?)

• RMweb Premium

Cream - a bit warmer than white. Makes for a pleasant place to work in.

That's an interesting angle Tim. One of my reasons for choosing white is that it (usually) gives a better colour balance for the relatively unsophisticated camera I use to take photos of my layout. It helps compensate for the feebleness of artificial light when compared to the sun.

Pale blue for the walls. It's approximately "sky blue" but of course the real sky is not always the same colour. On the floor I have some rugged non-fluffy variegated green carpet.

The overall feeling is more like the real world in miniature and less like an engineering lab!

white - the builder made it that colour and i never thought about it until now... :-).  Please let the consensus be white as i'm not sure i can be bothered repainting it - especially given the ceiling height in some parts...  i fear that if the consensus says otherwise i will forever be feeling that it is wrong.

M

Very pale blue, rather than classic ‘sky’ blue, almost white.

Makes the walls ‘disappear’, they don’t seem to be there, presumably because it is close to natural sky colour.

Another option might be a very, very pale grey ...... Matt light admiralty would probably be best, having a blue caste, but I bet Duluth don’t sells tins of paint under the name ‘light admiralty grey’.

post-26817-0-32996900-1534450852_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

I had to go and look... yeah, light cream, cos I’m eighty and we’ve always painted everything light cream all the time, but it’s starting to show smudges and knocks and if SWMBO starts taking an interest I’ll have to paint it again, so quick let’s go to another thread...

• Like 2

Another "sky blue" here, however it's in my shed which is the layout space.  Means I don't need to fuss about with backscenes which is good as I'm building to the modular standards which prefers boards to be visible from both sides and useable either way round.

A pale sky blue with daylight spectrum lamps, this way the light upon your layout will not be yellowed from either the direct lamps or any reflected light, this will allow detail to shew up better. White paint will reflect a too great section of the red and yellow light causing a false dullness to appear, a bit like turning the light on in the evening and it seeming to get darker.

Nearhomer's shade shewn above is what you need.

Edit; I have remembered the paint shade I used, it was Farrow and Ball's Borrowed Light although being a cheapskate I had it mixed using the paint code at a Johnstone's outlet.

Edited by Gibbo675

Mine is in the master bedroom. I sleep in one of the smaller ones.

Pale grey for the walls & ceiling. Blue often tends to be too blue.

I also replaced the standard bedroom lighting with a double fluorescent fitting then replaced the tubes with daylight ones. It is nice & bright in there with the correct colour temperature.

Mine's a bit different. The layout has a high backscene, which is essentially white. It has self contained lighting. I wanted the room to focus attention on the layout. The layout is "L" shaped. The long wall behind the layout is white. The end walls of the room are pale grey. The remaining long wall of the room is a dark blue grey. The floor is a laminate, almost white. There is a central light and wall lights in the room, but the layout is designed to be viewed with the main lights off,so attention is focused on the layout, not the room.

Alex