AFK A room sized layout that hosts intensive operating sessions.

The right hand end of Eromarbordo is now finished, barring the shouting. The left hand still needs work on the station and the building occupying the corner by the quayside. People seemed to like the photos posted last time so here are some more test shots of the finished work.

I am also using this post as a test to share photos directly without the need to use a hosting platform so I hope it works. Fingers crossed!

2118871274_opsdecant002.jpg.8982fdf72189f1cc845da907d0529bb6.jpg

The indistinct buildings behind the quayside have been painted in. As at many places in lawless medieval Marronĝacco the town was protected by a castle and town walls, which can be seen in the background. The roof of the tower needs a little more attention by the look of it. A couple of vehicles will hide the gap between the baseboard and the backscene alongside the fish market. The irony of painting the wall a hardboard colour, over the sky, was not lost upon me!

367620799_opsdecant003.jpg.2cf929349468a4bda7f37aa2834f1f8b.jpg

The crudely rendered leaded roof of Maria Stella Maris chapel has finally been painted in as have the background buildings. These are totally minimal and simply imply that something is there. Too much detail distracts the eye so I try to keep it simple even though the palette is too bright. The only time I have managed to restrain myself was in painting the Inverness backscene on the N gauge layout. Look there if you are interested enough. The old torn sheet of the grain loading pit has been replaced by…. yes, a new torn sheet. The old one was weighted with lead so that it dropped down once hoppers left. Unfortunately the lead was too chunky and it was common for the hoppers to drag the building with them! The new piece is smaller and thinner. The pit is usually invisible in the darkness when the upper level is there.

943660999_opsdecant008.jpg.20a72bab73cf00e460b00d2d1a55f233.jpg

The Art Deco sign on the cocoa store, with its hand carved lettering, took three shifts to fabricate and colour when I worked in signal boxes. I am not sure quite what they made of any talc that escaped my clearing up! The building itself is a simple utilitarian structure, the corrugated iron roof of which has just been painted. It, and the oil tanks, had to be removed so that the concrete industrial building alongside the quay could be painted to fill the gap. The sacks are usually hidden behind bogie vans awaiting loading.

I might well complete this station as the rebuild drags on… and on…. and on.

I suppose, also, that an article will appear in Narrow Lines in the fullness of time but they already have five in stock so don’t hold your breath!

Ian T

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1