• 1 month later...
On 12/05/2020 at 09:04, Clive Mortimore said:

I have been told there is a cure for those of us who have too many unfinished DMUs and cannot stop starting new ones. I hope it isn't applied to me.

Hi Clive,

Despite the Vic Berry stack in the background I have managed to acquire a single car of a DC Kits Cravens 105 which will save me having to split a Cravens set to go with my Gloucester 100 hybrid set. It might get me going again with building and perhaps even finishing stuff off. A big order for transfers is in the offing once I get worked out which sheets I need. I did look at Railtech's list but lost my bit of paper with all the sheet numbers on so I shall have to work them all out again.

In other news test coach Iris is coming on quite well, it requires transfers and fitting to its chassis. The class 82 just doesn't have the same draw as the class 84 had for some reason, I do need to get on with all of that lot.

DSCF1048.JPG.87050f55a5e942a1de2910664f40a637.JPG

Test Car Iris.

Gibbo.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 01/07/2020 at 18:46, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Despite the Vic Berry stack in the background I have managed to acquire a single car of a DC Kits Cravens 105 which will save me having to split a Cravens set to go with my Gloucester 100 hybrid set. It might get me going again with building and perhaps even finishing stuff off. A big order for transfers is in the offing once I get worked out which sheets I need. I did look at Railtech's list but lost my bit of paper with all the sheet numbers on so I shall have to work them all out again.

In other news test coach Iris is coming on quite well, it requires transfers and fitting to its chassis. The class 82 just doesn't have the same draw as the class 84 had for some reason, I do need to get on with all of that lot.

DSCF1048.JPG.87050f55a5e942a1de2910664f40a637.JPG

Test Car Iris.

Gibbo.

Looking good. I'm thinking of looking for a blue 105 body to replace one of my Bachy green fye ones to match photos. I could repaint one of them but it would mean doing the glazing bars too. Need to check which end needs to be blue first....

Martyn.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Not only have I finally got on and done something I have decided that building DMU's was getting a bit much so I have swapped to applying transfers to an EMU instead. I decide upon a mega transfer application session with my cut and shut Brighton Belle set, the paint job was finished some time ago along with fourteen other K-type Pullmans that are also now ready for transfers. The K-types may have to wait for me have the will to do such a fiddly job, I might do three batches to make life easier.

The set represents 5-Bel No. 3053 which has been decorated with HMRS presfix for all but the car number, with the car names and numbers form Railtec. The biggest problem is getting the lining on straight, parallel and evenly spaced.

I have a small amount of lining around the cab windows to do and then fit the glazing and the job will be pretty much complete.

DSCF1062.JPG.c10c37365addd5ba14623e9574691e92.JPG

Car 92, Mona, Gwen.

DSCF1063.JPG.56edf460636f665519610025eee29e77.JPG

Car 93, Car 85, Gwen

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

On 21/07/2020 at 20:33, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

Not only have I finally got on and done something I have decided that building DMU's was getting a bit much so I have swapped to applying transfers to an EMU instead. I decide upon a mega transfer application session with my cut and shut Brighton Belle set, the paint job was finished some time ago along with fourteen other K-type Pullmans that are also now ready for transfers. The K-types may have to wait for me have the will to do such a fiddly job, I might do three batches to make life easier.

The set represents 5-Bel No. 3053 which has been decorated with HMRS presfix for all but the car number, with the car names and numbers form Railtec. The biggest problem is getting the lining on straight, parallel and evenly spaced.

I have a small amount of lining around the cab windows to do and then fit the glazing and the job will be pretty much complete.

DSCF1062.JPG.c10c37365addd5ba14623e9574691e92.JPG

Car 92, Mona, Gwen.

DSCF1063.JPG.56edf460636f665519610025eee29e77.JPG

Car 93, Car 85, Gwen

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo,

They look superb. I seem to be back doing locos at the moment, and not getting anywhere with my small Stabling Point layout, on which to run them. Hey ho!

Martyn.

• Thanks 1

HI Folks,

Here is the 5-BEL set 3053 seen hurrying by the camera at plywood cutting sometime this afternoon.

The glazing has now been fitted along with extra transfer details on the cab fronts and the fitting of the MU jumper cables, as yet I haven't fitted shackles for I don't have any. The glazing took a while as there are 182 separate pieces to fit. The glazing is Wills Flushglaze as produced for the Hornby Pullman cars from which the model is built, extra bits used for the guards double door windows are spares from a class 31 glazing set, the drivers doors are cut down Blue Pullman passenger door windows and the cab front windows are the body side windows of the guards vans for the Hornby Pullman brake coaches which was most fortunate.

