AFK A room sized layout that hosts intensive operating sessions.

ianathompson

• RMweb Premium

The next instalment of Day 12 is available.

12-175.jpg.3986844caccff88bc2ed1a3606746496.jpg

175. A disagreement now arises. The Karushnastrato has now been blocked twice in the last quarter of an hour, causing congestion, and the engine crew want to cross it yet again. Licamo, the crossing keeper, is unhappy at this. The engine crew are eventually told to cool their heels and wait until the FDV-LAC goods arrives. It might not do any harm for the scratch crew to put up with the inconvenience, particularly as they are in positions of some authority. The daily realities of operating diverge significantly from the theories of “Office railwaymen”. There are more than a few similarities with the famous ‘Durham Ox’ crossing at Lincoln, except that there is no chance of a relieving bridge being built in the Karushnastarto!

12-182.jpg.ba69c8f4026665c4b9eb3807376fc0b8.jpg

182. A glance in the opposite direction shows the pilot in the middle of the yard. (You will have to air brush out the ‘safety fence’ because it is ‘not there;.) This is similar to many other views and might not be worth repeating. It was included to conclude the journey of the fish van from Eromarbordo earlier this morning. This was shown beside the quayside in photo 57, in the branch train in 111, and transferring to the local in 112 and 113. It was seen in photos 146 and 158 at Boursson and arriving in Lacono in 169. It is at the rear of the cut of wagons in this photo. It might seem to be a mundane subject to bring up but this is one of the pleasures that I find in operating a system type of layout. The whole journey takes place on the layout without recourse to a fiddleyard.

12-192.jpg.0d366bb189ff8136f33a84f2f9bd949b.jpg

192. The KTT afternoon up goods stands at Relforka, behind La Besto, ready to depart. As has previously been remarked, “the creature” (from the Black Lagoon) is a disreputable diesel based upon no known prototype other then a dilapidated garden shed. It has been cured over the years of its more revolting habits, which used to include regular buffer locking and leaping upon unsuspecting, although not entirely innocent, wagons, rather like a cattle dog. With 434 commissioned and Ichdoclo away the creature has decided that it too will enter the filthy pall diesel exhaust stakes. The first van looks to have been mouldering in a remote siding for some time judging by the lichens covering its body.

There should be plenty of interest!

Ian T

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The latest report on the session is now available here.

As has been noted it takes some time to load up, although one or teo people have told me that they have no problems with it.

Perhaps it just my computer!

12-202.jpg.f927716df0126ccfa5947fe9dac69780.jpg

202. The afternoon Relforka freight pulls into the permanent snowy wastes of the Narnian enclave. Urchyllu, the centaur and staciaĉefo at Caladonno, comes out to meet the train. This is a red letter day. There is a van of pharmaceuticals to pick up. You know the sort of thing: magic potions to turn princes into frogs and elixirs to make geese lay golden eggs. For a location that was never envisaged, and only provided as a last minute operational afterthought, Caladonno is doing quite well for itself! The backscene needs finishing, however.

12-214.jpg.53e6be97e97fb970b49060ca2767e516.jpg

214. The Fenditavalat pilot is also busy as it pushes a van, loaded with wool, into the blanket factory. The market stall holder looks on interestedly as he has realised that the chimney of the 2-4-0T will not clear the arch. Never mind, the big hand from the sky will complete the job!

12-225.jpg.65b7b7504c511d58432e18ccbfac64ff.jpg

225. The CFS school’s railcar meets the mixto and provides the last connection through to Krelm on the Ruritanian mainline. Given this it includes a trailer to increase capacity. Unfortunately for the Calviero canton school kids it means a longer wait after the school day finishes. This is not too much of a hardship as the lyceo is a boarding school and can provide tea for these pupils if required. The Altonia kids have a more prompt get away, unless they are weekly boarders from the outlying districts. The CFS trailer has been pushed up the Square by the AFK railcar and the handbrake screwed on. The power car will run in front of it and the trailer will run onto the rear by gravity. The only requirement on the model is a track brake and that was eventually provided some time ago.

I hope that you find something to enjoy!

Ian T

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The next set of photos chronicling the operating session is now avaialble here. 

Some people advise me that the page loads quickly onto their machines.

It takes around a minute on mine.

It all depends upon local broadband speeds, I suppose.

The first session was recorded as a "one off" in 2016.

It ran to around 230 photos.

This session (the twelfth) currently stands at 265 and looks as though it will weigh in at around 300.

I am beginning to think that they have got too bloated.

Any views anyone?

