Nice work on the chopping down Gibbo, i have spotted Peters Spares on Ebay are selling the 30ft boxes in their component parts pretty cheap if any one fancies a bash. Ill probably get a couple in readiness to chop to 20ft.

Cheers

James

Nice work on the chopping down Gibbo, i have spotted Peters Spares on Ebay are selling the 30ft boxes in their component parts pretty cheap if any one fancies a bash. Ill probably get a couple in readiness to chop to 20ft.

Cheers

James

Cheers

James

Hi Folks,

As Pullman lining isn't flavour currently I have proceeded with Freightliner boxes.

I have made up the grappling pockets for the 10' and 30' boxes and also liveried them as the red stripe version of Freightliner. The original pockets were first sanded off and a strip of .020" plasticard was glued in place which was also filled flush once cured. I measured the reinforcing faces if the lift pockets on one of my other boxes and made sixteen new ones from .010" plasticard, these were then glued into position. Once in position and cured I carefully cut away the pocket under the reinforcing facings. With the 10' boxes below the pockets are set just in from the ends and the 30' boxes I transferred the measurements form the 30' insulated boxes

DSCF0916.JPG.4db8a57b1f449a560aa951085d71f51f.JPG

Shewing the reinforcing brackets of the lift pockets.

Since the above photograph was taken the ends of the lift pockets have been reduced slightly and the top corners rounded off also.

One type of box that is not strictly accurate for Freightliner use are the two Knightwing 20' boxes which I built as something a little different but as they have the look of the types of boxes in use from the mid 1960' until the 1980's I thought that they would look the part. There is a similar looking yet unbranded container box in the below link being lifted by a Coles crane.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brfreightliner/h12C9990D#h12c9990d

DSCF0919.JPG.b5ce1ecc6421409832d4d9cc8263014c.JPG

From left to right, early 30', insulated 30', spurious 20', early 20', early 10'.

The only type of box that is missing from the above line up is the 20' insulated box which I intend to be finished as one each OCL and Manchester Liners. As all of the boxes that are to liveried Freightliner are now painted all that remains is to apply the transfers which are in the post from Railtec.

Gibbo.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

As Pullman lining isn't flavour currently I have proceeded with Freightliner boxes.

I have made up the grappling pockets for the 10' and 30' boxes and also liveried them as the red stripe version of Freightliner. The original pockets were first sanded off and a strip of .020" plasticard was glued in place which was also filled flush once cured. I measured the reinforcing faces if the lift pockets on one of my other boxes and made sixteen new ones from .010" plasticard, these were then glued into position. Once in position and cured I carefully cut away the pocket under the reinforcing facings. With the 10' boxes below the pockets are set just in from the ends and the 30' boxes I transferred the measurements form the 30' insulated boxes

DSCF0916.JPG.4db8a57b1f449a560aa951085d71f51f.JPG

Shewing the reinforcing brackets of the lift pockets.

Since the above photograph was taken the ends of the lift pockets have been reduced slightly and the top corners rounded off also.

One type of box that is not strictly accurate for Freightliner use are the two Knightwing 20' boxes which I built as something a little different but as they have the look of the types of boxes in use from the mid 1960' until the 1980's I thought that they would look the part. There is a similar looking yet unbranded container box in the below link being lifted by a Coles crane.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brfreightliner/h12C9990D#h12c9990d

DSCF0919.JPG.b5ce1ecc6421409832d4d9cc8263014c.JPG

From left to right, early 30', insulated 30', spurious 20', early 20', early 10'.

The only type of box that is missing from the above line up is the 20' insulated box which I intend to be finished as one each OCL and Manchester Liners. As all of the boxes that are to liveried Freightliner are now painted all that remains is to apply the transfers which are in the post from Railtec.

Gibbo.

You ain't gotta 27 footer.