The model is as yet un-motorised and may well stay that way, the other major compromise is that the cars are all 11mm too short. The reason for the cars being short is that to cut and shut in the extra length would have caused even more joins in the body sides along with a section of roof to be spliced in. To have corrected the length of the cars would have made the job considerably complicated in that the spacing all of the window is too close and I decided that is was not worth the effort. Minor compromises are that the vestibule end windows are rectangular instead of oval and the top lights are of the K-type Pullman that have four panes instead of the three panes that the 5-BEL sets had, the better part of 182 windows to alter was not going to happen !

DSCF1068.JPG.f74e9098ceb85af25dc421debdb649ea.JPG

Car 93.

DSCF1069.JPG.d6ab5174963931f10022234aa939ccec.JPG

Car 85.

DSCF1070.JPG.ffd6fb6c05e3891ce7f31fce15154304.JPG

Mona.

DSCF1071.JPG.25f46f25fe428b6e231f0ad24f0dd65e.JPG

Gwen.

DSCF1072.JPG.fcf781fe86728548bf255523b52f7559.JPG

Car 92.

As much as I have enjoyed building the 5-BEL it may be a while before I line out my fourteen K-Type Pullman cars.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Hi Folks,

While on the subject of self propelled Pullman trains here is one I made a few years back. It is yet another cut and shut, this one is a Blue Pullman built form the original Triang reverse Grey Blue Western Pullman, It is also seen at Plywood Cutting.

There are dimensional inaccuracies in that the car lengths are slightly short by 6mm but I don't much mind for it is neither here nor there unless I get my tape measure out !

DSCF1073.JPG.b1699a0ffa9fc29ff600527dfd4b8142.JPG

DSCF1074.JPG.03d22a39a4a1a34331d53951d0328edd.JPG

DSCF1075.JPG.ada06d6bd8ba1443e334e2ba4df0cf8c.JPG

DSCF1076.JPG.d343d330d7a33b9f894acb2326cb2363.JPG

DSCF1077.JPG.cef5fb4f3464be4732a3d6272620e7d5.JPG

DSCF1078.JPG.ea9bf0c4c9e6e45cb6d9f505db48f7d5.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Hi Folks,

After all that Pullman action here is the latest from the Pullman stable, it is a Manchester Pullman kitchen car.

DSCF1079.JPG.8c8e4a22aa8d41c25911b555b8a9148e.JPG

Sometime ago I won, very, very cheaply, an auction for nine appallingly badly repainted Airfix Mk2's. There were three BSO's, two FK's and four SO's, complete except that four were missing bogies and I decided an eight car Manchester Pullman set was in order. I did think that I might do a four car Liverpool Pullman and an AM10 from the stock but I decided against that as a full train would look far better and also that I may assemble a Liverpool Pullman from the greater number of coaches all the same.

The kitchen car is made form one of the three BSO's as the kitchen cars only had inset doors at one end. All I did was to remove the window frames and file the corners of the window apertures square and then fill them all up with .080" plasticard. Once this was done I marked out the windows and drilled and filled them out. To form the doors they were first cut out, filled flat and then refitted with the inset with strips of .010" plasticard to make up for the saw cuts. After the glue had cured I filled off the overly wide ends of the coach to match up with the inset of the doors.

The plan is to convert the other two BSO's as brake coaches and the two FO's and one of the SO's into Parlour cars, a second Kitchen car will be from an SO, this will leave me an SO to paint back into Blue Grey livery (or leave in a box with all the others for a long time !).

Looking at Hugh Longworths book, "BR Mk1 and Mk2 Coaching Stock" there as follows:

• Eight Kitchen First, PK.
  • Seven Brake First, PB.
  • Fourteen Parlour First, PC.

This allowed for two sets of eight made up from, two PK, two PB, and four PC  for Manchester, and two sets of four made up of, one PK, one PB, and two PC for Liverpool, leaving two PK, one PB and two PC caches as spare for maintenance.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Looking great Gibbo, I will be following this with interest.

I made six of the eight Manchester Pullman Mk2s using Judith Edge etched sides and Airfix Mk2ds.  One day I will get round to completing the final two coaches.

