Bermuda Railway

rue_d_etropal

• RMweb Premium

That's all for Bermuda. All designs now in scales from N up to G1. Will have a look at the Planet loco, but need more info, hopefully a drawing to do theBrill.

Turned up this while looking for something else - I don't think it has been linked here before (apologies if it has).

http://www.bermuda-online.org/railway.htm

A good pic of the Planet locomotive in the above. Some interesting pics of the Astors railway as well, but still some doubts over gauge, some quote 2 foot and some other sources quote 18 inches.

Amazing work Simon - from not knowing about the railway existing.... to you having done most of the stock, in what... 18 days? !

So after a lot of consideration of doing my first ever model of a real location - I have to say I have chickened out, mainly due to the limited time on my hands and regular interruption of modelling time by a lot of on-call duty here. I know this is extreme cowardice on my part bearing in mind I drive round the source material all day!

So I am going to go for a working diorama with a single track passing through and exits stage right and left to connect to fiddlesticks either side (or further modules or a loop when I get home to the UK). I am looking to produce a what-might-have-been had other east end line been built. Thank God for aborted proposals. 

Orders duly placed on Shapeways (am I the first?) and a couple of other vendors who do some very nice cheap plain bungalows with no texture on walls or roof (exactly what I need) and a trestle bridge (of course) and suitable orders at the model tree shop. Also got me one of these which sets the scene nicely https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Big-Bird-5-WW2-Patrol-Flying-Boat-Aircraft-1-144-Model-US-PBY-5A-Catalina-BB5-4A/123574140244?epid=11008874518&hash=item1cc597bd54:g:TJQAAOxy-o5R0Rvb:rk:5:pf:1&frcectupt=true 

I already have a baseboard and now need to somehow get my hands on some suitable 9mm gauge flat bottom track which is significantly problematic as a single length of flexi is too big for posting to here!. Need to figure out what the colour and texture of ballast was (Mr Pomeroy doesn't seem to mention it) and also have a look at what Artitec may be able to offer me. I do have a few chassis here going spare from other projects so hope no one will look too closely under the motor coaches. The motor van remains problematic and I need to have a serious look at where to get a cheap 0-4-0 with coupling rods from.

Edited by ianmianmianm
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I already have a baseboard and now need to somehow get my hands on some suitable 9mm gauge flat bottom track which is significantly problematic as a single length of flexi is too big for posting to here!. Need to figure out what the colour and texture of ballast was (Mr Pomeroy doesn't seem to mention it) and also have a look at what Artitec may be able to offer me. I do have a few chassis here going spare from other projects so hope no one will look too closely under the motor coaches. The motor van remains problematic and I need to have a serious look at where to get a cheap 0-4-0 with coupling rods from.

I've seen it mentioned that the local coral rock was used as ballast so if it can be ground up small enough you shouldn't have a problem. The section between the two tunnels that I suggested above would be an ideal subject for what you now intend as it not only has the tunnels as a suitable scenic break but incorporates the Hamilton dockside and the Springfield trestle which was quite close to the Rural Hill tunnel.

Amazing work Simon - from not knowing about the railway existing.... to you having done most of the stock, in what... 18 days? !

So after a lot of consideration of doing my first ever model of a real location - I have to say I have chickened out, mainly due to the limited time on my hands and regular interruption of modelling time by a lot of on-call duty here. I know this is extreme cowardice on my part bearing in mind I drive round the source material all day!

So I am going to go for a working diorama with a single track passing through and exits stage right and left to connect to fiddlesticks either side (or further modules or a loop when I get home to the UK). I am looking to produce a what-might-have-been had other east end line been built. Thank God for aborted proposals.

Orders duly placed on Shapeways (am I the first?) and a couple of other vendors who do some very nice cheap plain bungalows with no texture on walls or roof (exactly what I need) and a trestle bridge (of course) and suitable orders at the model tree shop. Also got me one of these which sets the scene nicely https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Big-Bird-5-WW2-Patrol-Flying-Boat-Aircraft-1-144-Model-US-PBY-5A-Catalina-BB5-4A/123574140244?epid=11008874518&hash=item1cc597bd54:g:TJQAAOxy-o5R0Rvb:rk:5:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Is this suitable?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mini-Size-Motorized-Chassis-TU-KOPPEL-A-Tsugawa-Yokou-14036-N-scale-/352529176081

• Like 1

So after a lot of consideration of doing my first ever model of a real location - I have to say I have chickened out, mainly due to the limited time on my hands and regular interruption of modelling time by a lot of on-call duty here. I know this is extreme cowardice on my part bearing in mind I drive round the source material all day!