Gibbo more than likely knows this but I will clarify my statement for others.  When the first freightliners came into service the maximum permitted artic  length limited trailers to 27 ft so the early boxes were only 27 ft. The railway knew that the maximum length for artic lorries was going to be increased so built the freightliner flats ready for 30 ft containers. There was a time lapse of about a year and half before the new road regulations came into force but it was long enough for 27 foot containers to be in use. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

46 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

You ain't gotta 27 footer.

Gibbo more than likely knows this but I will clarify my statement for others.  When the first freightliners came into service the maximum permitted artic  length limited trailers to 27 ft so the early boxes were only 27 ft. The railway knew that the maximum length for artic lorries was going to be increased so built the freightliner flats ready for 30 ft containers. There was a time lapse of about a year and half before the new road regulations came into force but it was long enough for 27 foot containers to be in use. 

Hi Clive,

You are quite correct in that I know of the 27' boxes and also thanks for pointing it out for the benefit of those that may not know.

In the below links are photographs and descriptions of the 27' boxes some were of the older Speedfrieght design and have dimensions of 27' long X 8' wide X 7' 4" high which made them 8" lower than the boxes that I have modelled. There are also 27' X 8' X 8' boxes that at first glance look just like the 30' boxes above, these are easy to spot when loaded in pairs on a standard FFA / FGA toe wagon as there is a large gap between the ends of the boxes, I would guess at  40" for two 27' boxes and 24" for a 27' and a 30'  when on a flat.

http://www.igg.org.uk/rail/6-livy/br/9-br-6475.htm

http://www.igg.org.uk/rail/5-unit/unitload1.htm

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brfreightliner

I shall in time get around to building some of the Speedfreight types as shewn in the Paul Bartlett link for my prototype set of Freightliner flats pictured below. This will give me the opportunity to have the silver and yellow Speedfrieght, along with both the red and blue strip Freightliner liveries on the same types of boxes. There are also some different styles of 10' and 20' boxes one of which had a bauxite and yellow Speedfreight liverybut more research is in order before I start down that road.

DSCF0345.JPG.be41032d3deb3273dfda2556a86aaed5.JPG

Prototype spine framed Freightliner wagons built at Shildon in 1964.

What I don't know is whether or not the type of 20' shewn in the above photograph were ever painted in the silver and yellow Speedfreight livery and also if the 27' versions were also or did they just carry the familiar red stripe livery.

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Spelling
  • Like 2

Nice work Gibbo, i was mulling over doing 10 27 and 30ft variants yesterday whilst riding around the East Lancs, definately will be doing a 10fter and 27/30ft very soon as looks like i have something at the local post office depot.

As for silver and yellow ones in the Hornby 20ft classic style, id love to see a pic if it happened but i think the speed freight liveried ones were of a different (earlier?) Style, im sure i read it somewhere but not sure where now. More research required as you say, nice livery to portray.

Cheers

James

2 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Nice work Gibbo, i was mulling over doing 10 27 and 30ft variants yesterday whilst riding around the East Lancs, definately will be doing a 10fter and 27/30ft very soon as looks like i have something at the local post office depot.

As for silver and yellow ones in the Hornby 20ft classic style, id love to see a pic if it happened but i think the speed freight liveried ones were of a different (earlier?) Style, im sure i read it somewhere but not sure where now. More research required as you say, nice livery to portray.

Cheers

James

Hi James,

What I have found is a photograph within this gallery:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brfreightlinercontainer/h3D325862#had0d462

The container featured is 05B06 which is the first one of a batch of three 20' built at Derby in 1964 as lot 3520, diagram 3/031. Behind the lorry cab is 00A04 which is a 10' and was also built at Derby in 1964 lot 3521, diagram 3/008, this is in Speedfreight livery. It is my guess that, having read my books and had a think, it seems reasonable that along with the lot 3521 there is box 05B05 which was just one from lot 3509 to the preceding diagram of 3/030 and may have been finished in speed freight as lot 3521.