Railtec make decals for the later livery and Fox Transfers make the earlier P U L L M A N transfers and crests.

Cheers

Darius

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Looking great Gibbo, I will be following this with interest.

I made six of the eight Manchester Pullman Mk2s using Judith Edge etched sides and Airfix Mk2ds.  One day I will get round to completing the final two coaches.

Railtec make decals for the later livery and Fox Transfers make the earlier P U L L M A N transfers and crests.

Cheers

Darius

Hi Darius,

I'm taking a break from filling out windows as I type.

Thanks for the information about transfers, I shall look them up soon enough.

Gibbo.

On 08/02/2020 at 11:10, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

What I have found is a photograph within this gallery:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brfreightlinercontainer/h3D325862#had0d462

The container featured is 05B06 which is the first one of a batch of three 20' built at Derby in 1964 as lot 3520, diagram 3/031. Behind the lorry cab is 00A04 which is a 10' and was also built at Derby in 1964 lot 3521, diagram 3/008, this is in Speedfreight livery. It is my guess that, having read my books and had a think, it seems reasonable that along with the lot 3521 there is box 05B05 which was just one from lot 3509 to the preceding diagram of 3/030 and may have been finished in speed freight as lot 3521.

The other number that can be seen seems to be 05B10 which was in a following batch of six 20' also built at Derby lot 3520, diagram 3/031 and is the same livery as 05B06 which makes sense as it is from a following lot.

By the look of how clean and new everything looks on the photograph, it is possible that at the time most of BR's new type containers would all fit on one train at once, the photograph does have a look of publicity shot about it.

So far I have discovered that Freightliner operated twenty nine different classifications of container including three demonstrator tank wagons and the seven cabooses of which there were two different types.

Gibbo.

Hi.

Chanced on this picture this evening on Flickr which seems to include a different "take" on the container one you have linked to in your message above.  Not sure of any assistance or relevance to you, but thought it worth providing the link, just in case!  (I just happened to have looked through your thread earlier on Monday and reckoned this was the same subject).

The New Face of British Rail, 1964/5 - folder - freight 2

Edited by 26power
To add picture source as Flickr.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 26power said:

Hi.

Chanced on this picture this evening on Flickr which seems to include a different "take" on the container one you have linked to in your message above.  Not sure of any assistance or relevance to you, but thought it worth providing the link, just in case!  (I just happened to have looked through your thread earlier on Monday and reckoned this was the same subject).

The New Face of British Rail, 1964/5 - folder - freight 2

Hi There,

Great find, I do like such articles along with their pictures, the explanations properly inform and the pictures shew just what is used and how it is used.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Here is the latest instalment of the WCML Pullman car building extravaganza. I have so far cut out all of the windows for the PB brake coaches, one of which has been filled to finish size. Both cars as yet require alterations to form the inset doors and also razor saw grooves to demarcate the out line of the other doors upon the body sides.

DSCF1081.JPG.4d18a13607717e8631e1c6bffcc8d95a.JPG

WCML Pullman Brake Cars.

Gibbo.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gibbo,

For scribing door edge outlines I use an Olfa P Cutter scriber which I find much easier to use than a razor saw.  It also scribes metal surfaces - think MTK bodyshells.

I also used it to cut through thick plastic coach bodyshells as each pass removes a sliver of plastic and repeated passes will cut the plastic much easier and safer than a craft knife.  I used it to cut the big openings in the coach sides for the NIR 80 and 70 class coaches and the Manchester Pullman coaches before the etched sides were affixed.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

Gibbo, if you do motorise the 5bel, check out lendons of cardif, they have 2BIL motor bogies cheap ATM.

Lendons have some great bargains, iv been stockpiling the 59 power bogies to remotor my old Lima 47 stuff. Write up to follow as my blue Kestrel and Falcon have been re done and run silently, so glad to get rid of the pancake noise!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Folks,

As it has been raining again, more work on the toy trains.

I have filed all of the windows to finish size on the PB brake cars along with insetting the passenger doors of the PB's. There are various other filling and filing jobs on the body sides of both the PB and PK cars these being the bottoms of the doors and also the grooves that shew the outline of the doors. The bottoms of the doors were attended to with .030" plasticard rectangles, the grooves of the doors were made deeper with a razor saw into which .010" plasticard strips were inserted end on. Once cured they were shaved back and then filed flat to the body side, a lot easier than filler. These may be seen below as the white lines running up the body sides, I grooved out the door outlines for newly positioned doors at the same time.

