Modified/Detailed Hornby Suburban Coaches

Think I might attempt an autocoach next to pair up with my 64xx unless I can get a hold of a 14xx

eBay is definitely your friend for the 14xx. You can quite easily find both a body shell and a chassis for one to put together yourself for under half of the price of buying one in one piece.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

• RMweb Gold

eBay is definitely your friend for the 14xx. You can quite easily find both a body shell and a chassis for one to put together yourself for under half of the price of buying one in one piece.

I had considered a Hornby 14xx and removing the traction tyres etc unfortunately they're not exactly very detailed and I'm not sure my skills are quite there yet to do anything about it plus the last one I had sounded like a cement mixer

I had also considered a Hattons 48xx (with auto gear) but they are only available with the weathered shirt button monogram, ideally I'd prefer one with 'GREAT WESTERN' lettering

Edited by chuffinghell

I had considered a Hornby 14xx and removing the traction tyres etc unfortunately they're not exactly very detailed

Wow, that's not what we thought when frist they came out under Airfix (Yikes about 40 years ago!! :O ) Mind we were comparing to the likes of Hornby's J83...

Your coaches look very good. You have inspired me to have a go at a pair that I have.

I recently bought an Airfix 14XX, because I found amongst a box of bit I was given, a Comet 14xx chassis that has been very well built using Romford wheels and Mashima motor.  I found a very good condition loco on ebay for £20 and have removed the original chassis.

The body is very well detailed and dimensions seem to be accurate, so I will turn up a new chimney, safety valve and smokebox door, replace any moulded handrails. Romove carefully the toolboxes, and fill the gaps. Then make new boxes and fit in the correct position.

Weathering I do myself,  using my airbrush or powders made from ground up chalk.  It works very well, and is a lot cheaper than buying commercially available powders.

Carry on your good work, and yes ancient rtr models can be tarted up to look really good.  I know the 14XX will.

Sometime when I have mastered the vagaries of posting photos on here you will see some of my work.

Cheers for now

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Although I’m a big believer in “less is more” I’m tempted to paint the axle box covers

I’m open to opinions and/or suggestions

The GWR Modelling Web pages have a section on coach liveries. This page mentions painting of axle boxes:  http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveriescoach1928.html  which might help you decide.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Wow, that's not what we thought when frist they came out under Airfix (Yikes about 40 years ago!! :O ) Mind we were comparing to the likes of Hornby's J83...

My apologies, I didn’t mean to offend.

I perhaps should have said “not very well detailed when compared to the DJ Models version”

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’ve had my suburbans re-weathered by Steve at Grimy Times

I felt that TMC’s weathering was a little flat and lifeless

Steve pays a lot more attention to detail, even applying powers in the door gaps and grim on the roof

654EAF79-4B2C-4293-BB4F-85C985200743.jpeg

D338E431-96F3-4DF8-AEB2-48112299349F.jpeg

591AF3BC-0E8B-447A-B2F4-9A1F00A3ECBB.jpeg

0C861307-20E5-436C-8A96-B38DD5088A50.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not a steam-era modeller, nor do I have any particular interest in the GWR, but they look superb.  The weathering, as you say, is excellent and they look to have a real 'weight' about them.  

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, JDW said:

I'm not a steam-era modeller, nor do I have any particular interest in the GWR, but they look superb.  The weathering, as you say, is excellent and they look to have a real 'weight' about them.  

Thank you

I sometimes wish I didn’t model the steam-era and/or had an interest in GWR

I often wonder if I should have modelled later/modern-era diesels

• RMweb Gold

On 14/12/2018 at 14:35, george stein said:

Checking various fora it seems Hornby released a version with the wrong bogies.  Got mine off ebay, so dude was unloading Hornby's error.  Will get the right bogies.  Again, thanks for the helpful info.

On 15/12/2018 at 14:50, BernardTPM said:

There was a batch built in 1933 to dia.E145 with 9ft plate bogies (like the type Airfix used under most of their other GWR coaches and Siphons). The bodywork was identical to the E141 design by Airfix/Hornby.

Hornby made the gaff of putting BR Mk1 bogies under the B Sets, not the 9ft plate bogies.

• RMweb Gold
On 23/02/2019 at 18:39, chuffinghell said:

I felt that TMC’s weathering was a little flat and lifeless

I'm glad you've seen and said that, I didn't really want to mention it before as you seemed happy with their work. I've never rated their work, they just seem to waft a bit of muck colour on with an airbrush and call it "weathering". I think airbrushing is just one part of a toolset you need for decent weathering. Glad you got some good results with Grimy Times, they look a lot better now.

Hope your confidence levels are rising nicely now, you made a great job of all the upgrades on these coaches.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 57xx said:

...........I didn't really want to mention it before as you seemed happy with their work.

I have been reasonably happy with their work it just lacked something

It's appreciated that you didn't mention it at the time as it would have no doubt knocked the wind out of my sails even though you would have been quite correct :)

3 hours ago, 57xx said:

Glad you got some good results with Grimy Times, they look a lot better now.

Yes they do look a lot better, I'm very pleased with them

3 hours ago, 57xx said:

Hope your confidence levels are rising nicely now, you made a great job of all the upgrades on these coaches.

Thank you. I'm getting there, especially with the positive comments for members like yourself

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

R4549 & R4549A

R4549.JPG

Even I can see that they look ridiculous!  Especially with those six foot long couplings.  How on earth did they manage that?!