11 hours ago, Corbs said:

Hey Gibbo, the hump shunter is not dissimilar to the american switcher used at Meldon Quarry.

Hi Corbs,

Do you have a link for the locomotive as I can't find any diesels other than 08's at Meldon Quarry.

Gibbo.

• RMweb Gold

D'oh, Merehead, not Meldon. Hanson also have/had one at Whatley Quarry.

I think this one in the pic was the same loco that ran away and struck a (UK loading gauge) bridge as it's a US-sized loco.

The caption reads:

This is the type SW1001 General Motors built 'switcher' named Western Yeoman II that changed the course of UK freight traction policy forever.

Foster Yeoman Quarries had this standard American switcher delivered in 1980 as train weights at their Torr Works (Merehead Quarry) were reaching 2500 tonne with little available from the UK loco manufacturers Foster Yeoman ordered this GM SW1001 as an off the shelf purchase. The company considered buying two but General Motors said they would only need one because of their proven reliability. GM were of course right which paved the way for what came next in the shape of the General Motors class 59. They were basically an American SD40-2 in a European shape body shell. One of the first four of the GM invasion of the UK is seen behind No.44 in the shape of 59 003. Both locos are in the yard at Merehead Quarry on the occasion of the Branch Line Society 'Bedlam Belle' railtour visiting the quarry.

GM type SW1001  No.44 'Western Yeoman II' at Merehead Quarry.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I've been a bit busy recently with all sorts of stuff and the toy trains have taken a bit of a back seat.

This post is mostly concerned with first generation DMU's as I have various projects unfinished and I decided to have a look ahead so that I could decide what to do once the two AC electrics and rail-busses are finished.

I had a look and a sort out in my DMU box and within it I discovered:

• Swindon 123 Inter City DMU from Triang Mk1's, lining and transfers to finish.
  • BRCW 110 Hornby, transfers and buffers to finish.
  • BRCW 104 from a Hornby 110, transfers and buffers to finish.
  • Park Royal 103 from a Hornby 110, transfers and buffers to finish.
  • Gloucester 128 parcels from a Hornby Mk2 SO and Lima running gear, which is finished.
  • Cravens 129 parcels from Triang Mk1 BG with Hornby running gear, which is finished.
  • Three Craven 105's from DC Kits, part built, two with Lima power bogies and one as a dummy set.
  • Derby 108 from DC Kits part built with a Lima power bogie
  • Metro Cammel 101 from DC Kits part built with a Lima power bogie.
  • Derby Lightweight from DC Kits part built with a Hornby power bogie.

DSCF0748.JPG.dfba4ec5454d95b1b876421eb0304ddc.JPG

DSCF0749.JPG.cc0d0e67f69ed11cba2c1af5661e4482.JPG

Of the part built DC Kits models one of the Cravens the Derby and the Metro Cammel were quite well on with requiring painting as the next stage of construction. The other two Cravens and the Derby Light weight were still in their boxes so I decided to build up the bodies, bogies put the buffer planks onto the underframes. The underframes will need to be altered to accept the power bogies so the two under one of the Cravens will become trailer underframes in good time.

For those that wish to see the Kearsley shunters, AC electrics, the Rail-busses and the made up shunters I haven't forgotten, I'm just too easily distracted. With that its time for some Ducati action.

Gibbo.

• Like 5

Nice collection Gibbo. I had considered a Hornby 110 to 103 conversion, before thinking a class 100 is really what I need, although I've not got round to establishing how practical that may be and if Worsley sides / ends may be a better bet.

Martyn.

19 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Nice collection Gibbo. I had considered a Hornby 110 to 103 conversion, before thinking a class 100 is really what I need, although I've not got round to establishing how practical that may be and if Worsley sides / ends may be a better bet.

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

The 110 to 103 conversion is not too difficult as the body sides are pretty much the same profile. The windows of the 110 are slightly too deep for the 103 but not too bad for a cut and shut with the alteration being too much trouble for what it is. The modification to the cab windows and roofs are easy enough with the cutting off and filling of the route indicator box and a minor re-profile of the outer windows to follow the contour of the body side rather than the parallel windows of the 110. The guards compartment is a matter of filling in and cutting out new window apertures as per the diagrams linked below shew. The underframe detail of the class 103 is quite different but is easy enough to fashion from the bits from a centre car with some scratch built bits and bobs added.

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-100/official

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-103/official

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-104/official-3-car

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-110/official

The class 100 has a totally different body profile and other than running gear I don't think that the Hornby 110 would be of much use for a 100 conversion as may be seen in the above diagrams.

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Martyn,

The 110 to 103 conversion is not too difficult as the body sides are pretty much the same profile. The windows of the 110 are slightly too deep for the 103 but not too bad for a cut and shut with the alteration being too much trouble for what it is. The modification to the cab windows and roofs are easy enough with the cutting off and filling of the route indicator box and a minor re-profile of the outer windows to follow the contour of the body side rather than the parallel windows of the 110. The guards compartment is a matter of filling in and cutting out new window apertures as per the diagrams linked below shew. The underframe detail of the class 103 is quite different but is easy enough to fashion from the bits from a centre car with some scratch built bits and bobs added.

