Class 91 InterCity repaint

On first inspection it looks great but then something rattled my pea brain as to not being quite right - anyone else noticed that the InterCity Swallow on this side is upside down? The longer part of the forked tail should be to the bottom whereas it's the opposite on this side of the loco (although correct on the opposing side).

Well spotted! It's not quite the same as the original, is it - but it's not upside down, either!

There were two different bird motifs, one for each side so they always pointed forward (towards the 'pointy end').

The wings on the RHS were set at more of an angle than the LHS which was more upright, but In each case the lower wing was more 'solid' and the upper was more 'stripey'.  In which case the new 91119 is the right way up.

You may have to zoom in a bit to see - I have several closeups of swallows on HSTs, but I am not 100 per cent certain they were the same as the 91s (but they probably were)

post-24907-0-49519500-1542623206_thumb.jpg

post-24907-0-86633500-1542623243_thumb.jpg

Bu look at the head of the bird on the new version - or more specifically at the beak. Looks like it's the head which is upside down! Very strange.

Nit-picking or not, what a superb reincarnation for 91119!

Cheers

Trevor

• Like 2

It sure looked well last night at wakey.

Great shot. 

The repaint has given me inspiration to dig out my old Hornby model and do a bit of detailing work on it. May even treat it to a replacement motor!  I'd forgotton how nice these locos looked in their original livery.

Will be a nice project for the winter evenings.

Edited by cravensdmufan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve had a work trip to London today and am aboard the 5pm from King’s Cross to Edinburgh. The booked HST has had a set swap for a Class 91 set ... a bit gutted by that! However, a decent consolation prize that made me smile is that it’s hauled by 91119 in the new livery ... it seems to be following me about!

I managed to get a couple of quick pics before departure ....

post-10765-0-32589300-1542821135_thumb.jpeg

post-10765-0-86214900-1542821225_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

Trevor, the second pic needs insertion into "Human Side of the Railway" 

I was pretty sure it had been posted there a while back, so I trawled back through umpteen posts and yes - already uploaded on 13th October last year.

Surprisingly it is the best view of mine I could find showing the LHS swallow, hence it reappeared here as well.

Regards

Trevor

I'm convinced the Intercity legend is slightly too small, but she sure does look good. For the last OOC open day, wasn't a 47 painted in Swallow too? Could get all 3 together :sungum:

Agreed, knowing the 91s, it'd be good to have a matching 'Thunderbird'

It does look great. I like the attention to detail; they've even got the swallow on the horn grille - alright the inter city logo is on the small side but still. It's hard to believe they're coming to the end of their front line service on the east coast mainline, I remember seeing them as kid on test at Doncaster and Retford, and when they first entered traffic with the mk.3's and buffer fitted HST power cars.

I may have to go out an about with the camera for a few shots before its too late.

Carl

I’ve had a work trip to London today and am aboard the 5pm from King’s Cross to Edinburgh. The booked HST has had a set swap for a Class 91 set ... a bit gutted by that! However, a decent consolation prize that made me smile is that it’s hauled by 91119 in the new livery ... it seems to be following me about!

I managed to get a couple of quick pics before departure ....

attachicon.gifA4D2B9DC-4E58-4521-B21D-C5BC846FC67F.jpeg

attachicon.gifF44794DC-59DF-49B4-8EE5-5140595DB2B9.jpeg

Nice to see thats its now pointing north again.

In my earlier photo at Wakefield Westgate, its pointing South.

• 4 weeks later...

Just back from a business trip to Switzerland and I was amazed that the Re4/4 class is still going strong, I can't find any definitive information that the oldest locomotives dating from 1964 are still in service but as a class there are still plenty earning their keep for the Swiss Railways.  In comparison we seem to be hell bent on getting rid of anything "old" or do we not build anything to last anymore.

Jim