Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Q&A - The Wishlist Poll 2018

My thanks yet again to the Poll Team, (one of whom I know from way, way back), for providing an opportunity to keep a good finger on the pulse of opinion. As one who is now very limited by a variant of Parkinsons (CBD or Parkinsons Plus) , and can only lurk in the background, I value this column very much.

Be well each,

PB

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Scottest

Very many thanks for the kind words - much appreciated!

It sometimes gets forgotten that The Poll is (or should be!) a fun and enjoyable way for people to take part in voting and we are pleased to see that it helps you in your difficult circumstances. I have two ex-railwaymen friends who have Parkinsons and can fully understand that 'putting pen to paper' isn't easy.

One of my sons has a friend who emanates from an exotic country far away. That friend has a saying from that nation - it doesn't translate exactly but it says:

Health is a crown worn by the healthy but which is visible only to the sick.

Kind regards

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

• Like 3

Many thanks for doing the Poll again - it does make interesting reading, as regards what is now included compared to several years ago. Almost everything I have ever wanted is now included, bar some extremely obscure items.

One item remains missing, perhaps too obscure, being that of EMU's (primarily BR/SR) converted to De-Icers/Weedkillers etc. There has been some move towards this with the advent of weedkilling vehicles, such as the Chipman's. But I guess maybe it needs a 4 SUB to be produced to get to the nub of it, although I think the success of the 2 BIL for example, could have been extended with such a variation. Hard to put in a poll without mentioning a wide variety of possibilities, I know, but perhaps worth thinking about?

All your hard and unpaid work is much appreciated by many of us, I am sure.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mike

Thanks for writing and for the much appreciated kind comments.

I will happily put your idea on the Agenda. We do list a De-icer in the form of the converted Class 489 GLVs (and Chipman Weedkiller) but both of those are perhaps a tad 'modern' for the period you are looking at. They are in the category: General Railway Service (Departmental).

Leave it with me...

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Just a reminder that you only have until next Saturday 3 November to take part in The Poll (see banner headline).

A number of pollsters have gone in to The Poll and 'saved' their selections but have not yet 'submitted'. Please note that you have to go right to the end and hit 'submit' if you want to have your choices entered.

We welcome your suggestions for 2019 and these will go on our Agenda and have 'a fair hearing'. It would help us greatly if you follow The Guide style and give us:

1. A clear heading

2. A few lines of text to put the item in context (there is no need for detailed historical notes, just enough that we can match detail at 1 with detail at 3 below)

3. A couple or more photo 'links'.

Finally, very many thanks to everyone who has downloaded The Poll Pollsters. We'd be interested to hear where these have been used. And perhaps how far in the world they have gone?

If you haven't yet downloaded them, I have attached them to this posting.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

1. 2018 Poll A5 Mini-poster.pdf

2. 2018 Poll A4 Poster.pdf

Just a suggestion for a possible new area to be added to the poll (or even a new poll ?)

At the moment I am something like 3 to 6 years from retirement, when my disposable income will severely reduce.  Well, that's just the way of the world, but manufacturers need to keep a tab on how their customers see their buying habits in the future.

At the moment if someone produced an 00 4-COR 4-car EMU I would buy several (depending on their price) but how many ?   If they were £150 for a set I would probably buy 10 (!) but that price is just a fantasy.  The cheapest I can imagine to be viable would be about £250 (discounted down to £210-ish) and that would reduce my buy to, SAY, 6 over a period of a couple of years, but assuming a 4-COR won't be out for several years then that price will go up faster than inflation and anyway I can't see £250 being likely even now - so the numbers go down even more.

So, that is me with lots of disposable income, what about in 3 to 6 years time ?  Even at, say, £300 I would be hard pressed to buy more than three, and even then over a period of time.

The effect of price, disposable income and inflation really need a poll.  "WE" on RMWEB may not be a representative cross-section of railway modellers, but at least it would give an indication to manufacturers.  The age profile poll gives some info, but more might be useful.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Phil

Thanks for writing.

I will, of course, put the suggestion on the Agenda, but I can say (without prejudice) that when we first started running The Poll in 2012, we did ask questions about age, region modelled, eras modelled etc but soon settled back to our 'core purpose' - which is to provide an easy and enjoyable way for modellers and collectors to indicate which 00 models they would like to see made.

Nothing more; nothing less. (But roll on the announcement of any 4 COR! I'll be at the retailer's door long before you to make sure I get mine!)

Hello Phil

Thanks for writing.

I will, of course, put the suggestion on the Agenda, but I can say (without prejudice) that when we first started running The Poll in 2012, we did ask questions about age, region modelled, eras modelled etc but soon settled back to our 'core purpose' - which is to provide an easy and enjoyable way for modellers and collectors to indicate which 00 models they would like to see made.

Nothing more; nothing less. (But roll on the announcement of any 4 COR! I'll be at the retailer's door long before you to make sure I get mine!)

Not before I get my 4 SUB's, thank you very much.........

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

You have just a few hours left to vote in The 00 Wishlist Poll 2018!

If you have gone into The Poll and ‘saved’ your choices for later, be aware that they won’t be counted unless you follow through to the end and hit ‘submit’ – whereupon you will receive an acknowledgement that your votes have been received. At that point – if you so wish – you can print out your selections. The software means that you will get a complete report of every item even if you didn’t vote for it.

If you are still contemplating whether to vote, please take the plunge now. The more voters we get, the better the differentiation between items.

Tomorrow morning (Sunday 4 November) I will be asking The Mods to lock off this thread. When we have the results – hopefully during the early part of next week – I will open a new thread entitled: Results – The 00 Wishlist Poll 2018.

You will be able to comment further there and make any suggestions for 2019.

Enjoy your voting but please be aware that any questions you have of The 00 Poll Team may not be answered after about 17.00 today.

We can also be contacted up to 17.00 today at our email address: thepollteam@gmail.com

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)