Lincoln & District MRC Annual Exhibition

Webbo

We are again using the Lady Eastwood Pavilion, Newark Showground NG24 2NY for our 2019 exhibition. The dates are Saturday 23rd & Sunday 24th February. The venue is easily accessible from the A1, A17, A46 and A617.
There will be a free bus running between the showground and both Newark Northgate and Castle railway stations, check the website for times, www.ladmrc.co.uk
We are having a good variety of layouts of most scales and gauges, traders, demonstrators and societies. Hopefully this one will be as good as all the other exhibitions we have produced.
LAYOUTS.
7mm scale, 0 gauge; Amalgamated Wagon Works.
3.5mm scale, H0m; Bergeller Bahn, Swiss metre gauge.
4mm scale, 00 gauge; Boston Sleeper Works.
2mm scale, N gauge; Blyth.
0N30 scale, Narrow gauge; Karolina Falls.
7mm scale, 0 gauge; Crompton Road Stabling Point.
4mm scale, 00 gauge; Bostcroft.
4mm scale, EM gauge; Canada Street Wharf.
4mm scale, 00 gauge; Drinkallby.
4mm scale, 00 gauge; Coppell.
7mm scale, 0 gauge; Foston Mills.
7mm scale, 0 gauge; Glen Bogle.
2mm scale, N gauge; Heworth Sidings.
2mm scale, N gauge; Kayreuth.
4mm scale, 00 gauge; Victoria Road.
4mm scale, 00 gauge; Newburn.
7mm scale, 0 gauge; Shunters Road.
2mm scale, N gauge; Melton Mowbray North.
0N30 scale, Narrow gauge; Redwood Lumber.
4mm scale, 00 gauge; Victoria Road MPD.
009 scale, Narrow gauge; Lane End.
7mm scale, 0 gaugeAhrtalzneibruck.
4mm scale, 00 gauge; Cottleston.
7mm scale, 0 gauge; Mill Bank Alley.
3.5mm scale, H0 gauge; Bayern Neustadt.
4mm scale, 00 gauge; Middle Muddleton, Thomas.

2mm scale, Buxton TMD.

DEMONSTRATORS.
Peter Brinded; Soldering techniques.
Richard (Dick) Dockerill; 7mm modern image loco building.
John Fownes; Cardboard works.
David Wright, Dovedale Models; Scenic buildings etc.
Roger Garrett; Weathering techniques.
Andrew Baldwin; Scratchbuilding 7mm wagons etc in plastic.
Keith Tiplady, KFT Design; Automatic couplings.

CLUBS & SOCIETIES
Lincoln & District Model Railway Club.
Gauge 0 Guild.
Great Northern Railway Society.
Lincoln Vintage Vehicle society.
Lincolnshire Wolds Railway Society.
Railway Correspondance & Travel Society.

EM Gauge Society

M.E.R.G

TRADERS
A1 Models.
Booklaw.

C&L Finescale.
Caistor Loco.
Country Scenes & Trees.
Elaines Trains.
Electra Railway Graphics.
J & C Model Railways.
Helmsman Model Rail. Unable to attend Dart Castings have taken the place.
Hobby Holidays. Cannot now attend due to illness.
Layouts4U.
Mad About Trains.
Modelmania.
Starlight Models.
Tools 2000.
The Tower Collection Blackpool.
KFT Design.
S.M.Models.

Dart Castings.

Aspire gifts & hobbies, replacing Hobby Holidays

Totem signs.

Edited by Webbo
1 trader ill, replacing with another trader and 1 trader as a late entry.

Whikst it wit would be nice to return to Lincolnshire, my personal memories of the Showground exhibition was, cold,damp and lacking.basics including decent lighting!

Newark whilst out of the county is new, warm, and wonderfully well lit to give access to both layouts and demo's.

Ian

• Like 1

Good to see the show still going ahead, with or without the involvement of some.

I live in hope of it being brought back within the county in future years...

Find a suitable venue then

No need. Wear appropriate seasonal clothing. Expect exhibitors, quite reasonably, to provide their own layouts etc with adequate show lighting. Return to the Lincolnshire showground so that show visitors from the "home" county can get to the show reasonably quickly and conveniently. Job done.