12-237.jpg.c08d3b1536faf78f5446ab8f1f065269.jpg

237. The railcar ambles along, through the fields, making stops at obscure wayside halts such as Lamassco. One of the kids drops down and leaves the door open adding a little more time to the stop. The washer woman is still at it. Clothes and bedding were washed in streams and ponds, even after WWII, in parts of rural Europe where there was no piped water supply. She is wearing the traditional sektora kapvestaĵo as she works. This is a translation of “coiffre du secteur” which is highlighted in one of my Reseau Breton books. Each area had its own traditional peasant headdress. I have obtained a copy of them from the net and intend to have some of my own for Altonia. It must be said that some of the illustrations verge on the bizarre! The boxes in the bottom right hand corner contain the figures used for this type of photo. There might be a need for more of them if I ever get around to more figure painting. Don’t bother looking for these figures anywhere either! The washer woman was a fluorescent Life Like figure who underwent a sex change, and a more sober repaint, whilst the bairn was carved out of raw styrene with a soldering iron. Elf & Safety eat you heart out!

12-245.jpg.d4037cb7000be40723b00bf27d5b608c.jpg

245. Sacansa, the Ithilarak staciaĉefino, strides forcefully towards the loco where Crocetto the trajnĉefo has cravenly taken refuge. It has been agreed with Control, on Sacansa’s say so, let it be said, that the train will carry out the necessary shunting and wait for the mixto before going forward. You really don’t want to be messing with the mountain women and Sacansa’s word, usually in a Marronĝaccan dialect that Control cannot understand, often leavened with a few profanities, is law around this part of the AFK!

12-253.jpg.1f2743b44d0de6e27ad5da5fe342c1e9.jpg

253. The diesel fumes from the I-D-I’s exhaust make a contrast with the pristine alpine scenery of the Narnian enclave as the mixto pulls away from Caladonno on its return journey. Simple as it is this part of the scene is finished, although I suppose that the cheap trees could be replaced. (On second thoughts, it isn’t finished because the viaduct requires a handrail!) I originally intended to place a ski lift into the scene but decided that it would become too crowded. The turn back wheel and mechanism for the aerial ropeway will probably see use at the coal loader at some point in the future.

I look forward to your views.

Ian T

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The operating session has finally finished.

There are around fifty new photos to be seen here.

The file contains over 300 photos so this is some kind of record.

Hopefully I can be more concise with the next  session.

12-271.jpg.d616ef83a3b8e8ee693b60ec49ae1c03.jpg

271. The early running down Fenditavalat goods stops at Bourrson. It is too long to fit into the loop and if it stopped short of the clearance point the rear vehicle, another SG van on a transporter, would block the road. The loop cannot be extended and was not deliberately made short to cause operational problems. Its length is determined by the turn back curve at the end of the room and the position of the doorway. The easiest solution would be to continue to Glissent but a phone call to Control must be made before this can happen.

12-284.jpg.ea1c472fa31a63a1e673174018d41ef1.jpg

284. The goods is let out and approaches Caladonno only to find the home at danger. “Bl**dy Narnian centaur”, think the crew, “Bet he’s fast asleep in his stable. Blow the whistle. Wake him up!”” Despite the aspersions the signal changes and the reason for the delay becomes apparent as they are put into the goods loop to let the pursuing railcar overtake. Because of its late incorporation into the layout I still tend to disregard Caladonno and view it as an overgrown siding, rather like Cadsuiane. It does provide operational flexibility despite its short length, as is evident tonight. Whatever their opinion of Urchyllu, the staciaĉefo, the crew will end up completing the crossing, as he goes off duty at 22.00. Maybe he can be bribed into staying with an apple or two!

12-301.jpg.1111a41361b8dbc1e97c97927b8a394f.jpg

301. Almost the last act of the day at Isuri. The CFS loco tops up with water at the AFK column to replace that dissipating as steam from the resistances. Once it has coupled onto the brake, and left, the residents should not be disturbed until 5 a.m. although the students are still going strong by the look of it!

I have a number of ideas about the developments that could take place before the next operating session.

We will have to see whether they come to fruition.

The AFK will compete, as ever, with other railway interests whilst it is shut down.

There are three other layouts needing attention, and that is not counting the one in the garden.

Hopefully the "shut down" will not be so long this time, but then I express the same hope at the end of every session.

Ian T

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some months along and it is time for another report from the Little World of Altonia.

A week and a half in the Cotswolds playing with Inverness Citadel hampered progress but a new session has now begun.

It can be found here.

A couple of photos are included to give some idea of the goings on.

