Class 31 Detail Differences (Headcode Box Fitted)

HullCityB17

I have recently purchased an O Gauge Sound Chipped Heljan BR Blue Class 31 which is not numbered and has the headcode box with train reporting codes, which I have been told it maybe a Class 31/4?

I would like to be able to confirm this before choosing a prototype to base it on as I don't want to assume it is a 31/4 when it could be a 31/0 or 31/1.

Apart from the class 31's which had the rounded cab roof, and the rest have the headcode box blanked off with dominos is there any other way of telling a Class 31/0, 31/1 or 31/4 apart? Oh and I forgot to add that some got modified with the High Intensity Headlights.

I am guessing the one model cannot be used for all three types of class 31? This will make a difference when choosing a 31/1 or 31/4 and whether I keep it BR Blue or change the livery.

The era I hoping to model is 80's to early 90's.

Any help with links to pictures will be most helpful. When looking online I could not see any other obvious differences but then that could just be my age!

TIA

John

Edited by HullCityB17

So were all the 31/0's the rounded version (Skin head version) like the one at the NRM York?

If I make sure that I used the PH Designs conversion kit and get hold of some ETH cables if I plan to do the class 31/4 then I should have a more accurate model?

All 31/0 were skinheads when built, 5518 was rebuilt as a 31/1 after suffering accident damage and received headcode boxes,

The early 31/1s were a mix depending on what was available at the time,

All the later 31/1s had headcode boxes, 

All the early 31/4 conversions (except 31418) were headcode box fitted,

The later 31/4 conversions were also a bit mixed with a couple having disc fronts (discs removed) plus the application of a headlight on the front in various locations on the front, some centrally mounted, others on the drivers side,

A photo with a confirmed ID is the only way to be sure especially for the early 31/1s and later 31/4 conversions.

• RMweb Gold

Any 31/1 from 31145 to 31327 had the headcode boxes, between 31114 and 31144 it could be either type, and below 31113 were always the 'skinhead' type. Probably best to avoid 31243 to 248 as these had door recesses for tablet exchange equipment, and 31292* had extra grills from when it had a higher powered engine fitted.

There were some refurbishments done from late 1980s with gangway doors plated and the lining strips removed, and the railfreight livery started to come in. The 31/4 conversions numbered above 31425 came in from 1984/5, but I think without headlights to start with.

Edit: * it was actually 31302, see note below..

Edited by stovepipe
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Any 31/1 from 31145 to 31327 had the headcode boxes, between 31114 and 31144 it could be either type, and below 31113 were always the 'skinhead' type. Probably best to avoid 31242 to 247 as these had door dresses for tablet exchange equipment, and 31292 had extra grills from when it had a higher powered engine fitted.

There were some refurbishments done from late 1980s with gangway doors plated and the lining strips removed, and the railfreight livery started to come in. The 31/4 conversions numbered above 31425 came in from 1984/5, but i think without headlights to start with.

Hi Stiovepipe

Do you mean 31 302 (D5835)

• Informative/Useful 1

Guest teacupteacup

The HJ 31 represents an unrefurbished loco, ie bodyside and cab front waist banding, and cowled bufferbeams - I may be wrong but I dont think any unrefurbished 31's received any livery after BR Blue (specials aside)

Any 31/1 from 31145 to 31327 had the headcode boxes, between 31114 and 31144 it could be either type, and below 31113 were always the 'skinhead' type. Probably best to avoid 31243 to 248 as these had door recesses for tablet exchange equipment, and 31292* had extra grills from when it had a higher powered engine fitted.

There were some refurbishments done from late 1980s with gangway doors plated and the lining strips removed, and the railfreight livery started to come in. The 31/4 conversions numbered above 31425 came in from 1984/5, but I think without headlights to start with.

Edit: * it was actually 31302, see note below..

Is the erroneous reference to "292" a not to 37292 that had a higher power engine fitted? (Apologies for diverting onto 37s...)

• RMweb Premium

All 31/0 were skinheads when built, 5518 was rebuilt as a 31/1 after suffering accident damage and received headcode boxes,

Was 5518 rewired then?

Just wondering, as 31/0s were red spot for multiple working, as opposed to blue star for the rest.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Was 5518 rewired then?

Just wondering, as 31/0s were red spot for multiple working, as opposed to blue star for the rest.

Dave

Hi Dave

It had a full rebuild after its crash. For a few years after being rebuilt it was Stratford's prize loco often used on the royal train and like the D16, B2 and Britannia used on such duties it had a white roof, not a grey one. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Was 5518 rewired then?

Dave

It was fully rewired as no2 cab became part of the control cubicle when it had it little bump.

The HJ 31 represents an unrefurbished loco, ie bodyside and cab front waist banding, and cowled bufferbeams - I may be wrong but I dont think any unrefurbished 31's received any livery after BR Blue (specials aside)

I don't know why I was told mine model was a Class 31/4 then? I have found the HJ paperwork which came with the model which even confirms this

Maybe I was secretly hoping it was a 31/4 so I could do 31405 or 31454 - one of the Intercity or Intercity Mainline liveried examples.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Reviving an old topic, there also seems to be a difference in the 4 large bodyside grilles (no. 1 end, the cooler group end? Some seem to have had two separate rows of grilles, a pair above the waist line, and a pair below. Other seem to have 1 single large grille running across the waistline, and one above & 1 below the waist line next to it. Can anyone explain whay that was, and which locos it applied to?

Cheers N

There were modifications carried out to certain members of the 31/1 and 31/4, initially by Immingham depot, to aid cooling and trying to get the roof fan to drawn in more air through the radiators. There was also a modification  carried out previously on ETH (later 31/4's) examples at Finsbury Park where a raised cowl was fitted around the fan housing to try and get the air to draw. 

The grilles that were modified were the second bank adjacent to the fan and radiators and were vertical slats which extended up include the whole aperture. This initially was an Immingham only modification which Doncaster works didn't initially adopt but eventually approved in order to keep the 31's cool. From what I can remember overheating occurred mainly when running 'radiators leading'.

31461 Crewe 4-4-91 Slide 3693.jpg

31166 Rugby 16-4-91 Slide 3363.jpg

31174 Bescot 8-9-91 Slide 3371.jpg

31205 Kingsbury 4-7-91 Slide 3409.jpg

31466 Bescot 15-5-92 Slide 5452.jpg

31467 Rugby October 1998.jpg

Edited by BrushVeteran
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'll see if I can compile a list,,,,,,,,,,,,,based on photographs. Some received the mods both sides and others just one side.

Apparently initially Doncaster Works used to convert the locos back to original condition if one appeared in the works with the, then 'unauthorised'. modification.

The cooling radiators were more or less what they were built with for 1365hp Mirrlees engines and now they have more powerful 1470hp EE units. I can't recall them overheating with the original Mirrlees power units,

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 23/09/2018 at 20:07, jbqfc said:

the odd one out is 31215 with a head code box at one end only

6357838101_ffcc1e03a0_b.jpg31215 by john brace, on Flickr

I've resurrected this thread because I have picked up a modified Airfix class 31 depicting this loco as 5639 in BR blue with centre double arrow logo. From what I can ascertain, it still had two headcode boxes as D5639 but hopefully someone can confirm when exactly it gained the 'odd' cab. Also, it appears that the roof is missing the grille that 'skinhead' 31s normally have. Any info appreciated!