The only "cold" time I remember at one of the shows at the Lincolnshire showground was on a day when a bitterly cold February wind was blowing hard in just the right direction to expose the lack of thorough sealing around the big roller-shutter door at one end of the hall, and even then, seasonally appropriate clothing would have handled the problem.

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 1

No need. Wear appropriate seasonal clothing. Expect exhibitors, quite reasonably, to provide their own layouts etc with adequate show lighting. Return to the Lincolnshire showground so that show visitors from the "home" county can get to the show reasonably quickly and conveniently. Job done.

The only "cold" time I remember at one of the shows at the Lincolnshire showground was on a day when a bitterly cold February wind was blowing hard in just the right direction to expose the lack of thorough sealing around the big roller-shutter door at one end of the hall, and even then, seasonally appropriate clothing would have handled the problem.

Don`t want much do you Newark is 100 times a better venue 

• Like 1

Don`t want much do you Newark is 100 times a better venue

So what is unreasonable about expecting people to simply dress sensibly for the time of year and provide their own exhibit lighting which will be essential at many, many shows? What is also unreasonable about asking for the club that represents the County-town to think about returning its show to a perfectly viable venue that is within the county and reasonably central for all county residents, rather than putting it in the neighbouring county on the wrong side of a regular traffic snarl-up compared to many other towns in the county?

Suggesting that Newark has a venue 100 times better is a gross exaggeration. Well lit, with good level floors and better heated / insulated it may be, but the catering for instance is nothing to shout about and possibly not even as well organised as the basic facilities at the former venue, parking is still on grass and there's more of a problem with access delays and with control of use of the car parking because of other simultaneous events at the same site. Whereas I would attend a county-central show just to support another local club, even if the list of layouts and traders were nothing spectacular, I won't trouble myself to attend at the more distant venue unless something really interesting is on offer. I know of others locally who don't now attend because of the more distant and less accessible location.

So what is unreasonable about expecting people to simply dress sensibly for the time of year and provide their own exhibit lighting which will be essential at many, many shows? What is also unreasonable about asking for the club that represents the County-town to think about returning its show to a perfectly viable venue that is within the county and reasonably central for all county residents, rather than putting it in the neighbouring county on the wrong side of a regular traffic snarl-up compared to many other towns in the county?

I am not familiar with the venues in question, but as a potential paying visitor, your description of the Lincoln venue is the type of place I would not want to visit for an exhibition.

An exhibition needs to be in a nice, comfortable venue or else visitors & exhibitors will not return.

Dressing 'sensibly' for an exhibitor does not include wearing a coat & layouts run less reliably in colder, damper conditions..

I have not described the Lincoln venue as either unreasonably cold or damp, that was the opinion of Nimbamoss. It is simply not the case that we are talking about some freezing cold dungeon with un-insulated earthen floor and foul water trickling down the walls! The venue has a proper floor, albeit concrete like many other well-attended show venues, hosts many other events all year round and was in my view perfectly acceptable unless visitors wore only light summer clothing on one exceptional Winter day when the wind happened to blow in a particular direction. There was no need for exhibitors to wear coats unless they were particularly thin-blooded.

Edited by gr.king

• RMweb Premium

The Engine Shed (Uni) is not suitable? Suppose parking is a problem there?

The Engine Shed probably would work, but there is no natural lighting and it tends to be used for student events Saturday nights, you'd probably have to pay the Uni for parking.

I actually think Newark is a good venue, well served by A1 corridor, A46 & ECML.

Having Exhibited at every Lincoln Show since they 'went large' unfortunately the Newark Showground is a far better venue. Sadly Lincolnshire Showground's hall is showing it's age, dark gloomy and with uneven floors. I was even finding that you got covered in blue paint when you knelt down to connect cables under your layout!

The move to Newark was forced onto the organisers after Lincs Showground effectively forced them to look elsewhere. I suspect therefore that moving back to Lincoln wouldn't be possible. Completely agree that it's a shame the 'Lincoln' show is not held within Lincolnshire but there are very few large venues in the county for events. Much like the lack of motorways and dual carriageways! 

