Planet Industrials - 4mm:ft industrial kits and details

cornelius

Despite the world in crisis, the world of Model Railways continues, in some ways oblivious to the situation,  and certainly providing some mindful distraction from the worries and stresses of real life...

IMG_0671.jpg

In that mind, I'm pleased to share the latest in the Planet Industrials range, a model I've hinted at for a few weeks, the NCB style post 1951 cab Barclay, a follow up to the initial Devonport style cab release from earlier this year.

IMG_0672.jpg

It will be released early next month, exclusively through the Narrow Planet marketplace, stock is in place for the initial batch, although Covid-19 may interrupt further batches, or our ability to send it to you! These photos show the development prototype finished in the style of No.22 at Bowes, sadly out of boiler ticket.

IMG_0673.jpg

The transfers were designed by me specifically for the model, and set off the otherwise austere black livery quite nicely. The lettering is bespoke, drawn to match the prototypes sign written lettering exactly using photos of the original as a template. Although these are not on general sale, our own range of transfers gives a few lettering styles that would be suitable, expecially using PIC-005 in yellow.

IMG_0674.jpg

The price will be as per the Devonport cab, £25 including UK delivery, or £120 when purchased with a donor Hattons Barclay, of which we still have a limited stock, which post Covid-19 we will replenish. If you'd like to commission me to build you a model, I would appreciate the business at this time, do get in touch either through the forums or Facebook - or you can use the contact form on my website. More soon...

• Like 7

Thank you to all who have stopped by and placed an order in the last week. It's lovely to see examples popping up on social media. There are just over twenty four hours left to use the discount code, and lots more news to share in the coming weeks...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, clarkea1 said:

James,

Have I imagined it, or have I read somewhere that you're doing a Planet chassis kit?  I'm trying to decide if I hold off for this (assuming I haven't imagined it) as I'd prefer it to a Spud.

Cheers

Alastair

There are plans for a different type of chassis, but nothing announced yet. Facebook will be the first place for it to appear, but I'll post it here as well.

A few little announcements this week with a dockyard theme...

The Devonport Barclay cab conversion kit is now available with Devonport lining and marking transfers included, for an additional £15...

IMG_0182_1024x1024.jpg?v=1584706145

The Devonport van 58 rolling stock transfers are also now available, designed with reference to Paul Burkhalter's excellent book on the system they're styled for Van 58, which can be built from a Parkside or Ratio GWR Gunpowder van. They can also be used on other items, I've applied them to a 7 plank wagon shown here to good effect, and matching, bar the number, another wagon on the system.

van_1024x1024.jpg?v=1585908158

7plank_1024x1024.jpg?v=1585908158

Have a good weekend...

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The NCB style cab (although of course used on Industrials in all types of service) is now available in the Narrow Planet marketplace: https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/collections/planet-industrials/products/pil-002b

IMG_0672.jpg

Why not pair it with a set of our yellow NCB markings, PIC-005, also available here: https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/collections/planet-industrials/products/pic-005

(Note: our prototype shown displays custom transfers depicting Bowes no.22, not available on sheet PIC-005)

Edited by James Hilton
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...

Our PIL-004 Peckett Post-date kit is now available through the Narrow Planet marketplace for just £35 including UK delivery.

The Peckett 'W class' was a long lived 0-4-0ST design from the Bristol manufacturer, from the W2 from 1884 to the W7 in 1938. Hornby's W4 is a turn of the century design and our conversion kit provides a later style cab and steel buffer beams to post-date the model and represent a later example, within the possibilities of using the existing chassis and saddle tank.

The kit is comprised of a fret of etched details and 3D printed plastic parts. Basic preparation has already been completed so all holes should be open, and the roof surface has been smoothed. We recommend sparing use of liquid superglue for adding the roof etch and details, ideally using a bottle with a thin applicator nozzle.

https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/collections/planet-industrials/products/pil-004

IMG_1267_1024x1024.jpg?v=1599579125

• Like 7

Lovely to see one of them nearing completion, you've done a pretty neat job on that and don't think I've seen one in that combo yet (front shunter step, original 2 window cab) although I know plenty of prototypes were like that.

Steve and I have had a busy weekend with both the new Peckett kit and the recent crossing gates selling through the launch stock! We're re-stocking this week. In the meantime, work continues on other kits, and I've an update on the Clayton to share...

The prototype Clayton 25t model I shared a few months ago has been waiting on a few extra etch parts I wanted to check before pushing forward with finalising the kit design...

IMG_1278.jpeg

These arrived last week, so were cut out and cleaned up. The biggest visual difference is the front and rear handrails. These are etched, so are not round like the prototype, but I think the compromise is worth it for the accuracy of shape and ease of fitting. They just glue into holes in the chassis! The step edges also arrived on the same etch, along with the missing cab front.

IMG_1279.jpeg

Once all these were cleaned up and fitted I blasted the model with a few light coats of primer to see how she looked, and things are looking very promising. These raw photos show there is some work to do in terms of finishing the sides of the Shapeways Frosted Ultra Detail plastic frames, and tidying up some glue marks here and there before painting it white, then BRIGHT YELLOW! Yes, I'm doing it as the prototype at Devonport so it will be nice and shiny, and well looked after... in the meantime, I've a few small changes to make to parts, and I need to decide on how to mount the chassis, but then it's ready for production - originally planned for late 2020, we'll see, if may slip slightly to 2021 as I've got the Hibberd chassis to finalise in the meantime. 

IMG_1281.jpeg

Perfect for your Accurascale nuclear flask wagons, perhaps even as a load on the back of a lorry, if these do well I will look at offering the larger Cross Rail 40t example. In the meantime, the Planet Industrials Facebook page is kept up to date, more soon...

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

49 minutes ago, ColinK said:Wonder if even a novice like me could build it?

That’s the intention! It’s designed as a starter kit, aimed at new kit builders, and hopefully easy enough to get running but hard enough to give confidence to try something more involved...

• Like 2

David if you can point me in the direction of a prototype to look at I will see what might be possible. When I’ve looked the older Barclays are too different to just rely on a cab change, but it’s an easy one to do...

In the meantime, we’ve another Barclay cab, Lady Morvyth of the Pensnett Railway that will be released in the coming weeks...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, James Hilton said:

That’s the intention! It’s designed as a starter kit, aimed at new kit builders, and hopefully easy enough to get running but hard enough to give confidence to try something more involved...

i better order one once they are available.

1 hour ago, James Hilton said:

David if you can point me in the direction of a prototype to look at I will see what might be possible. When I’ve looked the older Barclays are too different to just rely on a cab change, but it’s an easy one to do...

Thanks James, I’ve got a few here:

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/andrew-barclay-works-no-1680-nora-no-5-0-4-0st/

https://www.philt.org.uk/Industrial/Ind-Steam/i-mVxprhr

https://www.philt.org.uk/Industrial/Ind-Steam/i-f2cMjSb

I’m sure others who are interested would be willing to find more.

Cheers,

David