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-100/official

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-103/official

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-104/official-3-car

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-110/official

The class 100 has a totally different body profile and other than running gear I don't think that the Hornby 110 would be of much use for a 100 conversion as may be seen in the above diagrams.

Gibbo.

Thanks for the info, perhaps the Worsley class 100 sides/ends grafted onto the Hornby 110 roof may be the best way forward then if and when I get around to deciding what to do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks for the info, perhaps the Worsley class 100 sides/ends grafted onto the Hornby 110 roof may be the best way forward then if and when I get around to deciding what to do.

Will look forward to you tackling a 100 or a 103 Martyn, ill keep an eye out as non rtr DMUs are always interesting.

Cheers

James

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 05/02/2019 at 20:52, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

The Freightliner Caboose is now complete with the exception of its number. The numbers were rendered in red and as I don't have any suitable transfers numbering will be for another day. The red stripe is Railmatch buffer beam red which is a very good match for the red Hornby use on their old style Freightliner boxes.

The air pipes that are attached to the handrails are connected to the air pipes of the FGA that carries the caboose so that the guard could observe the air brake train pipe and main reservoir pressures and also apply the brake via a setter within the caboose. When the black paint is dry I shall dab some red and yellow on the ends of the pipes.

DSCF0644.JPG.584a2f960e8809f45c33cb94b732daf3.JPG

DSCF0645.JPG.60b911c3a7903396c63f7686e428aa6e.JPG

Gibbo.

Evening Gibbo, just about to embark upon detailing a rake or 2 of old triang/Hornby flats. Will be ordering the Skits detailing pack shortly, have you any drawings/dimensions of the caboose? Im holding your great work on this squarely responsible for this latest foray!

Cheers

James

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Evening Gibbo, just about to embark upon detailing a rake or 2 of old triang/Hornby flats. Will be ordering the Skits detailing pack shortly, have you any drawings/dimensions of the caboose? Im holding your great work on this squarely responsible for this latest foray!

Cheers

James

Hi james,

I scaled the whole thing from photographs but I can measure up and do a drawing for you hopefully by weekend. I also have some of the glazing cabochons that I used for the blistered window, PM with your address and I shall send you some in an envelope.

Gibbo.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/07/2019 at 00:20, Signaller69 said:

Martyn.

Hi Martyn and Gibbo

013a.jpg.8359687baa0a262042270d5bba421a1e.jpg

I have had a bash at doing a Gloucester 2car from a BRCW Calder Valley set.  since the photos were taken I have got me file out to create more of a curve on the bottom of the sides.

012a.jpg.445361e3c622c2ba10e1d186cf7685f0.jpg

I may even try to finish it one day.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

21 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi james,

I scaled the whole thing from photographs but I can measure up and do a drawing for you hopefully by weekend. I also have some of the glazing cabochons that I used for the blistered window, PM with your address and I shall send you some in an envelope.

Gibbo.

Thank you very much Gibbo, PM on the way

15 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Martyn and Gibbo

I have had a bash at doing a Gloucester 2car from a BRCW Calder Valley set.  since the photos were taken I have got me file out to create more of a curve on the bottom of the sides.

Hi Clive,

That looks pretty decent, a lot better than I would have imagined from the class 110 body sides. The trouble with the Gloucester sets is that they are very slab sided and the tumble home starts very low down compared to the BRCW body profile. Its hard to see how the straight sides could be extended downward without serious filling, filing and perhaps even gluing bits of plasticard strip to the lower edges.

As for finishing things in the that is what most of this thread is all about despite having started new stuff that is now not finished !

Gibbo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Martyn and Gibbo

This reminds me Clive, i still need to tackle the class 48 you kindly gave me the plans for @Doncaster show prabably a year ago.. note to self more modelling time required...

Cheers

James

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Martyn and Gibbo

Blinking 'eck, that looks great Clive. The turnunder seems to be right at the bottom of the sides and apart from this making the solebars look deeper than they are, is only really obvious on the cab end lower corners, where the cab lower edge sits on top of the buffer shanks so this may allow some subterfuge. Might have a go having seen this!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Yet another project for you Gibbo!

Im sure Clive will be along with words of wisdom shortly!

Hi James,

Should I do Gloucester class 100 it will be this one:

https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/11500

It will work in tandem with this Cravens class 105:

https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/11762

There are enough bits of BRCW in the spares box to make one in the future although this means that one of my Craven sets will have to built as a power twin. I shall build one of the Cravens as a power twin all the same so that I have the option once all my other DMU's are finished...................Ha-Ha !!!