The other number that can be seen seems to be 05B10 which was in a following batch of six 20' also built at Derby lot 3520, diagram 3/031 and is the same livery as 05B06 which makes sense as it is from a following lot.

By the look of how clean and new everything looks on the photograph, it is possible that at the time most of BR's new type containers would all fit on one train at once, the photograph does have a look of publicity shot about it.

So far I have discovered that Freightliner operated twenty nine different classifications of container including three demonstrator tank wagons and the seven cabooses of which there were two different types.

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Information about the link provided
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

What I have found is this photograph:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brfreightlinercontainer/h3D325862#had0d462

The container featured is 05B06 which is the first one of a batch of three 20' built at Derby in 1964 as lot 3520, diagram 3/031. Behind the lorry cab is 00A04 which is a 10' and was also built at Derby in 1964 lot 3521, diagram 3/008, this is in Speedfreight livery. It is my guess that, having read my books and had a think, it seems reasonable that along with the lot 3521 there is box 05B05 which was just one from lot 3509 to the preceding diagram of 3/030 and may have been finished in speed freight as lot 3521.

The other number that can be seen seems to be 05B10 which was in a following batch of six 20' also built at Derby lot 3520, diagram 3/031 and is the same livery as 05B06 which makes sense as it is from a following lot.

By the look of how clean and new everything looks on the photograph, it is possible that at the time most of BR's new type containers would all fit on one train at once, the photograph does have a look of publicity shot about it.

So far I have discovered that Freightliner operated twenty nine different classifications of container including three demonstrator tank wagons and the seven cabooses of which there were two different types.

Gibbo.

Nice detective work although the pic link is taking me to a Hoyer one? Ill have a trawl through Bartlett again as i think i know the pic from the description. 

Cheers

James

Found the pic and a couple more in another gallery of the different livery, although a different style box

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brfreightliner/h2667e64a

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brfreightliner/h2999ddee

Gibbos pic from above:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brfreightlinercontainer/had0d462

So i think from these pics we could have a bash at the livery which would be close enough

Edited by jessy1692
Link

13 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Found the pic and a couple more in another gallery of the different livery, although a different style box

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brfreightliner/h2667e64a

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brfreightliner/h2999ddee

Gibbos pic from above:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brfreightlinercontainer/had0d462

So i think from these pics we could have a bash at the livery which would be close enough

Hi James,

I've been looking in books again and on page 99 of Freightliner, Life and Times by Michael J Collins there is a photograph in the back ground shewing a horizontally ribbed aluminium box. The paint scheme suggests that it is longer than 10' so is not likely 00A03/4/5 and therefore may well be 05B05. this is the only photograph I can find that suggest that 05B05 was liveried in Speedfreight but certainly looks promising.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

Just now, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

I've been looking in books again and on page 99 of Freightliner, Life and Times by Michael J Collins there is a photograph in the back ground shewing a horizontally ribbed aluminium box. The paint scheme suggests that it is longer than 10' so is not likely 00A03/4/5 and therefore may well be 05B05. this is the only photograph I can find that suggest that 05B05 was liveried in Speedfreight but certainly looks promising.

Gibbo.

Nice one, will have a look through when i get to my dads next, be a nice change to a red stripe. 

My dad has found one of them bookazine things on freightliners but the publisher escapes me now, hes going to put an order in soon so hopefully may turn up some new pics.

Cheers for info

James

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

The transfers for the Freightliner boxes arrived this morning, six sheets of branding and two sheets of numbers, I have applied almost all of them to all thirty eight boxes. This means all together I have applied three hundred and four today for earlier in the week I did the data panels and the branding on the blue stripe boxes which came to eighty four, making three hundred and eighty eight all together. The total ought to be three hundred and ninety but I only had four Insulated transfers for three insulated boxes so two short.

All the same here are the results:

DSCF0926.JPG.3b0b34ad0be34a8a42dc34d2754dc942.JPG

Shewing 10' (2 off), 20' (12 off) and 30' (2 off) boxes with Freightliner branding. 

