Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Q&A - The Wishlist Poll 2018

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the Poll !  I've voted .  It would be tempting to vote for everything Scottish,as I see someone saying they've voted for nearly everything SECR, LBSCR but at the end of the day I restricted myself to things I actually would buy, so that's primarily CR locos, although a NBR Glen would be nice and various EMUs , DMUs.    I do wonder , however , how much the poll could be skewed by people voting everything Southern or everything GWR. Maybe you should be restricted to the number of votes you have 5 to 10 so that it only covers the things you really want.

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the Poll !  I've voted .  It would be tempting to vote for everything Scottish,as I see someone saying they've voted for nearly everything SECR, LBSCR but at the end of the day I restricted myself to things I actually would buy, so that's primarily CR locos, although a NBR Glen would be nice and various EMUs , DMUs.    I do wonder , however , how much the poll could be skewed by people voting everything Southern or everything GWR. Maybe you should be restricted to the number of votes you have 5 to 10 so that it only covers the things you really want.

The continued poll should drive down the choices to the individual. It stands to reason that if you've bought the product, then there's no real need to vote for an occupied slot. A classic case whereby I'd vote for a bulldog, but not a dukedog. Continuing the poll allows newcomers,etc, subject to the cut-off date  

I 'think' I've got that about right, haven't I?

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Legend

Below is the relevant extract from the Q&A.

A similar subject was raised on another thread - I said there that if anyone was concerned that they might have an entry 'disqualified' then they are welcome to either PM me or send an email to me at The Poll Team address. The Team looks at each and every vote - it would soon be apparent if someone wasn't adhering to the reasonable premise.

We have thought about restricting votes within a category but - so far - the results have been consistent and there has been no need.

Is there any limit to what voters can vote for?

You can vote for whatever you would realistically wish to buy at any time in the future. Please note that The

Team reserves the right to delete without query any entry that it feels is not based on that premise.

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The continued poll should drive down the choices to the individual. It stands to reason that if you've bought the product, then there's no real need to vote for an occupied slot. A classic case whereby I'd vote for a bulldog, but not a dukedog. Continuing the poll allows newcomers,etc, subject to the cut-off date  

I 'think' I've got that about right, haven't I?

Ian.

Hello Ian

Well...yes, for some people, including me. We do add new items each year (92 in this Poll) but what tends to happen is that most new entries end up Low Polling. Naturally, they may creep up year-by-year and that is why that once an item is 'in' it will tend to stay in (terms & conditions may apply!).

The Poll Team works hard to present voters with a coherent list - all we ask is that the premise of realistically voting is respected.

Hello 159220

Thanks for the comments - happy to see that you have enjoyed voting.

Class 88: To the best of our knowledge, this loco shares the same bodyshell, cab etc as the Class 68. As such, we would take it that it would 'spin off' from the current model. We only list 'variants' when there is significant new tooling involved (such as there would be with Caprotti Black 5s, Standard 5s, and the two remaining Class 42s).

Class 745/755: As noted in the text at the head of The Guide EMU category, we were going to list them but we didn't have a firm date by 'close for press day' as to when they would arrive here. We only list items that are here (if produced overseas) and are actually on test on the tracks.

Freight/Departmental: You are welcome to make suggestions for 2019, but we would appreciate a bit more info. If you base your suggestions on the Guide format (a clear heading; up to about six lines of text; a couple of links) then that would help us greatly. It is heartening that you think The Poll Team is somehow 'omnipotent' and all-knowing -  but we aren't. We need a little help sometimes to avoid any confusion.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply, I shall drop you a PM to see if you would welcome an extensive of freight/departmental for 2019 - though this might split the vote further and make those listed (eg. MENTOR) look less attractive to a RTR manufacturer? 