13-04.jpg.f82aaafe20028ecc9edf5a59c4b6705d.jpg

4. Reaching into the passenger station to uncouple is not as easy as it used to be. The nameboards and the train indicator come off easily enough, however, so it is not too much trouble. It is just as well as the usual problems occurred after the line has been closed for construction work. A couple of touching and shorting rails were found, eventually, after an hour or two’s chasing, and a loose wire left a dead spot in some complex pointwork. I don’t know how it came loose as it was under the platform which was an untouched area this time around. Ballasting always creates problems both on the model and the real thing.

13-13.jpg.6ca3724c2020d51baf6d8958fde3ff17.jpg

13. New kid on the block. The dismal saga of the Chinese made British outline 4-6-0 mechanism remains fresh in my mind. Don’t look at me or I’ll fall apart! The new chassis for the attempted Reseau Breton inspired loco is ¾ of a BR 78. The Fleischmann model had the back bogie hacked off and the body, which was going to be binned, was modified once again. The wheels are miles too small, hence my original decision to use a OO chassis rather than an HO one. It might find a role if it behaves. It is allocated to the KTT local goods, a favourite “running in” or testing turn. This also leaves the possibility of the displaced infamous “creature” turning out as a second pilot/banker when the anticipated mayhem occurs in the late afternoon. Of course one far reaching effect of hacking the Fleischmann chassis about was that I realised that a full chassis could provide the basis of a County Donegal inspired Baltic tank. Guess what now stands on the “round tuit” shelf?!

Ian T

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The session has made reasonable progress so far.

The latest images, three dozen or so, are available here.

13-14.jpg.c1a8d95add00bd3feb353fa308e4b9d5.jpg

14. The cement train stops at Glissent’s home, as required by the rules. It then sounds the whistle and pulls forward, prepared to stop short of any obstruction, following which the trajnaĉefo will work the lever frame for the up goods to pass.

13-18.jpg.8e96d3ba5432eb3262068177874e3338.jpg

18. There’s trouble at mill down the branch. The scenery and water surface of the tidal creek at Eromarbordo were covered in talcum powder. This was used to provide texture on the platforms at Lacono, directly above. It has slipped through the cracks undetected and coated the backscene and “water” in an unwanted white film Cleaning is underway. The bridge was designed to open if required but it will not complete a full swing to 90º because the backscene is in the way. Unlatching the alignment bolts is a real pain, as well. The bridge can be removed in absolute emergencies but it was not deemed necessary here.

13-22.jpg.5b484840c99197d194263f306aa2a781.jpg

22. Whilst the lower part of the line is busy throughout the 24 hours the upper part usually has 5 or 6 hours without activity. Fenditavalat receives its morning alarm call as the shunter enters the square at 04.55. We are now almost in summer and the contraption runs without its hood to prevent overheating, much to the consternation of various members of the populace who are concerned by the possibility of children’s unguarded fingers meeting the whirling fan. The townscape has evolved a little with Y Fako Erdkundo, the Geography Department, having “reinstated” the 18th century terra orbis, a little known relative of the famous mappa mundi, hanging somewhat threateningly over the Basabazaro. As the perceptive will note it is rather before its time as it includes Australia and New Zealand. The railway receives an annual bill from the Scolari Vallisfissura, the Mediaeval University’s senate, to ensure that the globe is kept in pristine condition despite the exhaust from the steam locos.

13-37.jpg.7b81c12aad7e67dc60fbd933832853cf.jpg

37. Inhodza has driven the Isuri shunter up to Caladonno where it is met by Urchyllu the centaur waving his flamboyant Narnian streamer. There is a need to load a wagon of logs for the paper factory. This will have to be done by afternoon at the latest because trains are scheduled to cross in the short loop here. This was not always the case but times change. The Isuri crew are used to the untoward antics of the Narnian enclave’s staciaĉefo, although the AFK management prefer him to stay out of sight as much as possible as he unnerves the passengers. It is not every day that normal people see a talking half man half horse total idiot. Unfortunately employment of local Narnians was a term agreed upon when the railway was built across the benighted snowbound enclave.

13-42.jpg.3d669ad82f04d0de1dd87a7bbedb675d.jpg

42. With the train arrived at Ithilrak the banking crew are delegated to do the shunting, much to their chagrin. Sacansa, the statiaĉefina, like most of the Marronĝaccan speaking mountain women is not some-one to be messed with and she gives the crew their orders in no uncertain terms before she walks back to work the frame. The crew, being Thalnian speakers from Lacono, have a limited grasp of what is being said when Marronĝacan is used, but it does not take much imagination to grasp her meaning! It is of no surprise that the door is closed and the window only partially open!

