BBC report - "Steam engine hits car at Sheringham level crossing"

PrestburyJack

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-46249122

BBC Report:

A steam engine hit a car in a crash at a level crossing.

The 1912 Y14 locomotive ploughed into the silver Mercedes near Sheringham railway station, Norfolk, at about 11:30 GMT.

It is thought the motorist was heading to a nearby golf club at the time of the crash, which badly damaged the car.

A police officer who shared an image of the wreckage said the Mercedes driver and three men aboard the engine were unhurt.

The engine - built in 1912 - had been travelling at 8mph to Weybourne to hook up with a dining car, a North Norfolk Railway spokesman said.

'Train emerged victor'

General manager Andrew Munden said the Sweet Briar Lane crossing's lights and sirens were sounding at the time.

"We are all so relieved that this was a low speed collision and that no-one was injured," he said.

Services resumed by the afternoon after the Rail Accident Investigation Branch had given permission to clear the site, Mr Munden said.

PC Jon Parker, of Norfolk Police tweeted: "Currently on scene at a train vs car incident. Unsurprisingly, the train emerged the victor."

The popular Poppy Line route runs between Sheringham and Holt on the Norfolk coast.

_104383746_train.jpg

Edited by PrestburyJack

Always think it such a shame that expensive German saloon cars get  a bit bashed.

My father in law always considered them to be German taxis driven by Turkish taxi drivers, I once had a ride in a Turkish taxi and understood exactly what he meant.

good that no one got hurt except of course in the pocket.

Disgraceful report full of emotive stereotyping language. Using vicious words like "Mercedes" and "golf" will encourage people to make negative assumptions regarding this careful motorist who was ambushed by an almost invisible bright blue 60 ton loco speeding along emitting smoke and steam at 8mph. With crossing lights and alarms blazing. How would any motorist have any idea that trains might be coming this way?

• Like 5

From the position the car has ended up in I presume the loco was backing up. I wonder if the plonker driver thought that steam locos only move boiler end first and therefore had already gone ove the crossing so he could safely nip round the back of it. :nono:

Brian