So I am going to go for a working diorama with a single track passing through and exits stage right and left to connect to fiddlesticks either side (or further modules or a loop when I get home to the UK). I am looking to produce a what-might-have-been had other east end line been built. Thank God for aborted proposals. 

Orders duly placed on Shapeways (am I the first?) and a couple of other vendors who do some very nice cheap plain bungalows with no texture on walls or roof (exactly what I need) and a trestle bridge (of course) and suitable orders at the model tree shop. Also got me one of these which sets the scene nicely https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Big-Bird-5-WW2-Patrol-Flying-Boat-Aircraft-1-144-Model-US-PBY-5A-Catalina-BB5-4A/123574140244?epid=11008874518&hash=item1cc597bd54:g:TJQAAOxy-o5R0Rvb:rk:5:pf:1&frcectupt=true 

thanks Ian. It has been an interesting project, not finished as I do want to do the Brill, and the Planet shunter.

For chassis, worth while having a look at PlazaJapan on ebay.

Great minds think alike, that is the 040 chassis I was thinking of. I think OO9 society members use Plaza Japan a lot. Even with import tax they are still the best value, and reliable.

I like those Flying Boats, always liked the Cat , but the Sunderlands would have be used as well until the airport was built..

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

Yeah I did see that chassis. I am still finishing up some work on my narrow gauge Portuguese micro so will assess the bodyshells when they get here and work out what I meet to put under them all in one go. Thank you all for th tips.

• Like 1

Okay folks, a bit late but I only just got this through from the National museum. A bit late for Simon but may be of help for those using the kits.

First off - a colleague at work let slip that a UK modeler - Tony Humphreys, her dad, scratchbuilt a set of 4 coaches. Apparently he was meticulous on colour schemes as a scratchbuilder and exhibitor, so these are likely to be a good guide. They were on display in the small museum by the Aquarium for a while, but are now in the care of the national museum but off-display.....

Apparently Tony, who passed away 15 years ago, was linked to the Gravesend club and maybe the Gillingham exhibition?

post-15788-0-28660500-1547152857_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianmianmianm
  • Like 3

Having problems adding pic xxxx7022 again which is the one above which doesn't display for me. But Its a picture of a picture of a Brill, the original being photographed is in clingfilm. Nothing there that the other photos don't show.

I've added all Brill photos I was sent, and I will bother the museum again in a couple of weeks as they have made good on their promise for now. Nothing for Planet apparently.

Nothing in colour other than B&W coloured after the event. I think there is one photo floating around that shows the Brills as grey.

• Like 1

Brilliant pics, note that there are differences between the two Brills, one of them appears to have a flatter cab front to the other.

Yeah I noticed that - cabside doors and windows also differ. Was looking at existing interurban models to try and see if a quick adaptation might do it. Slightly stumped myself by opting for N in that regard.

Also may be a bit tricky painting the epaulette stripes in N on the figures I plan to use to repaint

Edited by ianmianmianm
  • Like 1

nice photos.some are in the book,but not as clear as digital ones.

With respect the Brill. Is the classic photo of one pulling train across bridge, with people watching from shore, an original colour, or has it been coloured. looks like a publicity photo, or certinly ne used for that.

The models are nice, useful matybe for colour but the pullman coaches are too short. Presume builder assumed they were same as passenger part of railcar.

With respect to the differences between the two Brills, I wonder if they are from two different batches, one being longer than the other(not much though).

On searching online. I think both Brills are ex type 55. The other type, one ft longer, was only built in 1924, compared to the type 55 being built up to1938. They sold quite a few to South Australia Railway(3ft 6in gauge) and I have found drawings of those. They are only 8ft 4in wide, and other references to standard gauge Brills suggest they are 9ft wide. It is possible nos 200 and 201 are narrower, but other dimensions are similar to the SAR ones, so I should be able to work off those as well as giming the images to determine position of doors.

I am not sure if ends are that different, as photo of no 200 in Colin's book looks more angular than the above photos. The big difference between them is the big doors. There are photos of both sides of no 200, the one above has odd louvred panelling in what I assume was a door. One of the photos of other side shows a door at one end and window at other. Looking at photos of no 201, not sure is door is behind driver on bothsides, as on the 100/101, which would make it difficult to say if side is same in all photos. It seemed quite common to have sides rotated not mirrored in many of these early electric or petrol/diesel vehicles.