Gibbo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

Should I do Gloucester class 100 it will be this one:

https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/11500

It will work in tandem with this Cravens class 105:

https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/11762

There are enough bits of BRCW in the spares box to make one in the future although this means that one of my Craven sets will have to built as a power twin. I shall build one of the Cravens as a power twin all the same so that I have the option once all my other DMU's are finished...................Ha-Ha !!!

Gibbo.

Nice images Gibbo, like your idea of a mixed set to match them. Ironically Bachmann only seem to do their Cravens as power twins, judging by the ones I've seen.

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Nice images Gibbo, like your idea of a mixed set to match them. Ironically Bachmann only seem to do their Cravens as power twins, judging by the ones I've seen.

Hi Martyn

They did do an ER unit with a DTC(L), one of the big batch that populated East Anglia and the Kings Cross suburban services. The batch that was built (after it was closed) for the M&GNJ . In fact for a line that was closed they built more coaches than the line ever operated with when in full swing. Something else I find strange they never ordered any DMUs for the Kings Cross services or more for East Anglia at the same time as they did for the closed M&GNJ line. I have a sneaky feeling they were built for the GN line and East Anglia and it one of those long term railway myths that will not go away. 

• Informative/Useful 1

35 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi Martyn,

RAILCAR.co.uk is a fantastic reference for all things DMU I even used when cutting and shutting this  from a bits of Triang Blue Pullman:

PC050488.JPG.f9a118daef26bc6afcbb390c71e0f95e.JPG

PC050489.JPG.f51630417c4f47160f7e2f9b11dcbf33.JPG

PC050490.JPG.bf1f39d6722a64420331698a86b32522.JPG

This is the only DMU that I have so far finished, since the photograph were taken it has had it transfers varnish and glazing applied.

As for Cravens, Bachmann !?!?  Buying stuff that comes in a box ?!?!  Me !?!?

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Martyn,

RAILCAR.co.uk is a fantastic reference for all things DMU I even used when cutting and shutting this  from a bits of Triang Blue Pullman:

PC050488.JPG.f9a118daef26bc6afcbb390c71e0f95e.JPG

PC050489.JPG.f51630417c4f47160f7e2f9b11dcbf33.JPG

PC050490.JPG.bf1f39d6722a64420331698a86b32522.JPG

This is the only DMU that I have so far finished, since the photograph were taken it has had it transfers varnish and glazing applied.

As for Cravens, Bachmann !?!?  Buying stuff that comes in a box ?!?!  Me !?!?

Gibbo.

3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Cravens....Mk1 coach profile.....Lima? Tri-ang? Hornby? Bachmann? Replica? 

Just suggesting....

Well, hmmm, I like both your thinkings. I could just about justify a Cravens on Crinan, really like the looks of the 103 in particular but the 100 would be useful on Dunnington for the final Officers Special so all may get tackled "eventually"..... Cravens may or may not come in a blue box if a cheap blue one is found, to save time, but otherwise the razor saw is going to be doing overtime!

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Cravens....Mk1 coach profile.....Lima? Tri-ang? Hornby? Bachmann? Replica? 

Just suggesting....

Hi Clive,

I built a Cravens 129 parcels unit from bits of Triang BG, does that count ?

Gibbo.

Hi Folks,

I've been busy with DMU's after last weeks sort out. The work undertaken has been the building up of the underframes for one of the Craven 105 and the Derby Lightweight and the addition of the roof ventilators to one the Craven 105 and the Derby Lightweight and the Derby 108.

The body of the the third Craven 105 had warped while in storage over the last week and so has been reworked ready for the continuation of the build. One of the kits that I bought must have been stored badly as the roof was so warped that the roof sections were warped so badly as to be useless, which is why the first Craven 105 that I built up utilised the roof sections of modified Triang Mk1 coaches, the body sides may well be the ones form this particular kit and may be why they have twisted after being built up.

This third craven 105 is to built into a power twin so that should I build a Gloucester 100 unit I may run it as the hybrid unit shewn in one of the above posts. So far all of the photographs of it that I can find shew both cars without roof vents which must be as a result of a partial refurbishment from what I have found out. Both of the units within the Gloucester 100 - Craven 105 set were powered so I shall have to manufacture most of the under floor equipment as the kit is for a motor and trailer set. I have yet to look into the replication of the body side profile of the Gloucester units as compared with BRCW units but I have noted that the angle of the ends of the body are set at a more shallow angle that that of the BRCW units. This means that I have three more vehicles to build up which means that I will have thirteen to be working through plus the ones that require transfers and glazing which account for another twelve.

Other works undertaken have been to spray paint some of my Freightliner flats, this job was rained off last autumn and as I have six left to paint this weekend also ! the rain has stopped today so I shall do the remainder later this afternoon along with the undercoat for the railbusses.

DSCF0763.JPG.8042474770197b72182fcaf1bf8d0c23.JPG

View of my busy bench.

Gibbo.

• Like 3