DSCF0927.JPG.141d1f05fd771f36fd611bc0d0716cb9.JPG

Two 30' insulated boxes one Freightliner (2 off) and one Freightliners limited (1 off).

DSCF0928.JPG.d588238e1a37d2c9a51d0c07912e1641.JPG

Three 20' boxes, Freightliners Limited (13 off), a spurious Knighting box branded Freightliner (2 off) and an Irish ferry service box with the blue stripe (4 off).

Despite the Knightwing box being of a made up type I feel it looks the part and compliments the standard type boxes well some of which aren't strictly accurate all the same.

Having checked up on the number series of the transfers the 14L number series were 20' boxes built at derby in 1968 diagram 3/195 lot 3656 totaling 250, I don't actually know what these particular boxes look like with out trawling through photographs. The Hornby 20' box is a Type B non ISO box diagram 3/031 of which there were only 119 built altogether over all lots.

Within the transfer sheet for the numbers there are "S" and "T" codes, "S" is for 20' side door boxes and "T" is for 20' flats for steel coil. Fortunately I'm not overly bothered by number series on wagons, so long as they have numbers and look the part they will do for me. Should you look closely at the above photographs you will see two sets of duplicate numbers, I should have looked a little more closely when choosing boxes to photograph.

I shall varnish them another day.

Gibbo.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

8 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

The transfers for the Freightliner boxes arrived this morning, six sheets of branding and two sheets of numbers, I have applied almost all of them to all thirty eight boxes. This means all together I have applied three hundred and four today for earlier in the week I did the data panels and the branding on the blue stripe boxes which came to eighty four, making three hundred and eighty eight all together. The total ought to be three hundred and ninety but I only had four Insulated transfers for three insulated boxes so two short.

All the same here are the results:

DSCF0926.JPG.3b0b34ad0be34a8a42dc34d2754dc942.JPG

Shewing 10' (2 off), 20' (12 off) and 30' (2 off) boxes with Freightliner branding. 

DSCF0927.JPG.141d1f05fd771f36fd611bc0d0716cb9.JPG

Two 30' insulated boxes one Freightliner (2 off) and one Freightliners limited (1 off).

DSCF0928.JPG.d588238e1a37d2c9a51d0c07912e1641.JPG

Three 20' boxes, Freightliners Limited (13 off), a spurious Knighting box branded Freightliner (2 off) and an Irish ferry service box with the blue stripe (4 off).

Despite the Knightwing box being of a made up type I feel it looks the part and compliments the standard type boxes well some of which aren't strictly accurate all the same.

Having checked up on the number series of the transfers the 14L number series were 20' boxes built at derby in 1968 diagram 3/195 lot 3656 totaling 250, I don't actually know what these particular boxes look like with out trawling through photographs. The Hornby 20' box is a Type B non ISO box diagram 3/031 of which there were only 119 built altogether over all lots.

Within the transfer sheet for the numbers there are "S" and "T" codes, "S" is for 20' side door boxes and "T" is for 20' flats for steel coil. Fortunately I'm not overly bothered by number series on wagons, so long as they have numbers and look the part they will do for me. Should you look closely at the above photographs you will see two sets of duplicate numbers, I should have looked a little more closely when choosing boxes to photograph.

I shall varnish them another day.

Gibbo.

Now that is a marathon transfer session! I do like them 30ft red stripe boxes. When i get round to printing some more up ill do some insulated ones too as ill need some more. Top job as ever Gibbo

James

Edit, just realised you have put numbers on the tops too! Never clocked that before, dont know if i can face going back over mine now...

Edited by jessy1692
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Now that is a marathon transfer session! I do like them 30ft red stripe boxes. When i get round to printing some more up ill do some insulated ones too as ill need some more. Top job as ever Gibbo

James

Edit, just realised you have put numbers on the tops too! Never clocked that before, dont know if i can face going back over mine now...

