4 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Much better quality than the Dapol ones in my experience.  The modern plastic is very poor.

Ah yes, Mr Fleming and Mr Roberts had both warned me beforehand. Bought each for £5.99 which didn't seem bad! They include the original transfers still.....a bit yellow mind!

I've just had a look at the contents of the box. Mine is dated 1975, and I'm amazed at the quality! The ends and sides are so crisply moulded and slot together like a hand in a glove!

Loco coal was unloaded by hand at Bala, using the 16Ts door in the open position for the process. I'll be modelling my first airfix (when I get around to it) like this.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

Is the Airfix kit accurate? Or will you mixing and matching with other elements - a different underframe for example?

As far as I'm aware, the wheelbase is correct. It comes with two sets of Brake Gear, when it should only come with one (not a bad thing) and doesn't have a morton clutch, but as Ian Fleming discusses in his November 2001 BRM article, it is easy enough to fabricate a clutch with 30 and 10 thou micro rod.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

29 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

Is the Airfix kit accurate? Or will you mixing and matching with other elements - a different underframe for example?

In the fundamentals, yes. The sides are a bit thick, perhaps but in all external dimensions it's correct to scale (the same's true of all those BR-prototype Airfix wagon kits - the working hinges are necessarily a bit crude, but they're the basis of many, many good models).

Adam

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Martin S-C said:

Hi Tom. I thought I'd drop by here and say hello. Watching your layout build with much interest as you know from FaceBook.

Cheers Martin!

I'll post photos tonight of the two opens I've been working on ;)

53 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

I always think the axleboxes are a bit over scale and chunky and the brake lever is best replaced with an etched one.

Tony

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely job on those wagons, Tom. Just right methinks. 

Rob 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, 9793 said:

Further research recently, has shown the interesting rolling stock which delivered loco coal to Bala shed. Yes 16Ts, and 13T wooden mineral wagons were used, however it seems from recent photos, including this excellent example from our very own PGH, that standard open wagons were being used for loco coal.  I've several photos in my collection showing BR steel highs also being used!

These wagons have no “top plank” as was found on most wagons dedicated to coal traffic (and the 16T minerals had a strengthening piece above the side door if they had a top flat, and a solid side above it if not).

Shovelling coal upwards into the bunker is a lot easier with a “standard” open wagon as there is no top plank in the way of getting a good swing, allowing the coal to be thrown from the spade into the bunker: it would not take long to get the hang of this - and it requires less precision than putting coal into the firebox.

Coal wagons are fine where loco coal is delivered to a stage, bunker or similar.

Edited by Regularity
“Lick goalies” changed to “loco coal is”
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

And here's another concept you're going to have to run by me one more time, please Simon.

Autocorrect does strange things at times!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

About to gig in Ripon! Monteverdi Vespers! Before I left this afternoon I have done some work post dating an LNER open to late 50s condition, like the one from this screenshot from Railway Roundabout.

C252FDB4-7216-4DD1-B8BA-67290C62CBAA.jpeg.c1ff90ef98279b04aef7e9aa846f5998.jpeg

37535A80-CAD8-488E-8B29-134E75A43686.jpeg.d4f7dcee911220569efc7030d0f7b454.jpeg

More work on plank repainting this week hopefully!

Edited by 9793
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Regularity said:

These wagons have no “top plank” as was found on most wagons dedicated to coal traffic (and the 16T minerals had a strengthening piece above the side door if they had a top flat, and a solid side above it if not).

Shovelling coal upwards into the bunker is a lot easier with a “standard” open wagon as there is no top plank in the way of getting a good swing, allowing the coal to be thrown from the spade into the bunker: it would not take long to get the hang of this - and it requires less precision than putting coal into the firebox.

Coal wagons are fine where loco coal is delivered to a stage, bunker or similar.

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

And here's another concept you're going to have to run by me one more time, please Simon.

I'd rather lick the goalies, but I've been watching ladies' football over the part this avo...

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 9793 said:

About to gig in Ripon! Monteverdi Vespers! Before I left this afternoon I have done some work post dating an LNER open to late 50s condition, like the one from this screenshot from Railway Roundabout.

C252FDB4-7216-4DD1-B8BA-67290C62CBAA.jpeg.c1ff90ef98279b04aef7e9aa846f5998.jpeg

More work on plank repainting this week hopefully!

Some top footage of the Cromford and High Peak line there!

12 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Some top footage of the Cromford and High Peak line there!

Isn’t it just! For anyone with an interest in wagons and how they looked in the late 50s and early 60s need look no further! :)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I rather like the look of the Kitson tank!

Now now CK! Let’s stick to our own funny looking tank engines!!! :lol:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 9793 said:

Now now CK! Let’s stick to our own funny looking tank engines!!! :lol:

Too late for me, I fear! I'm thinking of my other on-going layout project, 'Callow Lane', which has (shock horror!) Midland locos freely mixing with GW types. Whatever next? Diesels? Well, yes, those as well!

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1

The new Larkin 'Acquired wagons' book is a fascinating insight into pre BR steel mineral wagons. Probably not for me (that is, more accurately, my chosen location) but in any location when there would be, say GWR & LNER inter mixing then potentially even more variety to model.

Continued work on loco coal wagons. In this case, the Cambrian Models ex LNER 6 Plank Open I posted photos of on Saturday.

DSC05568.jpg.5e3e2a12e7780009da5fc5cc5e9adb4d.jpg

DSC05560.jpg.780c1cfa890b5c06e4ef6906d0218c54.jpg

Here we see her alongside the ex Bachmann PO and another 6 plank ex LNER (this of ABS vintage).

DSC05570.jpg.05f8a9ef4d32f135037a0ca4188224fa.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4