1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Oh, no! Not the sound of hundreds of cooing pigeons to accompany the noise of diesels ticking over on adjacent layouts at exhibitions?

Dave

I know which one I’d prefer...

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Evening Richard,

That chimney is looking superb, can't wait to see it painted - I presume its not a solo model, so something else to be constructed alongside it?

Hmm now this could get good ... I am waiting to see either a) a flying pigeon modelled in your usual detail .. or b) a Paul Chetter DCC sound chip within the baskets with pigeon noises!!! :)  Actually, that's just given me an idea hehehe!  I wonder if we could hide a speaker within one?

Rich

Yes, the chimney is part of a larger project - more to follow in due course.

As far as pigeon noises go, I’ll leave that to you! 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/01/2020 at 16:20, Tricky said:

And for my next trick....

...pigeon baskets!

53E01EA7-048F-4E8E-96C9-AF306E6C6B87.jpeg.a6dc8dbdf69ad742c5b455ad20ee3e47.jpeg

Judging by some photos I’ve seen of pigeon racing trains, I need to make about another 94...!!!!

Now there was a noted 2 mm finescale modeller enquiring about racing pigeon traffic not so long ago...

@queensquare.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve decided today to pack ‘Midland in Birmingham’ away as it’s in the way. I need the space for commissions and it’s too depressing to look at in its unfinished state. I only use the dock area to photograph stuff for my website and Instagram and so it is now in storage. Or at least shoved under my long bench for now.

However, on a more positive note, as I need somewhere (smaller) to use as a photo plank, I’ve decided to make a photo plank! Ha ha! So I’ve dug out of my expanding scraps box a likely selection of old scenic bits from ‘Birmingham’. You may even recognise some of them. I shall attempt to make a small scene of them - upcycling don’t you know...

This is what I have to play with. I shall also have a further play with painting a suitable backscene. I’ve started one for Tewks but it’s not ready to be unveiled yet. Hopefully this little project will be little enough for me to actually find the time to finish! Watch this space! 

708D8EA6-852B-4821-A924-61BF0B795B73.jpeg

• Like 9

A welcome hint of spring in the air today and a creative spurt! 

I’ve painted the sky back-board for my photo plank and even got round to having a go at positioning some artefacts! Most of the sky will end up being hidden but I will know it’s there!

79D99AF1-F1EB-45A4-A86F-10F9A11B337A.jpeg.bc4f15ab313cb51c7d3a4dbf1bccb8c1.jpegC38A005D-E4CB-4A9B-9A02-6635D2253A3B.jpeg.c3ca95fecd619cd046639d010f8c0bcf.jpeg

Not sure how it will end up looking...we shall see! 

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Not much happening on my photo plank but progress on a 6’ diorama based very loosely on Paddington - this is a low relief hotel that will form part of a row of similar low relief buildings, including a very ornate Parcels Office. 

Splendid isolation....F06130F9-EE3F-4193-94D5-3DC5CF64E4ED.jpeg.cd90cceb9fb884d9e9eb81c52a22be63.jpeg

Just needs a door....

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

9 hours ago, Fastdax said:

Very neat Richard. Are the decorative window cappings 3D printed?

No, I made them myself. The surrounds with pediments are each made up of 13 separate components - mostly two thicknesses of laser ply.

In fact there’s nothing ‘bought’ on it at all.

Keep calm and build model railways! 

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tricky said:

No, I made them myself.

I'd just like to observe that the words "they're 3D printed" are not incompatible with the words "I made the myself". All techniques are grist to the mill, surely?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I'd just like to observe that the words "they're 3D printed" are not incompatible with the words "I made the myself". All techniques are grist to the mill, surely?

No, I agree. I was differentiating between a commercially available 3D printed item and one I had made from scratch. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Tricky said:

No, I agree. I was differentiating between a commercially available 3D printed item and one I had made from scratch. 

Making a single 3D item from scratch can involve as much work as building it from real, separate pieces. It took me a long time to get the window cappings and sills right on this, my tribute to Richard's stone office/store building on "Midland in Bristol":

2018-09-07_001.JPG.b25c6af09b1abd324c656a288d00c7c9.JPG

The advantage of 3D printing is that you can then run off as many copies as you want. I still have a few left over. Hmmm - I wonder what I could use them for?

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

33 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I like the marbled columns. I have a friend who had a great-uncle or some such who was a marbler. Did you use a scaled-down version of the full-size technique?

Sort of - I had a google image of a real marble column in front of me and used a fine point white blendable watercolour pencil, over a brown humbrol base coat, along with a little brown and grey pencil to detail. And finished off with a coat of satin varnish. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

5 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Good  grief Richard, that's superb. How did you make......, well, just about all of it!! In particular the columns with the mouldings top and bottom and the railings.

Dave

Thank you Dave! You’re too kind. 

The columns are white metal castings and I got the railings etched from my artwork. The rest is mostly ply and mdf, making heavy use of my laser. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi all, just ‘signing in’ and saying hello! 

As we tentatively ease out of Lockdown, I hope it will encourage more modelling to commence again, certainly as raw materials hopefully become a bit easier to get hold of and public confidence restores. 

Fortunately I’ve had enough to keep me going but have some capacity now for a new project or two. I am extremely grateful to my existing customer base and thoroughly enjoy working on commissions big and small. 

So if you are teetering on the edge of starting something (7mm and above) or struggling to finish it, or just need help with one or two ‘signature’ buildings for instance,  then get in touch and I’ll be only too glad to assist. 

Previous commissions include:

Baseboards and track build

Station Diorama build from scratch

Individual buildings

Museum display diorama

Innumerable packing crates, wicker baskets, barrels etc for goods wagon loads, timber loads, cotton bales, telegraph poles etc etc. 

All to the highest possible standard.

All the best,

Richard 

• Like 4

On 29/05/2020 at 18:16, Tricky said:

Hi all, just ‘signing in’ and saying hello! 

As we tentatively ease out of Lockdown, I hope it will encourage more modelling to commence again, certainly as raw materials hopefully become a bit easier to get hold of and public confidence restores. 

Fortunately I’ve had enough to keep me going but have some capacity now for a new project or two. I am extremely grateful to my existing customer base and thoroughly enjoy working on commissions big and small. 

So if you are teetering on the edge of starting something (7mm and above) or struggling to finish it, or just need help with one or two ‘signature’ buildings for instance,  then get in touch and I’ll be only too glad to assist. 

Previous commissions include:

Baseboards and track build

Station Diorama build from scratch

Individual buildings

Museum display diorama

Innumerable packing crates, wicker baskets, barrels etc for goods wagon loads, timber loads, cotton bales, telegraph poles etc etc. 

All to the highest possible standard.

All the best,

Richard 

Richard's work speaks for itself but I would be happy to discuss my experience of commissioning a project from him, if anyone wants to send me a private message.  I have no connection with Richard other than as a very satisfied customer for a range of work.

• Thanks 1