Hi James,

Did you not realise that there were six identification numbers for a reason, how many spares do you need !?!?!

With regard marathon transfer sessions, as you can see it was raining yesterday:

DSCF0932.JPG.3d165381c167469ed431acc7bc5ce5ef.JPG

East end of my street.

DSCF0933.JPG.aa10cf551b4f41174bae6e55b10de107.JPG

West end of my street.

Gibbo.

• Friendly/supportive 5

3 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

Did you not realise that there were six identification numbers for a reason, how many spares do you need !?!?!

With regard marathon transfer sessions, as you can see it was raining yesterday:

DSCF0932.JPG.3d165381c167469ed431acc7bc5ce5ef.JPG

East end of my street.

DSCF0933.JPG.aa10cf551b4f41174bae6e55b10de107.JPG

West end of my street.

Gibbo.

I never counted them in my hast to apply them haha! I was chopping them up to make new numbers and never twigged! Lesson learned..

Now that is a lot of water coming down, i assume its been raining all night here too, wind has certainly been howling as it woke me up a few times. 

Hi Folks,

I have been busy with Mk1's recently as I have just opened yet another box full of nearly started stuff in between getting on with painting three more Pullman cars. The Pullman cars are Car 68, Belinda and Thelma, not much to shew although the masking tape came off with out any problems which is a bonus.

The work concerning Mk1's is a continuation of an almighty cut and shut session about three years ago when I ended up with 38 Mk1's of various types. The main cutting and shutting involved cutting fourteen BSK's into two and gluing them back to back to end up with seven BG's and seven SK's. The BG's required the underframes and roof sections to be shortened to the correct 57' foot length.

The bogies have had their wheel sets changed for 14mm ones which are correct for the 3' 6" wheels of the originals. For the BR1 bogies I fitted a reducing bush made from .1875" Plastruct tube to better accept the bogie pivot and with BR4 bogies I filled out the centres completely and glued on a two piece s of 15mm x15mm plasticard one of .080" and one of .020" through which I drilled a 3mm hole filed to suit the pivot pin. The reason for altering the B4 bogie that the original centres were damaged. 

Two other underframe jobs are that the Hornby Mk1 underframe has an incorrect bogie position and also the ride height is to great and needs to reduced to 51mm which approximates to 12' 9.5". The ride height is compounded by the fitting of larger wheels so the moving of the pivot has been done in conjunction with the reduction in ride height.

The original pivot was removed using a burr in the Dremel the hole cleaned up. I then made a scribe mark on the underside of the sole bars 1.25" from the back side of the buffer beam which gives the correct bogie centre. The next job was to cut out some rectangles 24mm X 15mm of .060" plasticard which were then glued into position over the hole making sure that their centre line was about the scribe marks. Once cured I marked out the centres using the scribe marks and then drilled a 2.75mm hole that I filed so that a 9mm long piece of .125" Plastruct was a tight push fit into the hole that was then glued into position.

The plan is that out of seven BG's two will be mounted on B4's for use in 100mph trains and the others on BR1's:

• M92037 Blue Grey B4
  • M92065 Blue Grey B4
  • M81291 Blue Grey B1
  • M8142 Blue Grey B1
  • M81513 Blue Grey B1
  • M84043 Blue B1
  • M80774 Blue B1

So far all but one has had their bogies fitted except for one as I only had 3 B4 bogies, if anyone has an early type Hornby B4 that would be willing to send on I would be most grateful.

DSCF0942.JPG.af694e8221712ef5b490d861943a127a.JPG

Left mounted on BR1 bogies, right mounted on B4 bogies.

DSCF0943.JPG.bbf42595ff77cea80d80fabc4cf5db76.JPG

Left is the BR 1 with the reducing bush and right the altered B4 bogie. The black square around the bogie pivot on the left hand coach is a .010" shim to allow for the correct ride height.