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
error
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

There are around 50 new photos on the website.

I often wonder how many forum readers actually access the website!

There are a mere three included in this post to act as an enticement!

The rest, for those that are interested, are available here.

13-57.jpg.83cba30cf1d98af662b7653092db2a9e.jpg

57. The shunting is finished and a couple of vans stand in front of the kiln used for smoking the fish. The van behind the VW is a pain in the butt for crews as it is a 6 wheeler. This, and a companion, was built in the very early days of the layout, back in the early eighties. It seemed like a good idea at the time but was never repeated. They are the bane of everyone’s life because, unless there is another 6 wheeler, such as a flat or a coal wagon, in the consist, they reduce train capacity. The van beside the buffers has opening doors and, as can be seen, is loaded with fish boxes. It is swapped with another van, from wherever it ends up, so that it begins its journey on the quaysides. Once the crew have finished shunting they will disappear into a local café for breakfast. They are not booked away until 09.30 so the job has its compensations despite the problems! High tide is at 09.45 today so some one else will have to deal with the loads from that. The time of the tide and the loadings change from operating session to session.

13-64.jpg.6f77dc19f3bc3d9f9a96165afbc7f11e.jpg

65. “Isuri” is a singular city and it is quite common to see cattle wandering the streets. This herd have been in for morning milking and are now making their way across the merkatubaxu back to the pastures, via the horse trough. The CFS schools’ train has arrived and dropped its pans, in the background. It will be towed down to Rivaborda by its AFK counterpart to avoid running round. It has pulled forward today, on the instructions of Terjalo, the staciaĉefo, because its counterpart has a trailing load. The bus makes a connection with this train, which is not solely reserved for Lyceo pupils, as there are few connections in these mountainous areas.

The cattle were a feature of Fenditavalat’s predecessor, which occasionally went to very local exhibitions. One person observed that I seemed to spend more time moving cattle about than I did trains.

13-71.jpg.0a1092a1a65d6bf6ce49042373ea5bce.jpg

72. The roving photographer catches the local from the same spot as he snapped the express. This is a much more heterogenous affair as might be expected from a secondary service. The 2-8-2T loco shows Swedish and Swiss inspired features but it still needs a lot of work to finish it off. The first coach is a strengthener based upon a Sardinian composite, the second an Austrian Brake 2nd with radial axles and the third a compartment 2nd based on a French prototype. The TPO, in maroon, behind the tree, is based on a Portuguese vehicle and the postal tender on the rear is another Sardinian vehicle. They are all built on the “flexi-scale” principle so that the overall effect is not too jarring.

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
duplicate photo
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, ianathompson said:

I often wonder how many forum readers actually access the website!

I confess that I rarely do. Your snippets here and on the other thread tell the stories so well.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A number of new pictures have been posted on the website.

It seems that some of you don't visit it very often and rely on the posts in this thread to keep yourselves updated!

Lazy b----rs!

There are around 120 photos on the wbesite and perhaps a dozen or 15 here.

Go on! Press Visit the wbebsite.

You know you want to!

13-89.jpg.4eae136410b9187b74133b83655e7f38.jpg

90. A special train is following the railcar, running under reporting number 8732.

In American practice it would be called second 1114 and in British terminology it would be a relief train.

The Legate and the centaur have retreated from view for the moment.

It is to be hoped that the Legate does not alight on the twisted spire of St Anaktix seen in the foreground, whilst searching for the run away troll, as one of his predecessors is alleged to have done.

Quite where the AFK dredged up that ancient dowdy carriage from is open to question.

It does, however, contain a makeshift bar in the rear vestibule which is a welcome facility for the thirsty race-goer.

13-102.jpg.6e3e5ee35b6b23fd911d433129576f65.jpg

102. As soon as the fish van is placed in the train, at the front, the crew waste no time in pulling out for Boursson. 

It is awkward to get a shot of the bridge so this is probably the first water level view.

There is a distinct hump in the structure which was protected by the Mediaeval tower.

The tower itself is protected by a retrospectively added Perspex shield, having being caught once or twice before it was in place.

The cattle wade in the shallows on the inside of the meander whilst the current passes through the left hand arch beside the steep undercut bank.

End of geography lesson!

One of the patterns is obviously the wrong way round.

I have contemplated putting fixed fishing nets behind the bridge but suspect that this would make the scene too crowded.

13-112.jpg.f3a21ed50929dc429f307a947300190f.jpg

111. The URT-RFK goods wastes no time in getting away once the passenger is in.

The loco is already onto the lifting span of the bascule bridge crossing the Spegulalaguno.