DSCF1082.JPG.b62cfc6b3ccc5b4522aeed557fabf706.JPG

To the rear the Kitchen Cars and to the fore the Brake Cars with the newly inset passenger doors, The guards van doors have yet to be grooved.

DSCF1083.JPG.9c9d0921b5598f8303a1cdd9111e93a5.JPG

The four first class Parlour Cars ready for the new windows to be cut into the body sides.

Gibbo.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am looking forward to seeing these finished, with an all blue AL6 at the front.

Hi Clive,

Steady on there you do realise they are yet in "NEARLY STARTED" condition !

I shall have to get an AL6 painted up with a small warning panel and an early crest.

Gibbo.

Hi Folks,

I have been drilling cutting and also a small amount of filing, so far all of the Parlour Cars have had their windows drilled out and cut to rough size with one side of one of them having the windows filed to finish dimensions. I shall inset the doors once all of the windows are filed to size.

DSCF1084.JPG.be65cc704303fb554bc5de88e1813f72.JPG

Another part of the project that is on the go is this contraption which is an imaginary WCML Pullman DVT which has been concocted from two Hornby BSK mouldings that I got from Peter's Spares. It works out at 57' long which is similar to the Mk3 DVT's and has both driving and guards compartments along with a van area accessed by two sets of double doors. The off cuts from the other ends have been spliced together to make either a Mk2 or Mk2a FK,

DSCF1085.JPG.c9cbc7a456434faeb427def8178bbbbb.JPG

Mk2 PDVT

Gibbo.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Hi Folks,

Here is the Mk2a FK, it is made form the off cuts from the BSK that were used to form the Pullman DVT. The toilet window from the short end of the splice was swapped for the blank side from the other side so that when the windows that need to be moved to fit in the door the two windows either side of the splice would be the ones moved.

Conveniently by cutting down the outer edges of the window pillars to remove the two windows and then cutting the piece exactly in half and swapping the positions the two windows end up with the correct spacing between the windows to fit the door into the body side. I used .020" plasticard strips to make up the material lost from the saw cuts which were filed to centralise the section. I now need to sort out the door detail to match the rest of the doors and carve off all of the roof vents.

DSCF1086.JPG.6d0166015a822baf04d81efd7d3407c4.JPG

Corridor side shewing the newly repositioned windows and door, note that the window pillars to the outer ends of the windows either side of the doors are slightly narrower than those of all the other windows.

DSCF1087.JPG.43f3d89f06bc02a1be926298f1741f5e.JPG

Corridor side shewing the newly positioned toilet window.

Gibbo.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

11 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi Gibbo,

Re the FK, did this start off as plain mouldings or did you strip the paint? If so what do you use? 

Martyn.

HI Martyn,

The parts for the FK and the PDVT were from two new unpainted mouldings sourced from Peters Spares. There are both BSK and SO moulding available along with corridor end mouldings which is useful as some of my second hand Mk2's are missing some.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Folks,

The Mk2a FK has had filler applied and later sanded flush and also details for the mid corridor doors fitted. The chassis is a spare from making a Gloucester 128 motorised parcels van from a TSO and the interior has been fabricated from the compartments of two BFK's which have been swapped for the interiors of the TSO, these will then be in turn converted into BSO's. The roof vents from the short end of the splice were carefully cut off and repositioned inline with the others.

DSCF1090.JPG.a127e8e0abdfc6a8afeb2256e12e2846.JPG

Mk2a FK corridor side.

DSCF1092.JPG.e4c3983ccfcc7c9b64ac5d12555161db.JPG

Mk2a FK compartment side.

With regard the Pullman's for the PDVT I have added handrail and door details and cut and shut another spare chassis from building a Gloucester class 100 also form a TSO. I decided that a class 123 DMU style route indicator boxes were the way to go with the driving end, I had thought about putting the indicator into the corridor end as with the 309 Clacton sets but decided against it.

DSCF1089.JPG.99e9ff4163cda2b3f7bed5eeb5dd3b9d.JPG

The Parlour cars have now had all of their windows filed to finish size and now only need the doors to be inset.

DSCF1091.JPG.b7362c6fcb927bca642e13fee83e9f9c.JPG

First class parlour cars.

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Extra information, roof vents
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3