As for the Class 88, is it bit of a myth to say they are the same as the Class 68. Yes, in general terms the body is the 'same' as the class 68, yet the positioning of grills is different for the brake resistor cones and would not match a 68 chassis where they have been slotted into. Naturally, the roof has a totally different arrangement bar the obvious pantograph. I would doubt this can be over come by putting in new slides, a new body would be easier. The bogies have several differences, yet I shall not list as I shall be accused of being a rivet counter (which I assure you I am not! I have listed the differences over on the relevant thread here/or the Digest).Plus your under frame bits are different. Basically a new model in this "electrics do not sell" myth.  

The first 755/4 is "en route" and should be here in the coming month. First passenger service is planned for Aug/Sept 2019. A rather tight acceptance schedule, especially with Brexit uncertainty (I know the Swiss are not in the EU, but they are in the EEC and thus difficulties ahead). I know less about the class 745, all I know it shall be first in passenger service on the Airport Expresses. I must of mis-read the very interesting 'The Guide' as in you do not know when it shall be delivered, yet you have listed it. Anyway, I would be - as per the class 88 - gobsmacked if a RTR model was not forthcoming.

As for wagons, I fully understand there is an endless range of them, I shall drop you a PM and see how I can help.

To clarify my previous post to cast aside any scepticism of my voting, I have every intention of purchasing all the LBSCR / SECR stock I voted for as I have done with items I voted for in the last poll, providing it is avaliable in the later Southern Livery I model (although putting locos in wartime black is very straight forward :P)

I voted for all the LSWR 4-4-0s in the survey as they all ran on the Swanage Railway that I am modelling. I have bought most of the Southern locomotives produced so far and I have every intention of buying these 4-4-0s. It is unlikely that manufacturers will produce them all in the next three years but it is possible that someone will make Adams T3 563 as it is being restored.

• Like 2

I think the class 88 should have been included and hope it will be next year. I think to myself could I take a class 68 and renumber as a 88 and be happy it's a good representation. I don't think I could there are too many detail differences as already alluded to. So could it be considered for next year please?

Thanks

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mark

It has already gone on the Agenda (but I will reiterate that the first request we had for it in five years was on this thread). If - as suggested, and that seems to bear out - it has much 'new tooling' needed compared to the 68, then it will definitely go in. I can assure you that the message has been received 'loud and clear'.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ian

Well...yes, for some people, including me. We do add new items each year (92 in this Poll) but what tends to happen is that most new entries end up Low Polling. Naturally, they may creep up year-by-year and that is why that once an item is 'in' it will tend to stay in (terms & conditions may apply!).

The Poll Team works hard to present voters with a coherent list - all we ask is that the premise of realistically voting is respected.

Thanks Brian. I've only voted upon those Items for which I would like to see made. My personal list does reduce over time, as 'new' items take up the spots on 'my' list. I fully recognise that you need to retain a degree of realism: After all, there's an exceedingly slim chance of seeing a Port Talbot Railway 0-8-2 tank in the news. The same applies to a M&SWJR 2-4-0 in 00.  I can vote, but I need to stay true to myself.

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ian

About 400 steam loco classes became BR property in 1948. I can't even begin to imagine how many classes have been built overall - and that doesn't even begin to consider the many that were altered over the years, dramatically altering their appearance. In model terms, what would often equate to all new tooling.

We list 194 steam types (excl BR and Industrials). Twenty-two are 'new entries'.

Our problem is: where do we draw a line as to what goes in or stays out? Given that there are at least 200 more steam locos that could go in.

Additionally, we try to respond to requests, but the positions of new entries in 2016 might question this approach.

GWR

54xx/4xx - Middle Polling

SR

Urie S15 - Middle

E6 - Low

E3 - Low

LMS

Long Firebox Jubilee - Middle

Precursor - Low

HR Small Ben - Low

Rebuilt Jubilee - Low

GSWR 131 - Low

GSWR 403/51 - Low

LNER

J83 - Low

J88 - Low

J71 - Low

Z4 & Z5 - Low

We have tried hard this year to offer at least one Pre-group loco class. We have done the same with rolling stock. The difficulty is that if we list lots of what to many are 'obscure', we will have voters give up as they find it difficult to locate their wants in very long lists,

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Interesting, for the era I model (blue diesels) there is very little for me to vote for as almost everything I need is already available, except for some dmu’s.