While on with BG's I had a ratch in the Pullman box and came out with my 50' Pullman Baggage cars which have been made from leftovers from cutting and shutting Pullmans. The duckets have been removed from one end and the recessed door plated over and brought out to the full width of the carriage profile with modified rain strip added.

I had originally done one as a 65' on a standard underframe but it looked too long and considered a 57' but the windows were in the wrong place and wouldn't have been equidistant from the doors so the 50' was created, the original 65' being cut down yesterday. Pointless but fun !

DSCF0944.JPG.5cf7ce3edd5efad15254b99ae0f571ea.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 6

Hi Folks,

This post contains a project that covers both coaches and Freightlners at the same time in that I have painted a BR Mk1 suburban brake into Rail Grey to be used instead of the caboose dependent upon period modelled. It needs some buffers as it must have had a rough shunt before I got hold of it and it will be numbered B963919 formally M53257. The plain grey is quite odd and I'm surprised that red stripes were not applied to compliment the containers but such as they were.

DSCF0946.JPG.8e54fe31bc38f953879a86b660c29dbb.JPG

B963919.

The other job involved Pullman cars which have had roof vents fitted and a first coat of Humbrol 191 cars so far attended are 54, 62, 66, 107 and Belinda. For interest the first four are Standard K type and the other is an all steel K type cars which is why the roofs have different styles to them.

DSCF0947.JPG.c141c2bc88a487820ab4075c81433481.JPG

54, 62, 66, 107 and Belinda.

Two more Pullman have entered the paint shop, cars 73 and 74, both of which are all steel K types. 

Gibbo.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Folks,

Mainly painting Pullman cars, third class cars 73 and 74 have had their cream applied and masking removed along, also first class parlour cars Agatha, Shelia and Ursula have had second coat of umber. Of the cars that have their roof vents fitted a second coat of paint has been applied to their roofs, I need to order some more torpedo vents to finish off the set and also for my Mk1's that are nearly started. Only the all steel brake car have yet to be painted.

Were I have been able to find out the colour of the upholstery of the cars modelled I have painted the seating appropriately, I have used BR bauxite for the fine marquetry panelling !

Out of the fourteen car shewn in the photograph below other than roof vents only four are completely unaltered from original condition those being the first class parlour cars and one of the all steel brake cars. My nearly started kitchen is also seen in the background.

DSCF0952.JPG.ed7e1b207a8ffbc4d4b618e956f4137c.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 9

Hi Folks,

I'm back working upon container boxes again.

In a joint project with James of @jessy1692 I have been making various boxes to be used with transfer sets that he is making up. so far we have establised that there were containers that were very similar in form to the Hornby 30' box that were of 20' and 40' lengths that carried Manchester Liners, OCL, and Scotch Beef for Sainsburys. There was also a Freightliner version of a similar box designated type P of which I might do later.

I bought five 30' box and roof mouldings from Peter's Spares, an absolute bargain at £0.99 per item to be cut and shut into more 20' boxes. After a bit of measuring and planning I worked out that if I made a mark with my knife 79.5mm from the door end and used this to guide my razor saw I could get two usable sections. The longer section at 79,5mm works out at the same length as a standard Hornby 20' box and with a blanking end let into the box gives me one box and the off cut could then be joined to another similar off cut to make a 20' box also. By doing this I managed to make three 20' boxes from two 30' boxes. The only problem, which is a minor one is that the short off cuts have blank ends at both ends. I shall cut the ends out and fit doors in good time.

As I had discovered that I could get more boxes than I originally thought I decided that two 30' boxes would be made up as Ford boxes to go with the other four I have already built and one would be made into a spurious 27' Freightliner box as a compliment to my two 20' Knightwing boxes that were liveried as Freightliner. I plan to use this on my prototype set of wagons.

The first two conversions were made by cutting the blank end off a box removing a section and then sticking the end back on this resulted in the loss of a short section of the box:

DSCF0960.JPG.0a4f00bad8a87f6cfd62afea2799c1f9.JPG

Batch 1 with refitted blank ends and home made doors.