With that photo of front of either 100 or 101 I do need to add rivets. Not really visible for N gauge but necessary for bigger scales I think.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

It's all made its way through Shapeways processing and QC and on its way - the cars with the railings on the end were slowest to clear. I expect it'll get here in about 10 days. Will post photos here and then once I get cracking with the modeling, will start a new thread.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Parking these here for now until I have had a chance to get to buy track and chassis......

***Realy need one length of streamline N gauge flexitrax, but the lengths are too long to post by regular mail - anyone willing to cut a yard length into 2 x 45cm pieces and post them to me - will happily paypal for track, post, packing and toward your trouble?***

Bearing in mind extreme portability is needed as this will have to come back in aircraft luggage when my stint in Bermuda is done, I’ve gone for something minimal for now and wanted it to be obviously Bermuda. The box I already had as part of a Christmas gift, so In honor of Mr Dawson the lid of the box will form a frontward extension, basically to represent the sea to the front... and the just arrived model of a WW2 flying boat model will somewhat cliched place us into 1944 or so.

2 houses were ordered from shapeways, these are devoid of textures which work out great for the walls and will need some layering with card for the roofs and then painting in light blue and lemon yellow pastels.

Simon's masterpieces printed fine except for a weak spot on the loco cow catcher which glued back on okay but wants to come off again. Not a big deal and I suspect glue and paint will fix it but I may look for a n gauge etched one. This model is last on the list due to he complexities of getting a coupled power drive for it.

A slightly atypical trestle bridge which will sit on concrete pedestals but the funny thing about Bermuda is that tiny bridges for small gaps were common as the landowners would not sell properties that were in the way of th trackbed sonroutes could be circuitous. The track will exit stage left and right and I will do some kind of flexible arrangement to allow an oval to be run or alternatively fiddlesticks on each end.

The trees are from the model tree shop.... royal palms are okay, banyans probably not and I have yet to tackle the Bermuda palmettos. Looking for n gauge jeeps now. Already have some Bermuda sand for a small sandy area. Once I get started there will be a new thread under micro layouts. Thoroughly recommend these prints and keen to see them in a larger scale.

post-15788-0-15796700-1548451614_thumb.jpeg

post-15788-0-01005400-1548451654_thumb.jpeg

post-15788-0-54817700-1548451690_thumb.jpeg

post-15788-0-33286300-1548451732_thumb.jpeg

Edited by ianmianmianm
  • Like 2

Is stint the right word?  Most would give their right arm for such a stint!  This series on the Bermuda Railway and the old photos has been very interesting and now good to see some modelling.  Cute cat!

Brian.

• Like 1

Without disclosing my employer.... I am here for the second time, this time to train up a Bermudian to do the role long term. The cost and disruption of bringing in a Brit on 2 yearly contracts is significant for my employers who are a nonprofit providing a public facing service. I am loving being here but being able to move on is the indicator of success in my case.

So back to the modeling... rummaged round in the scenic spares box and n gauge spares I brought along and managed to mock up a bit further.... fortuitously I had packed an LED strip which is a dead fit for the box! The second bungalow has been dropped down a level to vary the landscape and gives a fine example of the classic Bermuda small rock face three feet from a front door

post-15788-0-38446500-1548464992_thumb.jpeg

post-15788-0-52961300-1548465046_thumb.jpeg

Edited by ianmianmianm
  • Like 2

looks great. Pity about the cowcatcheron loco. It is virtually same as on railcar, so odd that it should get damaged.

Yeah.. I realized you would have factored that in so that the thickness was more but the strength also me re. The rest of the cars are fine and even the catcher on the other end of the van. I wonder if it’s a packing issue but then again shapeways are outstanding in my experience at this bit. Any idea where to start looking for etched ones?

The mystery deepens. Two cars have lost balconies and steps which came off with the masking tape (tamiya). Had sprayed all black then masked off the railings etc before spraying crimson. Will have to brush in the other train. Simon, are you able to list up an alternative stronger material on shapeways? Happy to pay a bit more.... the trains arrived in thin bubble wrap inside clear bags. The big bubble wrap all round. Ta

The trouble with stronger material, is that it has to be printed thicker.In effect what used to be called WSF. I stopped adjusting designs for that when others started saying they preferred the smoother(but thinner) material. I never use spray paint, so never need to mask. Wijth the WSF I always put some cheap liquid superglue on small delicate parts9eg buffers), but not sure what would strengthen the FUD type plastic.

• Like 1