This is a similar view to a lot of pollsters, I guess. There's a lot of Western models already 'done' towards an ever-diminishing back room of history. 3 new Western models in the last 12 months, with another 3 in the wings (I need to check it out, I could be wrong).

Perhaps we have indeed reached the end. A diminishing example base, coupled to a diminishing demographic.  Hmmmm.

Happy pondering,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

We have tried hard this year to offer at least one Pre-group loco class. We have done the same with rolling stock. 

Hello everyone

Sorry...I was rushing out this morning and have just got home. That line above should read:

We have tried hard this year to offer at least one example of a class of each Pre-group company.

We have tried hard this year to offer at least one example of a class of each Pre-group company...

There's an interesting thought provoked by this. When do we suppose the GWR breaks its duck in respect of designs from absorbed companies?

Has there ever been an OO RTR model available for any absorbed class or vehicle that worked on the GWR post 1922, other than the 'accident' of a Terrier which wasn't a native design of the business it was absorbed from? The Welsh company's traction and vehicles are a complete desert.

• RMweb Gold

Hello 34

I don't think I'm answering your question here, but the 'Welsh' locos have always been Low Polling...until 2016, when Port Talbot No.26 nudged her way into Middle Polling.

And that was by just two votes.

We have the passenger stock of one Welsh company on the 2019 Agenda.

Brian (on behalf of The

The problem with the Absorbed locomotives is that most of them were substantially rebuilt and they are a minefield when it comes to differences between locomotives which are supposed to be in the same class. Many of them were built in small batches from different builders.

Just looking at the various 0-6-2Ts. Do you go for a parallel boiler version, most of which were withdrawn early or a rebuilt version that looked very similar to a 56XX?

I can't see it happening unless it was a commission. If so I would expect one of the two preserved examples. But not much use for GWR/BR though.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

The problem with the Absorbed locomotives is that most of them were substantially rebuilt and they are a minefield when it comes to differences between locomotives which are supposed to be in the same class. Many of them were built in small batches from different builders.

Just looking at the various 0-6-2Ts. Do you go for a parallel boiler version, most of which were withdrawn early or a rebuilt version that looked very similar to a 56XX?

I can't see it happening unless it was a commission. If so I would expect one of the two preserved examples. But not much use for GWR/BR though.

Jason

Some of the parallel boiler survivors - albeit not very many - lasted until 1954/55 which isn't much different from the date to which the reboilered ones lasted.  But it all depends on the period you model or the extent to which you are prepared to stretch a year or four if you model BR.  Hence some of my clicks will definitely be heading into the south wales inherited tank engines but I doubt, as in the past, there won't be too many of us going in that direction.

Now time to get voting and a lot of locos will get my ticks in the (G)WR section for the simple reason that I would definitely buy one should somebody decide to make it - thanks to the team, as ever, for the opportunity to vote for such rarities.

PS All very easy to use thanks Team (and AY again?) and as I wasn't interested in a number of categories it was pretty quick although I'd had a previous read through of course.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mike

The 'Welsh' locos we list survived (broadly) as below:

Cardiff Railway - 1963

BPGVR - 1956 with one to 1959

Port Talbot - a bit of an odd one, but survived to 1967 and is preserved.

Cambrian - 1954

Barry Railway - 1951

Rhymney - 1957

TVR - 1957

• RMweb Gold

As a modeller of South Wales railways I have, of course, voted for the Barry, Taff and Rhymnyey locos but I am realistic enough to know that they are very unlikely to appear RTR. As I concentrate on the Barry I know that there were plenty of differences in the B1s even before the GWR got hold of them.

Brian.

• Like 1

As a modeller of South Wales railways I have, of course, voted for the Barry, Taff and Rhymnyey locos but I am realistic enough to know that they are very unlikely to appear RTR. As I concentrate on the Barry I know that there were plenty of differences in the B1s even before the GWR got hold of them.

Brian.

If anyone did produce one, would you like it in red?
  • Like 1