It was booked away at 08.43 so it is running 90 minutes late.

The ferry is much too close to the bridge to be credible but it is a case of modeller’s license.

The bridge itself stretches credulity as it is supposed to span a ribbon lake, most of which are exceedingly deep.

13-121.jpg.45c7e59db7179a8260789c57dc6a9578.jpg

120. Shunting operations have to be suspended whilst the CFS train pulls in to connect with the express.

The CFS train is simply a shuttle from the Orbonaklifo station, to use the correct title, across town which will connect with AFK service, giving a through transit to Krelm on the Ruritanian line.

It mainly runs to convey the Post van. The pans are meant to be touching the wires, so it pays not to look too closely.

The old bloke on the left is still tinkering with the engine of the taxi.

Ian T

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ianathompson said:

Just out of interest the web page has been updated to now include a map of the system in response to comments made elsewhere.

Ian T

I have been following the AFK for a while but I have to say, that will make things a lot easier than relying on my memory or trundling around the website looking for the map that "I know that I have seen somewhere".

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ian said:

I have been following the AFK for a while but I have to say, that will make things a lot easier than relying on my memory or trundling around the website looking for the map that "I know that I have seen somewhere".

Apologies. 

Because the layout is next door and because I know all about it I tend to make assumptions.

I have a friend who comes an operates occasionally and he has difficulty understanding it even when he looks at it!

I have had a little play on the website controls and have one ot two ideas about improving things.

Just got to do them now!

Ian T

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, ianathompson said:

Apologies. 

Because the layout is next door and because I know all about it I tend to make assumptions.

I have a friend who comes an operates occasionally and he has difficulty understanding it even when he looks at it!

I have had a little play on the website controls and have one ot two ideas about improving things.

Just got to do them now!

Ian T

I resemble that remark!

Looking at the photos of the moves, I still find it difficult placing some of the shots, and that includes ones that I was there for when they were taken!

Andy G

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

A new scematic map has been produced in a horizontal fromat.

It is hand drawn because the printer refuses to print.

I have also put the menu at the start of the new photos so that you can toggle between the map and thr start of the photos section.

The appropriate web page is here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold

Lovely - I think on future visits I shall have the 'guide book' open in an extra tab so that I can flick back and forth.

Edited by ian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The next update for the session has been posted.

In the light of comments I have prorvided links to various maps and other info.

It now takes a little while to load all the photos.

The latest photos are available here.

13-126.jpg.d8c2afb8d3cd1f070a035a9bdc6ec8f1.jpg

125. The calm before the storm.

The goods going forward is a long train today and there is no way that it can hide in a siding.

It is perhaps fortunate in that the loco exceeds the booked power category.

The usual loco would have struggled with some of the shunts and probably would have had to take longer than was actually the case.

13-131.jpg.77bcac263e38f49ffc14f97c4fc4607c.jpg

129. Eromarbordo has been a little neglected of late but there is no time pressure here.

The extra loco and van have pulled onto the quayside so that the railcar can get out of the way of the shunting.

Fortunately there are no hoppers for the grain unloading pit so the railcar can foul this siding.

The outgoing traffic is determined by throwing the dice, as are all traffic flows.

The difference here is that the throw takes place “in session” and varies from day to day depending upon the time of the tide.

This is the height of the fishing season but today the load can be dealt with by one train.

Sometimes two are needed which causes chaos.

The worker, alongside Maria Stella Maris chapel, has plenty of barrels and boxes to contend with.

The chapel, dedicated to the fisherfolk, as its name suggests, is Way Station 1 on the via poenitentibus the randonno, or LDP (long Distance Path) that crosses the canton and contributes to the tourist economy.

13-148.jpg.d0a586ccfda4eb9ba1cdee23568892c2.jpg

146. The hulking great diesel is casually parked in the middle of y merkatubaxu, the main square of ‘Isuri’.

The cab door is wide open and anyone could climb in if they so wished, although any one other than a crew member would receive suitable upbraiding from the resident populace, not that this deters the more high spirited university students!

The matron walking across the square looks as though she could rigorously apply admonishment!

The driver is probably partaking of a quick drink and snack in one of the local establishments before the connecting CFS train pulls in.

13-155.jpg.89485f276394d92e2d67175562298790.jpg

153. The FDV-RFK railcar pulls into Relforka to find the 2-10-2T waiting with the RFK-FDV afternoon goods.

This has been retimed to run earlier today because of the race traffic.

It should be able to keep out of the way of the mixto although it is normally booked to follow it.

It is not running with a full load so that should help, although the loco is a well known Diva.

Ian T

• Like 4