The ones that I did today that had the ends let into them also had a make up strip attached to the bottom of the end of the box and also some corner castings fitted to match the front end. The framing was represented by a strip of .010" plasticard glued along the edge of the blank end:

DSCF0958.JPG.4157b3b184d230ce7001118fba3abb0d.JPG

Batch 2 with new blank ends and framing details made from .010" plasticard.

The three boxes made up from the short off cuts required careful attention with a file to get them to fit up squarely and have also required a lot of sanding to get the sides to be flat and smooth across the joint in the panel. As the panel is recessed it is difficult to file unlike the roof which presents no such problems. The main bother is that a recess for the doors needs to be cut into two of them due to how the off cuts worked out:

DSCF0959.JPG.2c2722c69c4c59222793c2dcd44d31cf.JPG

Batch 3 utilising the short blank ends.

The 40' box was made in the same way as the 20' boxes except that the pieces were 79.5mm long to start with giving a total length of 159mm:

DSCF0961.JPG.5d6149cbf26ce8547570465e97ca3d72.JPG

One detail that is not overly obvious is that I filled in the lift pockets with short strips of .020" plasticard, after the glue had cured I filled the plasticard and the outline of the moulded bracket flush with the box framing.

This last box was a spur of the moment decision based on the fact that due to good fortune with the way I had planned my cuts I ended up with all the boxes I originally envisaged with three 30' boxes remaining. As mentioned, two will be converted to Ford Boxes and the third has been made into a spurious 27' box to match the style of the Knightwing boxes.

To do this I cut the end off and then cut out a section 11.75mm long and then filed and refitted the end bringing the length of the box to 108mm. The lift pockets were filled in as with all the other boxes and once the glue had cured all of the framing detail was filed flush. A .060" strip of plasticard was glued into the rebate along both side of the base box protruding further than reuired so as to file back to leave it .020" proud. New frame sections were made from .020" and glued to the edges of the sides and blank end of the box, once the glue had cured it was all filed back to give a neat finish ad then using the Knight wing box as a guide I marked the positions of the ribs which were made from .020" micro-strip:

DSCF0962.JPG.72f48e61012d3bafc7d11997b50a0e72.JPG

The 27' box along side the 20' Knightwing box that was the inspiration for it.

Gibbo.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Lovely stuff there Gibbo, im.a little behind you but will be ordering some more boxes soon. For the ML 20fters are you going to cut the central forklift holes into the bottom edge? I was thinking of this today and the best way to do it without jeopardising the joints. Quite a prominent feature of the ML ones.

All the best

James

Hi Folks,

Following a post by @BernardTPM on @Darius43 Freightliner based thread I got busy after with the red paint and finished off my Triang open flat containers. they containers had already been been painted Rail Grey and the flooring done a dark brown for the planking but the ends had puzzled me so  with information gleaned this evening the job is now complete except for transfers.

DSCF0963.JPG.df5779e204c2e2f3a816500a2908ef3d.JPG

At the other end of the scale I have painted the first coat of Cream on the three first class Pullman parlour cars.

Gibbo.

• Like 4

Hi Folks,

I've been painting Pullmans and the class 82 along with putting the Arrows of Indescision on the Freightliner flats from the previous post. However the main job was to fit doors to the double blank ended 20' insulated container boxes and then add door detail to all the boxes that had new doors fitted. I would have bought doors from Peter's Spares out of laziness except that they only had left hand doors available which would have looked a lot worse than my home made attempts made from .030" and some bits of micro strip.

DSCF0964.JPG.150ac1e5734b8f3286b3c27b7fac0714.JPG

One has a wonky handle and on another the locking bars are too close together, I can always mount them doors inward on the flat wagons !

The transfers for most of that lot are  in the process of manufacture and so they might be finished within a week or so. That would represent a quicker turn around than my class 82 which was started in 1992 or there about.

Gibbo.

• Like 3