Edited by LNERandBR
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having Exhibited at every Lincoln Show since they 'went large' unfortunately the Newark Showground is a far better venue. Sadly Lincolnshire Showground's hall is showing it's age, dark gloomy and with uneven floors. I was even finding that you got covered in blue paint when you knelt down to connect cables under your layout!

The move to Newark was forced onto the organisers after Lincs Showground effectively forced them to look elsewhere. I suspect therefore that moving back to Lincoln wouldn't be possible. Completely agree that it's a same the 'Lincoln' show is not held within Lincolnshire but there are very few large venues in the county for events. Much like the lack of motorways and dual carriageways! 

I think there is a bl##dy great Aircraft Hanger east of Gainsborough and that is 'near' Lincoln (tongue in cheek). Never been inside so no idea what it's like. No suitable Schools or Colleges in Lincoln and district that might enjoy the income? Lincoln is a great place with great rail links, but most folk visit shows by car. Parking is a nightmare around the City and even in some of the outskirts. if the Showground upgrade then that would be great but that does not seem on the horizon.

Maybe the redundant Air Force Base(s) may have 'interesting facilities' if the case for security is no longer required? 

Newark is a good venue and that's best for the Club at the moment. An alternative would be to call the show the Lincoln and Newark  MR Show, as I bet some members come from the Newark area? I don't think Newark has a MR Club so there wouldn't be toe treading? If there is a club, again my apologies.

Good luck. I shall try to get to the Show this year.

P

• Like 2

The main reason most people go by car in Lincolnshire is someone took his axe to most of our railways!  :cry:

Bostcroft is making a return appearance in February (it went to the first one). Must pull me finger out and get the stock fitted with auto couplings like I wanted to for it's last outing!

This cuts two ways. I’ve been to Newark twice now, whereas it’s unlikely I’d have gone all the way from Nottingham to Lincoln; certainly I never did before.

But if you absolutely must look for a venue in the home county surely there must be a large sports hall or similar somewhere in the County? Nottingham (Bulwell) MRC managed their “East Midlands” show in just such for many years successfully.

• RMweb Premium

I've just re-read the header. Lincoln and District MRC ...........I'm happy with Newark if it works for the Club and could do until (if ever) another venue becomes available and is as good as the Club wants.

IIRC the Lincoln Club Venue is on the way to Newark on the A46, so there's not much further to go that way west than going across/around the City to the wilds of the County Showground to the north east of Lincoln!

Bout time I shut up now, but this has encouraged me to attempt to go next year. Newark is easier for me to get to anyway by car, bus or train and that is probably the same for many others. It even has two stations.................

Phil 

• 3 weeks later...

It always strikes me as odd that Newark should be in Notts anyway. It's the wrong side of the Trent. A bit like Ostend being part of England, rather than Belgium. ;)

As the resident of a Notts village to the East of the Trent and about 2 miles from the Newark Showground it's a great venue for me!  And I'm sure the Lincoln Club explored all possible alternatives in and around Lincoln before going for Newark.  Yes we don't have a club in Newark, alas. 

The Lincs/Notts border does not coincide with the river until a little South of the Dunham toll bridge on the A57.  Before that it's very erratic and the most Easterly extremity of Notts is only a little over a mile from Saxilby!

Chris KT

• 3 weeks later...

I have not described the Lincoln venue as either unreasonably cold or damp, that was the opinion of Nimbamoss. It is simply not the case that we are talking about some freezing cold dungeon with un-insulated earthen floor and foul water trickling down the walls! The venue has a proper floor, albeit concrete like many other well-attended show venues, hosts many other events all year round and was in my view perfectly acceptable unless visitors wore only light summer clothing on one exceptional Winter day when the wind happened to blow in a particular direction. There was no need for exhibitors to wear coats unless they were particularly thin-blooded.

Grinding and Axe are two words that come to mind.

Who ever heard of someone not attending a show because it's in the wrong County.

I live in West Sussex and often attend shows in other counties, including Lincolnshire and Yorkshire.

I'm sure your journey would be a lot shorter than mine.

You've obviously had some sort of 'Set to' with the Club.

I suggest you don't bother any more as you won't influence peoples' choices on the matter.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 1